What Did You Buy Today?

That looks pristine. Great score.

Cutting oil is my blood.
There's a tiny bit of staining to the last 100 or so pages but nothing major.
I've been looking for a copy for months and this just popped up today. Pretty stoked to have one.

Score!
$20
6ec336a02b0f8ab420105e255d28901a.jpg
Over the years I've purchased about a dozen copies of the Machinery's Handbook. The first version was #22. I bought it new and used it in the shop where I worked. As time went on and I started purchasing machines for my own shop I couldn't find the proper thread profile for some of the fasteners on circa 1900 machinery. A little research revealed that information had been deleted somewhere in the 1930's and replaced with newer information more pertinent to the time it was written.

To that end I started purchasing different editions printed during the time the machinery I was collecting was built. I found Editions 12 through 18 have the most useful information for manual machinery. After that information on manual machine procedures starts to decline in favor of NC, and eventually CNC machinery. Edition 22 is about the start of Metric information. As the editions move on more metric is included and less imperial information is available.

Keep in mind these books are written to support the methods and procedures used in the industry at the time they were printed. As time moves on older information deemed obsolete is deleted and new more cutting-edge information is added. For the variety of machines in my shop I thought it prudent to have editions covering 1900 through 1980. With the recent addition of a couple newer machines, I also have editions 28 and 29 in digital format.

I must say I prefer the printed versions to the digital ones. Over time software and hardware changes to the point the older digital versions may no longer be accessible. I have several CD's and DVDs of machine manuals written on software from the 1990's. None can be accessed with the hardware and software currently available in the marketplace. I'll have to find both hardware and software of that era to be able to read them. If and when I do, I'll print them for future reference.

Major purchase just arrived ! :grin: 2 new wood blades for the vertical bandsaw . 93 1/2 x .020 x .375 6TPI . I need to cut small pieces for starting the wood stove . :encourage:

Over the years I've purchased about a dozen copies of the Machinery's Handbook. The first version was #22. I bought it new and used it in the shop where I worked. As time went on and I started purchasing machines for my own shop I couldn't find the proper thread profile for some of the fasteners on circa 1900 machinery. A little research revealed that information had been deleted somewhere in the 1930's and replaced with newer information more pertinent to the time it was written.

To that end I started purchasing different editions printed during the time the machinery I was collecting was built. I found Editions 12 through 18 have the most useful information for manual machinery. After that information on manual machine procedures starts to decline in favor of NC, and eventually CNC machinery. Edition 22 is about the start of Metric information. As the editions move on more metric is included and less imperial information is available.

Keep in mind these books are written to support the methods and procedures used in the industry at the time they were printed. As time moves on older information deemed obsolete is deleted and new more cutting-edge information is added. For the variety of machines in my shop I thought it prudent to have editions covering 1900 through 1980. With the recent addition of a couple newer machines, I also have editions 28 and 29 in digital format.

I must say I prefer the printed versions to the digital ones. Over time software and hardware changes to the point the older digital versions may no longer be accessible. I have several CD's and DVDs of machine manuals written on software from the 1990's. None can be accessed with the hardware and software currently available in the marketplace. I'll have to find both hardware and software of that era to be able to read them. If and when I do, I'll print them for future reference.
Your experience aligns with my hunch. I have all manual machines so I kept looking for older editions thinking that newer editions would likely have dropped the info that's relevant to my machines and skills.

Timely post for me.
I didn't have a Machinery handbook and found a decent deal on a hardbound 23rd edition.

Last edited:
Can you date that Tom ? I have my Uncle's Dad's from 1916 that looks very similar . I thought I found it on some site but can't remember where . Check on the bottom of the drawers for dates .

Back