What Did You Buy Today?

To steer the the discussion back on topic, today I bought the following:

View attachment 496119

A Tajima JUST caulking gun, a 9mm Tajima cutter and a tube of Sika silicone.
I know it's useful stuff and proficient people can manage it properly but whilst I can manage a reasonably neat result, just putting a 2 foot bead of the stuff down ends up with me covered in the silicone sealant. I find it everywhere: up my arms; on my forehead; I've found it on the small of my back!:oops:

Nowadays, the missus does it. Like decorating, she quite enjoys it and does a very precise job and somehow manages to keep herself pristine!

So, what exciting job do you have to do then? Please tell me you're redoing your sauna; I know most national stereotypes are rubbish, but I want to believe everyone up your way has a sauna and lives a healthy, rewarding lifestyle. :)

I know it's useful stuff and proficient people can manage it properly but whilst I can manage a reasonably neat result, just putting a 2 foot bead of the stuff down ends up with me covered in the silicone sealant. I find it everywhere: up my arms; on my forehead; I've found it on the small of my back!:oops:

Nowadays, the missus does it. Like decorating, she quite enjoys it and does a very precise job and somehow manages to keep herself pristine!

So, what exciting job do you have to do then? Please tell me you're redoing your sauna; I know most national stereotypes are rubbish, but I want to believe everyone up your way has a sauna and lives a healthy, rewarding lifestyle. :)
Not redoing the sauna, but touching up the kitchen. After I’m done with this, I’ll take a sauna with the cat.

P.S. A proper sauna is made of wood and has no place for silicone in it :wink:

This sums up my friends' experiences on Festo as well. The reason why they don’t switch from Festo, is that Festool has such a wide range of specialty products for woodworking.

If you want to buy overpriced tools that will have problems, buy Hilti instead. Their SLA at least guarantees you a replacement the next working day :wink:
I love my hilti rotary drill. Only had to replace a cord. Got it used a d it's a beast.

I've had very good luck with my corded Milwaukee drills and saws. They even covered my saws all wobble drive at about 20 years old.

I started with DeWalt cordless in the 90s. I moved to Makita shortly after. My first 12v impact gun got a replacement trigger. I still have the operating gun and a few more. I moved to the 18v slide battery when it became time for new batteries again. I found it cheaper just to buy a new kit versus batteries though the years except about 6 or 7 years ago when I finally got a great deal on new batteries. I use my guns commercial every day and it's common to have them get a little warm. The only gun or drill I had trouble with was the first one that was fixed under warranty. I just spread the old guns around the place and still use them.

I've worked side by side doing the exact same thing as guys using other makes. I'm getting more done with less battery changing and no issues. Very easy to tell since we have the same number and sizes of screws to put in. If that changed I would look at other brands again. Until then, I'm very happy with the Makita's I have. Time is money for me.

Bosch Pro = Bosch Blue.

Bosch Consumer Grade = Bosch Green

Never had a problem with either, though there was that one Bosch Green hammer drill my late step father burnt out a week after purchase. I suspect that was more to do with not running it in and running it for extended periods than anything else.
My Bosch Blue date back 10 – 15 years, and with the exception of the angle head drill were factory refurbished. All are still going strong, although they don't see a lot of work. Plus, the LiON batteries still hold a reasonable charge.

My Bosch Blue date back 10 – 15 years, and with the exception of the angle head drill were factory refurbished. All are still going strong, although they don't see a lot of work. Plus, the LiON batteries still hold a reasonable charge.
Just my point. Heck, when you can order the parts (which I do) I maintain my own equipment to a high standard.

There is a truism I have grown up with since I was very young "Look after your tools and they will look after you by not failing when you need them most".

It has stood me very well and I have never had a tool unexpectedly fail on me. I have had "cheap" tools fail, but I expected that when I purchased them and they were only "emergency" tools at that because I did not have what I needed with me at the time. Such tools usually become the fodder of street bins when I have finished with them.

Some brands just are better at some tools and not with others. I’m almost 40 years into the plumbing trade and grew up with my carpenter dad so have decades of on the job tool experience. For many years no one could top the Milwaukee deep cut band saw, no one. But Milwaukee was years behind in battery powered tools. Bosch and Hilti make great rotary hammers and chipping/jackhammers. The Bosch 60 lb electric jackhammer was industry standard on construction jobs for years and years. Of course for us plumbers Ridgid is the king of the hill for all plumbing tools but some of their designs are just better.

Some brands just are better at some tools and not with others. I’m almost 40 years into the plumbing trade and grew up with my carpenter dad so have decades of on the job tool experience. For many years no one could top the Milwaukee deep cut band saw, no one. But Milwaukee was years behind in battery powered tools. Bosch and Hilti make great rotary hammers and chipping/jackhammers. The Bosch 60 lb electric jackhammer was industry standard on construction jobs for years and years. Of course for us plumbers Ridgid is the king of the hill for all plumbing tools but some of their designs are just better.

Not going to get an argument out of me about the Ridgid 1233 pipe threading machines... So easy to use, so quick to change the dies and so easy to cut, thread, deburr, cut-off, flip around, repeat and be done in under 2 minutes.

Just wish I could find a supplier for that cutting oil they use..... Never found anything better.

Nevermind, just found some and bought "a bit".... Just wish it was the old formula from around 1996.... That stuff had a unique scent to it!

Ridgid Oil.png

Last edited:
I could make a Ridgid threading machine scream with action. Cut, thread, deburr, assemble, flip, repeat, repeat, repeat. Hot oil smoking non stop…. I miss big construction plumbing.

Back