What Did You Buy Today?

Bought the last 5 -5c collets I did not have. What I might do with a 5/64" I do not know, but if I did not buy it I would desperately need it next week.
Just an FYI,
I believe they made collets for hex and square too.
So you're not out of the woods yet.
Not positive they make them for 5C.
They do make them for my 2J collet chuck.
I don't have them tho.

Attachments

• 284306067580-1_1024x1024.jpg
    284306067580-1_1024x1024.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 13
Just an FYI,
I believe they made collets for hex and square too.
So you're not out of the woods yet.
They do make them for my 2J collet chuck.
I don't have them tho.
I have a few hex 5C, at least the ones that match a few common nut sizes.

A set of squares would be nice for the Chinese copy of the Deckel tool and cutter grinder.

At a local antique/junk store, a couple of toolboxes. One was a small Gerstner with a price of $650–way too much. The other was this very clean Kennedy 520:

View attachment 475032

View attachment 475031

Inside was all the original printed matter that came with it:

View attachment 475033

The bonus was that the drawers were brand-new clean but they were not empty:

View attachment 475034

The boxes of bits weren’t empty, either:

View attachment 475035

That’s about 20 3/8” Rex AAA bits, a dozen or so Firth Sterling 1/8” bits, but the big catch was the full box of six Cleveland Mo-Max 1/2” bits, which will definitely have a welcome home in a CXA holder for the South Bend.

Rick “paid an okay price for the box empty, given the like-new condition” Denney
Don’t leave us hanging: how much??

At a local antique/junk store, a couple of toolboxes. One was a small Gerstner with a price of $650–way too much. The other was this very clean Kennedy 520:

View attachment 475032

View attachment 475031

Inside was all the original printed matter that came with it:

View attachment 475033

The bonus was that the drawers were brand-new clean but they were not empty:

View attachment 475034

The boxes of bits weren’t empty, either:

View attachment 475035

That’s about 20 3/8” Rex AAA bits, a dozen or so Firth Sterling 1/8” bits, but the big catch was the full box of six Cleveland Mo-Max 1/2” bits, which will definitely have a welcome home in a CXA holder for the South Bend.

Rick “paid an okay price for the box empty, given the like-new condition” Denney

I have the same box. New condition, around $250 if I remember correctly.

Don’t leave us hanging: how much??
$125. I’ve seen them go for less (and it’s not my first 520–I paid less for the other one), but not in this condition. This one even has felt lining that appears unused.

And no shipping.

Those Mo-Max 1/2” bits are like $25 new and $10-15 as NOS. This was a box of six. And Rex AAA 3/8” bits get about that, and there are well over a dozen of those. I figure the $125 wasn’t unreasonable for the tool steel by itself.

Rick “thinking the not-pristine Gerstner box was worth about half of its marked price” Denney

Got my coax indicator back from Blake. Complete rebuild of a bad e-bay purchase, lesson learned on that one.
Saved about $10 over buying new and took 2 months to have rebuilt (got lost in the mail on the way back).
Blake was excellent to deal with though and I now have an as new indicator with full warranty.

IMG_7355.jpeg

Complete rebuild of a bad e-bay purchase, lesson learned on that one.
Saved about $10 over buying new and took 2 months to have rebuilt (got lost in the mail on the way back).

That's a bummer about having to have it repaired. What was the ratio of repair cost to purchase cost?

For anything used, approaching 1/3 to 1/2 the cost new I start looking really hard at new. If it's something I need, that pushes really hard towards buying new. If something is used for a fair price, it had better be very clean looking. Original paint, very little visible damage, etc.

But buying on line, and without actually being able to test it out, it's always a gamble. Shopping carefully, I've bought a few things from ebay that were good deals. 8% to 10% of new. But those are pretty rare finds.

An air compressor off Facebook for $100. Really only wanted the tank, with a running motor a bonus. Go to pick it up, turns out it's a commercial behemoth, "Objects in photos appear much smaller than reality". It's huuuuuge. Had to tear it down completely to load it. Motor alone must be pushing 200 lbs. Somehow I survived doing some really sketchy stuff getting it out of my truck alone.

It's a greasy, grimy mess...but it runs like a top, pumped/held pressure, and pretty quiet. Now, I've got yet another project parked in the middle of my floor to work around, and can't do jack till it warms up and I can drag it all outside and degrease/powerwash it. And I still need a tank.

Back