What Did You Buy Today?

Look what arrived today:

20231214_122147.jpg

How exciting. I just need to build a stand for it.

I have a remarkably well made pallet, the 3 structural cross pieces of which, seem to be made of wood that would give lignum vitae a run for its money in toughness and mass.

They're also quite a good height to be used as the legs for a temporary bandsaw table (I have some 2by4 for two levelling legs to go either side of the point of the triangle).

Which reminds me. I need to ring my local machine shop (local as in about an hours drive away) Alladin's cave to see if they have another decently long workbench.

I now have space in my workshop for another workbench running most of the length of what my better half incorrectly insists on calling the garage. Hopefully the pallet wood based stand will.only be temporary and I'll have this bandsaw and my cheapy £30 Lidl bench grinder on it, decently far away from the pillar drill and lathe.

I've been after a beefier drill press for a while and this Cordia S-26 pillar drill came up locally at auction. Easy load out but a pain to get off the trailer until I discovered the small bolt stopping the head from come off. After that it wasn't too bad.

This will be going into storage until we buy a new house and move everyone up here from Texas next year. Then it'll get put back together and a vfd. It's beefy, around 700lbsIMG20231213174747.jpgIMG20231213174753.jpgIMG20231213174910.jpg

Look what arrived today:

View attachment 470548

How exciting. I just need to build a stand for it.

I have a remarkably well made pallet, the 3 structural cross pieces of which, seem to be made of wood that would give lignum vitae a run for its money in toughness and mass.

They're also quite a good height to be used as the legs for a temporary bandsaw table (I have some 2by4 for two levelling legs to go either side of the point of the triangle).

Which reminds me. I need to ring my local machine shop (local as in about an hours drive away) Alladin's cave to see if they have another decently long workbench.

I now have space in my workshop for another workbench running most of the length of what my better half incorrectly insists on calling the garage. Hopefully the pallet wood based stand will.only be temporary and I'll have this bandsaw and my cheapy £30 Lidl bench grinder on it, decently far away from the pillar drill and lathe.

Nice! I’ve used mine a couple of times now and it seems to do what it’s designed to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few more pics of the ‘threading mic’:

a557deb79d32c17ada343c4e307e7493.jpg

1ba01f58f0b68b3e4b478c619e4accba.jpg

04f89852acddc2a3d29b7e5cbbce35bc.jpg

After reading throughout the comments I learned the phrase ‘pitch diameter’:

b3b1f0cbcce073b0f24296e3c2b56a86.jpg

And then found the measurements that would indicate a well cut thread:

77070709c091f2e16d1852e60f40ddfd.jpg

So if understanding correctly now, the anvil is 60 degrees, meaning it can reach the depth of the thread, the opposite pin on the mic is flat giving a reading across the threads (the major diameter on one side) and then you check the resulting measurement vs the required pitch diameter. Sound right?

personally, my opinion is that it is not a thread mic..
It very well maybe, but not one like mine, or others I have seen.

personally, my opinion is that it is not a thread mic..
It very well maybe, but not one like mine, or others I have seen.

As you’ve probably gathered by now, I don’t know much about engineering and am very much still learning all of this :) So I will bow down to the knowledge of you all. What would suspect this mic is used for?

Could you post a picture of your thread mic so I can see the difference?

<snip
So if understanding correctly now, the anvil is 60 degrees, meaning it can reach the depth of the thread, the opposite pin on the mic is flat giving a reading across the threads (the major diameter on one side) and then you check the resulting measurement vs the required pitch diameter. Sound right?
No! You don't understand correctly yet. The quoted procedure is not useful.

I don't know what the intended application is for your mic.

I don't think it's appropriate to continue to flog this in the "What did you buy today" thread.
I suggest you start a new thread in the Beginners Forum and you'll get to the bottom of it.

In the meantime, searching on "thread micrometer" will offer up a plethora of information.

No! You don't understand correctly yet. The quoted procedure is not useful.

I don't know what the intended application is for your mic.

I don't think it's appropriate to continue to flog this in the "What did you buy today" thread.
I suggest you start a new thread in the Beginners Forum and you'll get to the bottom of it.

In the meantime, searching on "thread micrometer" will offer up a plethora of information.

Apologies. People had asked for more pictures so I posted and thought I was just replying to people. I’ll move this discussion to the beginners section.

Back