What Did You Buy Today?

I could make a Ridgid threading machine scream with action. Cut, thread, deburr, assemble, flip, repeat, repeat, repeat. Hot oil smoking non stop…. I miss big construction plumbing.

Did that more than once threading Stainless compressed air pipe using anything from 3/4" to 2-1/2" pipe, that 2.5" is a heavy mo at full length, still fun though.

Best was cutting a set*. Take some lenggths of pipe, cut all pieces to size for the set, then thread, debur, flip, repeat, eject repeat until all pieces for the set were done. The Chuck lock-ring was fun, two sharp cracks to engage them, then a hard crack to lock them, sort of sounded like "tang-tang, TANG"

We also used to spin the elbows / valves/tees/unions et-al on using the power of the machine with the elbow / valve /tee / union held in the jaws of a pair of stilsons. H&S nightmare, but fast, convenient and saved a massive amount of time. Learning to spin the PTFE (Teflon tape) on was not only fun, but good practice. Still have not forgottenm that particular skill.

* A series of various lengths of pipe for a run.

I could make a Ridgid threading machine scream with action. Cut, thread, deburr, assemble, flip, repeat, repeat, repeat. Hot oil smoking non stop…. I miss big construction plumbing.
We have one at work that only gets used occasionally. A young guy at work, who’s obsessed with anything old, saw it out one day and asked if they were getting rid of it because he wanted it. I told him that someone was using it and that it wasn’t going anywhere. Then, he asked me what it was.
The same guy bought a 1920’s reel type push mower to mow his yard. I’m waiting for the day he shows up to work driving a horseless carriage. Lol

Twins or are they breeding?? :laughing:

Ok, so I purchased a replacement to the one on the left. Never been happy with it.. it is not to my standard and it has always bugged me.

Had to borrow one of the thumb bolts from the old one as one was missing from the new one (one is on way from seller)

Looks better all around. Now I just need to find a local-ish person with a mill, or wait until I get my own mill later in the year before I can modify the foot.

SAM_0120.JPG

Last edited:
I actually bought it a few days ago but finally got it installed, Ingersol Rand compressor TS4N5 from Tractor Supply. One minor complaint, the instructions do not address adjusting the pressure switch and it appears they don't want it to be adjusted. I do not need the 175 psi "maximum pressure" it was set at and had to use a security torx driver to lower the setting. I added an after-cooler which lowers the temperature going into the tank quite a bit.

I actually bought it a few days ago but finally got it installed, Ingersol Rand compressor TS4N5 from Tractor Supply. One minor complaint, the instructions do not address adjusting the pressure switch and it appears they don't want it to be adjusted. I do not need the 175 psi "maximum pressure" it was set at and had to use a security torx driver to lower the setting. I added an after-cooler which lowers the temperature going into the tank quite a bit.
you install a regulator/filter and adjust the pressure thru it.

Well... so much for making one... Sent an email to Walker-Turner (wtservice@walkerturnerllc.com) to see if they had the pulley, and I would then make the rest. Then started to search for a complete assembly and found one available on eBay. Not cheap but it was over a US$100.00 less than what folks have been asking for them...

Reduction Pulley.jpeg
Speed reduction pulley for a Walker-Turner drill press. I use this drill for metal and really wanted the lower speed... and I did not wanted to go the VFD route since I love the vintage looks of it...

Back