What Did You Buy Today?

Being in the Midwest is a curse as far as weather goes (I can't stand humidity and gloomy winters) but a blessing when it comes to machinery, and machinery auctions.

A local auction had a preview day close enough I could get to it which was important because their pictures of some things weren't great. They had a bunch of lots of QCTP holders, but you couldn't tell from them picture what size and often no indication of brand. I could see Aloris logos on some, many with tools still in them, so it was worth checking. I managed to get three lots that combined had 19 CXA holders, all but one were Aloris. I've been looking to add a few more holders for my 14" Logan that has an Aloris CXA on it so this was a win. I think I could sell the tools and pay for at least half of what I have in the holders...some nice Iscar stuff.

They also had a many lathe chucks but the pictures didn't show what they were and the descriptions were generic...like 8" 3-jaw chuck, nothing else. I looked through the row of chucks and spotted a dirty, but otherwise nice 8" Buck 6-jaw AT that I manage to get for $131 out the door. You had to look at it carefully in person (with a flashlight) to see the markings. I got it home and with ten minutes of cleaning the jaws are in great condition and it's still tight and smooth, so I don't think it got used much. I don't have an immediate need for a 6-jaw, but figured it'll be handy to have around.

Not pictured: the MIG welder I got to flip and pay for all of the above...put a lowball bid in and got it. Already tested and it works, so now I'll pull it apart, clean everything, replace the torch, work clamp, flow meter hose, etc.

fullsizeoutput_54f.jpeg

Being in the Midwest is a curse as far as weather goes (I can't stand humidity and gloomy winters) but a blessing when it comes to machinery, and machinery auctions.

A local auction had a preview day close enough I could get to it which was important because their pictures of some things weren't great. They had a bunch of lots of QCTP holders, but you couldn't tell from them picture what size and often no indication of brand. I could see Aloris logos on some, many with tools still in them, so it was worth checking. I managed to get three lots that combined had 19 CXA holders, all but one were Aloris. I've been looking to add a few more holders for my 14" Logan that has an Aloris CXA on it so this was a win. I think I could sell the tools and pay for at least half of what I have in the holders...some nice Iscar stuff.

They also had a many lathe chucks but the pictures didn't show what they were and the descriptions were generic...like 8" 3-jaw chuck, nothing else. I looked through the row of chucks and spotted a dirty, but otherwise nice 8" Buck 6-jaw AT that I manage to get for $131 out the door. You had to look at it carefully in person (with a flashlight) to see the markings. I got it home and with ten minutes of cleaning the jaws are in great condition and it's still tight and smooth, so I don't think it got used much. I don't have an immediate need for a 6-jaw, but figured it'll be handy to have around.

Not pictured: the MIG welder I got to flip and pay for all of the above...put a lowball bid in and got it. Already tested and it works, so now I'll pull it apart, clean everything, replace the torch, work clamp, flow meter hose, etc.

View attachment 470849
:you suck:

Back