What Did You Buy Today?

Wife's daily should be taken care of for a few years now
My wife's is a 2021 Subaru. Has been a good car. I don't think it ever cools off. 132K miles! It just got hit in the side $6500 to fix, uninsured driver hit it pulling out of a driveway. Considering trading for a new one.

My wife's is a 2021 Subaru. Has been a good car. I don't think it ever cools off. 132K miles! It just got hit in the side $6500 to fix, uninsured driver hit it pulling out of a driveway. Considering trading for a new one.
How does that work in Nebraska? Are you allowed to not have insurance? Is the driver on the hook, or did you go through your insurance?

That's like 30K miles a year! Wow! Those have to be highway miles...

I had been pondering the purchase with a buddy of mine. His comment, "Our wives are darned good to us. They let us get away with a lot of stuff. Just buy her a new one..." Sold! LOL!

This is our/my 5th Subaru. The first new one. Have had good luck with all of them.

30K miles a year! Wow! Those have to be highway miles...
Daughter & Gkids live in a small town & Gma makes very frequent trips. When Gkids are here they all get hauled to various games, fast food joints etc. 2nd daughter "borrows" the car since she says she doesn't need one and can bike anywhere she needs to go. Yea, right!

Went through our insurance. They will go after the other driver. Nebraska requires insurance. An accident W/O will need a court appearance. The court will require them to get an SR22 filing. Basically buying high risk insurance from an authorized company. Even if they sell the car and don't own any other vehicle they will still be required to have a Personal SR22 for 3 years. Failure to comply with a court order can result in prison time! Bottom line: a very expensive mistake.

Well... so much for making one... Sent an email to Walker-Turner (wtservice@walkerturnerllc.com) to see if they had the pulley, and I would then make the rest. Then started to search for a complete assembly and found one available on eBay. Not cheap but it was over a US$100.00 less than what folks have been asking for them...

View attachment 496596
Speed reduction pulley for a Walker-Turner drill press. I use this drill for metal and really wanted the lower speed... and I did not wanted to go the VFD route since I love the vintage looks of it...
funny, I'm in the process of making one of these for my 46 Delta 17" drill press. mine's going to go into the main tube with an offset hole. I was also considering a 3-phase motor with VFD but love the big old repulsion-induction motor. I just realized that we're practically neighbors.

PXL_20240702_195350725.MP.jpgPXL_20240710_185047555.MP.jpgPXL_20240710_193841900.MP.jpg

you install a regulator/filter and adjust the pressure thru it.
Yes a regulator is the final pressure control but the pump works harder at higher pressure and will last longer if stopped at a lower pressure, more energy efficient too. It just does not make sense IMO to pump up to 175 psi and then waste so much energy thru a regulator to get the 90 psi that I want.

So this happened yesterday....Victor 1640 lathe at an auction not terribly far away (150 miles). I wasn't able to see it in person, it doesn't seem to have any chucks and no steady or follow is pictured, but it does have a taper attachment. I actually have a really nice 3J adjustable on a D1-6 adapter plate that will be perfect for it. I also have an Aloris CXA with 25 tool holders that should be just what it needs. I've got a 10" 4-jaw that would work with a new adapter plate, but I think I'm going to get a 12" 4-jaw to take advantage of the available swing. I don't use the 4-jaw much when I've got a set-tru 3J on the lathe, so I wouldn't have to deal with large, heavy chuck too often. It was from an auction with a lot of other machinery from a lifelong machinist with an extensive home shop....they claim it's in working condition....we'll see. Terrible auction picture:

View attachment 495861
that's a frickin nice lathe. awesome.

Yes a regulator is the final pressure control but the pump works harder at higher pressure and will last longer if stopped at a lower pressure, more energy efficient too. It just does not make sense IMO to pump up to 175 psi and then waste so much energy thru a regulator to get the 90 psi that I want.
whatever I set my regulator to is what my compressor shuts off at.

Back