What Did You Buy Today?

New toy. Have asked the seller if they can replace the lock.
The press doesn't look new. Was it shipped to you by the seller and the broken screw was not previously disclosed?
It's just not clear why the seller should replace the broken thumb screw.

The press doesn't look new. Was it shipped to you by the seller and the broken screw was not previously disclosed?
It's just not clear why the seller should replace the broken thumb screw.

I'm guessing one of three things could be the possible truth here..

One, it was shown from an angle not showing the broken wing bolt

Two, the wing-bolt was fine before shipping and damaged in transit by the shipping company.

Three, the wingbolt was pre-fractured and left alone by the seller and broke away either in shipping or when @Shiseiji tried to undo it.

If it were me, I would remove the stub of the thread from the boss, bore the wing bolt head, tap it, insert a new threaded section that matches the original using Loctite Red, cross drill & pin it and get on with using it.

I'm guessing one of three things could be the possible truth here..

One, it was shown from an angle not showing the broken wing bolt

Two, the wing-bolt was fine before shipping and damaged in transit by the shipping company.

Three, the wingbolt was pre-fractured and left alone by the seller and broke away either in shipping or when @Shiseiji tried to undo it.

If it were me, I would remove the stub of the thread from the boss, bore the wing bolt head, tap it, insert a new threaded section that matches the original using Loctite Red, cross drill & pin it and get on with using it.
I would just use an extractor, drill it and extract it. Not sure about the pinning it. Remove it...

I would just use an extractor, drill it and extract it. Not sure about the pinning it. Remove it...

@woodchucker

Re-read the last section of my post, I think you either misunderstood, or misinterpreted what I was saying..

As for cross drilling and pinning, that would remove any chance of the new threaded section from unscrewing from the wing-bolt head due to the mechanical fastening on top of the chemical fastening (loctite red).

Last edited:
I call it "staging tools for future work", but I think I will pinch your phrase of "outwitting Murphy" and use that from now on.

My missus keeps asking "surely you have enough tools already", but never blinks when I say "so glad I have this tool so that I can fix this for you, aren't you glad I bought this when I did?" since she realises that had I not had the tool to hand, I could not have done the job! Works every time.

And no, my missus never complains about me buying tools, in fact, she often encourages me to do so knowing as she does that I never buy a tool without having a darned good reason or use case for it.

Might explain why I have tools for virtually every conceivable job.... I like to be independant of relying on other people to do a job I know I can do.
My wife is the same way. Fact is when she approaches me with a project she needs help with the first words she utters is "what tool do I need to buy for you the do this".

My wife is the same way. Fact is when she approaches me with a project she needs help with the first words she utters is "what tool do I need to buy for you the do this".

Almost the same with my missus... it is usually "can you repair this for me?", or "can you do this for me?" If I don't have the tools I usually respond with "let me nip down to "X" to get the tool and I will get it done for you.

It's a two way street. If I have the tools to do a job and she knows I have them, I get the job done. If I don't have the tool, I go and buy it with her blessing.

Hardest thing I have ever dealt with is not being able to tell her for three years that I was working with Raleigh UK on the design team for the (then) new 2023 MK-IV Raleigh Chopper. That got very awkward very quickly.

Not sure what the labor rate was but I surely never made it . :grin:
I've always done my own brakes and oil changes. It's very easy and way cheaper. Rarely go out of town and the Subaru gets along fine w/o winter tires.

Odd place to get body parts, but eh, to each their own I guess, wonder who took his original balls? :laughing:

On a serious note, why not MAKE the ball if you have a radius tool and the stock? Could make some from steel/ally/bronze/copper et-al in any size based on what stock you have to hand.
Did you make the mag chuck you just got?

Seriously though, do you have an equivalent to McMaster-Carr in the UK?

If not, I’m sorry. They have dozens of balls in various sizes and different materials. All available at your door the next day. When you buy materials from them you get a certificate (traceable) so you know what spec it conforms to. If you order the wrong thing they will take it back gracefully.

It’s like living in the America I grew up in, where companies care about their customers and try their very best to make sure you are pleased with your purchase.

I have some Delrin balls I bought a while back from McMaster. Not sure what I’ll do with them but when I need them I’ll have them available. If they’re the wrong material, or slightly off size I’ll go online and have exactly what I need the next day.

Now, that’s what I call a supplier….

John

If not, I’m sorry. They have dozens of balls in various sizes and different materials. All available at your door the next day. When you buy materials from them you get a certificate (traceable) so you know what spec it conforms to. If you order the wrong thing they will take it back gracefully.

It’s like living in the America I grew up in, where companies care about their customers and try their very best to make sure you are pleased with your purchase.

I have some Delrin balls I bought a while back from McMaster. Not sure what I’ll do with them but when I need them I’ll have them available. If they’re the wrong material, or slightly off size I’ll go online and have exactly what I need the next day.

John

I ordered some 3/8 x 24 inch 316 stainless shafts recently. They fell out of the box during shipping. McMaster-Carr shipped me two replacements immediately PLUS gave me a full credit so I got them for free. I buy a lot of stuff there.

John

Sadly McMaster do not have a UK arm. Shame really. They do seem the go to for small parts and components.

We do have MSC Direct and Zoro here though.

Back