What Did You Buy Today?

The B7510 has the LA302 loader which is only good for 675 lbs or so . I can run the stump grinder on the PTO but that tractor jumps when doing a large stump ! :eek: I'm looking at a log mill in the future so more lifting is needed for some of these logs . I'll have to check out the Kiotis before I make a move . :encourage:
Wait a minute: you mean there are tools that you don’t have at all, much less multiples in your possession??

Nothing as exciting as a tractor here, but I'm tickled by these purchases regardless.

VIS 12" level. Built like a tank, and in very nice used condition for $68.

Surplus shop on eBay listed the 1" mic, and I won the bidding at the princy sum of $85. New and sealed.

The matching 2" came from Amazon Warehouse. "Very good used" condition, which translated to still sealed in the original bag. This one was more money, $128 shipped.
20231122_112519.jpg
Both of the mics seem to be real deal Mitutoyo's. If they are fakes, I'm fooled.

Last item lacks a photo, but it's a lathe back splash panel from Grizzly that I got for $222 shipped. It will need some minor modding to fit my machine, but it's 90% there already, and I'd be hard-pressed to buy the metal to make something better for the same price in my local market.

1700809479887.png

One of each hook in the Facom CKS system :chunky: Pretty much the only way I can ensure that in the future I will order the best fitting hook for each tool. Couple of hooks are missing from the list, because I already own them.

Attachments

• 1700809277004.png
    1700809277004.png
    324 KB · Views: 16
Got these today, way ahead of schedule.
Ordered these on Thurs Nov 23rd.. Got here today. Really nice.. And 4 for 29.95 They were in my watch list for 49.95.
Very happy. They fit the tool post nicely. I haven't used them.. But they look good for the price.
PXL_20231125_171241656.jpg

Got these today, way ahead of schedule.
Ordered these on Thurs Nov 23rd.. Got here today. Really nice.. And 4 for 29.95 They were in my watch list for 49.95.
Very happy. They fit the tool post nicely. I haven't used them.. But they look good for the price.
View attachment 468098

That’s a great deal. I’ve put them on watch as well as they’re now out of stock. Buying them and getting them shipped to the UK is still far cheaper than ordering on UK EBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some recent additions to the shop..

Haas had a really good special going on their tool pre-setter and shrink fit machine a while back. Ended up being 30% off, and 20 tool holders thrown in to sweeten the deal.

The pre-setter is pretty slick. It measures tool diameter and length. The diameter is particularly interesting for me. I don't really have a way to check things on diameters due to the nature of tooling and the limited amount of measuring tools I have. In addition to diameter and length it can also do things like tell you when insert in a shell mill is the lowest, etc. This integrates really well with their latest control. Not a thing for me today, but I like the possibilities. Should be a big timesaver, as well as improve the quality of the parts I'm making along the way.

1700960036316.png

The shrink fit machine has an induction heater to heat up a shrink fit tool holder. It expands, the tool is dropped in, and then the machine uses an air blast to cool the holder off. The clamping force a lot higher than collet holders, the runout is very low, and they fit in small pockets because of the small nose diameter.

1700959805821.png

1700959980912.png
I went with the shrink fit machine because of their promo. I’m excited to get this stuff in service.

I’ve had a Jet JBG-8 8” bench grinder since 2009 or so. I have always used it with a deburring wheel and a wire wheel. The grinder has always felt underpowered and easy to stall out when leaning into the wire wheel. I’ve looked at upgrades a few times this year. Always after a big deburring session on plasma cut parts. Turns out Jet makes two lines of bench grinders. Mine is the lighter duty offering. Generally speaking, I want higher quality tools than Jet offers. With that said, I have no complaints about the lighter duty grinder I have. I’ve read good things about the more industrial offerings.

I spent way too much time looking at bench grinders, and wire wheels. In the end I couldn’t justify $6k or more on a new Baldor. Home Depot’s 10% veteran’s discount put the 12” Jet Industrial bench grinder and stand within the budget.

1700959952149.png

The Jet industrial grinder does not dissapoint. It's doing a great job for me!

Then.. Haas Tooling had another one of their f'ing sales!

IMG_4250.jpeg

The two boxes top center and top right I already had, the rest of the pin gauges, pin gauge holders, setup blocks, and all the thread gauges came from the Haas sale. Came in right at half price. At some point I'd like to get pin gauges up to 1". Can't complain, just tends to hit the checkbook kinda hard ;)

A guy advertised a new in the box Atlas collet chuck. It's a modern copy of the Hardings Sjogren style. A 2J version came with my Pacemaker. These are really nice for collet work. Much better than a draw bar style collet closer for my Acra lathe. On the Acra the lever bears on the belt cover which is made of fiberglass. It's bound to crack or break with a lot of use. Anyway the advertised new chuck was not near the "you'll never see a better deal" he advertised. This got me back on ebay looking at used. A couple of low ball best offers and I ended up with a 2J and a 5C version for the Acra. For much less than the so called good deal. The 2J is in great shape and ready to put in work.

IMG_4242.jpeg

The 2J collets go up to 1-3/8. I have a set in sixteenths up to 1-3/8. I have a very comprehensive collection of 5C collets, so it's not all lost having a 5C version as well. I think it needs a bath in evaporust. Or maybe just a disassemble and trip through the ultrasonic. The action is smooth and threads are in good shape. I really like the older style metal hand wheels.

IMG_4256.jpeg

Some recent additions to the shop..

Haas had a really good special going on their tool pre-setter and shrink fit machine a while back. Ended up being 30% off, and 20 tool holders thrown in to sweeten the deal.

The pre-setter is pretty slick. It measures tool diameter and length. The diameter is particularly interesting for me. I don't really have a way to check things on diameters due to the nature of tooling and the limited amount of measuring tools I have. In addition to diameter and length it can also do things like tell you when insert in a shell mill is the lowest, etc. This integrates really well with their latest control. Not a thing for me today, but I like the possibilities. Should be a big timesaver, as well as improve the quality of the parts I'm making along the way.

View attachment 468155

The shrink fit machine has an induction heater to heat up a shrink fit tool holder. It expands, the tool is dropped in, and then the machine uses an air blast to cool the holder off. The clamping force a lot higher than collet holders, the runout is very low, and they fit in small pockets because of the small nose diameter.

View attachment 468152

View attachment 468154
I went with the shrink fit machine because of their promo. I’m excited to get this stuff in service.

I’ve had a Jet JBG-8 8” bench grinder since 2009 or so. I have always used it with a deburring wheel and a wire wheel. The grinder has always felt underpowered and easy to stall out when leaning into the wire wheel. I’ve looked at upgrades a few times this year. Always after a big deburring session on plasma cut parts. Turns out Jet makes two lines of bench grinders. Mine is the lighter duty offering. Generally speaking, I want higher quality tools than Jet offers. With that said, I have no complaints about the lighter duty grinder I have. I’ve read good things about the more industrial offerings.

I spent way too much time looking at bench grinders, and wire wheels. In the end I couldn’t justify $6k or more on a new Baldor. Home Depot’s 10% veteran’s discount put the 12” Jet Industrial bench grinder and stand within the budget.

View attachment 468153

The Jet industrial grinder does not dissapoint. It's doing a great job for me!

Then.. Haas Tooling had another one of their f'ing sales!

View attachment 468148

The two boxes top center and top right I already had, the rest of the pin gauges, pin gauge holders, setup blocks, and all the thread gauges came from the Haas sale. Came in right at half price. At some point I'd like to get pin gauges up to 1". Can't complain, just tends to hit the checkbook kinda hard ;)

A guy advertised a new in the box Atlas collet chuck. It's a modern copy of the Hardings Sjogren style. A 2J version came with my Pacemaker. These are really nice for collet work. Much better than a draw bar style collet closer for my Acra lathe. On the Acra the lever bears on the belt cover which is made of fiberglass. It's bound to crack or break with a lot of use. Anyway the advertised new chuck was not near the "you'll never see a better deal" he advertised. This got me back on ebay looking at used. A couple of low ball best offers and I ended up with a 2J and a 5C version for the Acra. For much less than the so called good deal. The 2J is in great shape and ready to put in work.

View attachment 468147

The 2J collets go up to 1-3/8. I have a set in sixteenths up to 1-3/8. I have a very comprehensive collection of 5C collets, so it's not all lost having a 5C version as well. I think it needs a bath in evaporust. Or maybe just a disassemble and trip through the ultrasonic. The action is smooth and threads are in good shape. I really like the older style metal hand wheels.

View attachment 468146
you must be feeling a lot lighter after all that buying.

I found a steel table close to home. 4'x10' with a 1" thick top. By no means a Fireball or Siegmund but most of the table is flat within .005-.010. One end has a dip of .015 but that will get the vises and probably a grinder. Price was reasonable and the top is thick enough to give a good grip to my mag drill. I think the builder should have put cross bracing on the ends rather than relying on the center support but it will work for what I need.

Dave

EDIT. Better numbers are .01-.015 for most but .025 towards end with dip.

Attachments

• DSCN4502.JPG
    DSCN4502.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN4504.JPG
    DSCN4504.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back