What Did You Buy Today?

An air compressor off Facebook for $100. Really only wanted the tank, with a running motor a bonus. Go to pick it up, turns out it's a commercial behemoth, "Objects in photos appear much smaller than reality". It's huuuuuge. Had to tear it down completely to load it. Motor alone must be pushing 200 lbs. Somehow I survived doing some really sketchy stuff getting it out of my truck alone.

It's a greasy, grimy mess...but it runs like a top, pumped/held pressure, and pretty quiet. Now, I've got yet another project parked in the middle of my floor to work around, and can't do jack till it warms up and I can drag it all outside and degrease/powerwash it. And I still need a tank.
Pics... ??? where's the pics? it didn't happen with out PICS??? :grin:

why do you still need a tank? seems like you got it with the compressor?

Auction haul. Pics as requested @dkemppai :D
IMG_5314.JPG IMG_5315.JPG
Heat treat furnace, 10"x10"x10" IIRC.
Vibratory bowl, x2
Mitutuyo Indicator stands, x2
Hex and square 5c collect holder (now I need collets ...)
Not pictured, several boxes of misc hand tools

No, I don't need x2, it was an auction of over 900 lots so lots of things got combined. Have to decide if I sell off the extras. That'll probably happen when I can't decide where to store the unused ones.
Before anyone comments, this is not the final resting place of these things, the thing under the table cloth is my 3D printer. Heat on one side and dusty stuff on the other, next to 3D printing and precision measuring equipment is not workable.

An air compressor off Facebook for $100. Really only wanted the tank, with a running motor a bonus. Go to pick it up, turns out it's a commercial behemoth, "Objects in photos appear much smaller than reality". It's huuuuuge. Had to tear it down completely to load it. Motor alone must be pushing 200 lbs. Somehow I survived doing some really sketchy stuff getting it out of my truck alone.

It's a greasy, grimy mess...but it runs like a top, pumped/held pressure, and pretty quiet. Now, I've got yet another project parked in the middle of my floor to work around, and can't do jack till it warms up and I can drag it all outside and degrease/powerwash it. And I still need a tank.
Instead of just a like button they should also have a "my sympathies" button cause I hear you on the cold.
We're just getting over most of 2 weeks of zero F and below weather here. It got up to a balmy 25 today. So I bundled up and spent most of the day in my shop.
Just couldn't stay cooped up in the house any longer.

Instead of just a like button they should also have a "my sympathies" button cause I hear you on the cold.
We're just getting over most of 2 weeks of zero F and below weather here. It got up to a balmy 25 today. So I bundled up and spent most of the day in my shop.
Just couldn't stay cooped up in the house any longer.
Minnesota zero degrees means knee deep lake effect snow in upper Michigan. I'll take the cold over snow.

A few towns north of us picked up 50+ inches last week.

Pics... ??? where's the pics? it didn't happen with out PICS??? :grin:

why do you still need a tank? seems like you got it with the compressor?
I've got a smaller but decent compressor, wanted another tank so I'd have enough air cap to run my media booth and sandblaster without compressor running non-stop, was going to stack/connect both tanks rather than buying a whole new new compressor. Trying to do it on the cheap. Plus have a nice motor to make a belt sander or buffer out of. The honking big lifting eye should have been a glaring indicator that the description and reality weren't quite the same.

I've got to figure out how to get pics to my computer, hopefully someone can ID it so I can buy a rebuild kit. Tag is indecipherable. Who painted their compressors a sparkly light royal blue? Pretty sure it's US made, the purpose built tank is.

I could use it, but it's too big to fit where my existing compressor is, can't get it through my storage room door in any case, and it eats up too much floor space to leave it in my shop.

Though, on reflection, I could put it in my other garage, open space up there next to the 220 welder receptacle I've never used, and just run an air hose out when I needed large volumes of air. God knows my air compressor up there should be in a museum. It was an antique 50 years ago when my Dad bought it.

Just an FYI,
I believe they made collets for hex and square too.
So you're not out of the woods yet.
Not positive they make them for 5C.
They do make them for my 2J collet chuck.
I don't have them tho.
I have hex and square and some rectangle collets !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 19
That's why I like buying from Oakland Steel (steeldawg9061) on eBay: they do a great job of packaging and cram more in a fixed rate box than is humanly possible.
Pretty good prices, especially with shipping included.

That's a bummer about having to have it repaired. What was the ratio of repair cost to purchase cost?

For anything used, approaching 1/3 to 1/2 the cost new I start looking really hard at new. If it's something I need, that pushes really hard towards buying new. If something is used for a fair price, it had better be very clean looking. Original paint, very little visible damage, etc.

But buying on line, and without actually being able to test it out, it's always a gamble. Shopping carefully, I've bought a few things from ebay that were good deals. 8% to 10% of new. But those are pretty rare finds.
ebay price was less than half of new, appeared clean in the pictures and listed as, in working condition. Caveat was no returns, sold as is.
indicator was clean, appeared to have had little use and was totally sized due to poor storage.
Repair cost exceeded purchase price by $50
Generally speaking I take about the same approach as you do when buying used, no doubt this experience will have me leaning towards buying new in the future.

Back