What Did You Buy Today?

Got these today, way ahead of schedule.
Ordered these on Thurs Nov 23rd.. Got here today. Really nice.. And 4 for 29.95 They were in my watch list for 49.95.
Very happy. They fit the tool post nicely. I haven't used them.. But they look good for the price.
View attachment 468098
I bought the 5 piece set $48.48 about a week previous, and I got at least 2 in the 5 piece set I may need to recut the floor where the tool fits in the corner or ask to send them back?. When I tightened down square tooling it tilted Outward visibly at the top which makes me worry if the tooling were to chatter, I hope the tooling doesn't "slip" further outward. Also misaligns the top angle I would think.?

Previously bought the 250-2-- series set with larger wedge tool post from a "greenmood" on ebay, the internal corner angles are square but also have a fair amount of HSS smaller tooling for my, existing AXA post tool holder so bought some extra holders from Labworks.
Maybe the 4 piece set is fine.
Just something to check. I rechecked the listings and is definitely from the same seller.

I have sent a request as to what to do next to the seller.

Again I Hope your set is Perfect. Probably would not have posted this but, It is just that you didn't mention mounting any tooling in the holders yet.

Last edited:
We were in the local "Do It Yourself" store looking around. The tools they carry are basic stuff. I spotted this scribe. Priced at 18 baht - about .50 cents. Couldn't pass that up, it was the only one, or would have got a couple more

Attachments

• scribe.jpg
    scribe.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 37
I found a steel table close to home. 4'x10' with a 1" thick top. By no means a Fireball or Siegmund but most of the table is flat within .005-.010. One end has a dip of .015 but that will get the vises and probably a grinder. Price was reasonable and the top is thick enough to give a good grip to my mag drill. I think the builder should have put cross bracing on the ends rather than relying on the center support but it will work for what I need.

Dave
That is an odd way to frame a table but, it's easy enough to add additional framing. It seems to be very flat for a piece of plate. I like it!

I bought the 5 piece set $48.48 about a week previous, and I got at least 2 in the 5 piece set I may need to recut the floor where the tool fits in the corner or ask to send them back?. When I tightened down square tooling it tilted Outward visibly at the top which makes me worry if the tooling were to chatter, I hope the tooling doesn't "slip" further outward. Also misaligns the top angle I would think.?

Previously bought the 250-2-- series set with larger wedge tool post from a "greenmood" on ebay, the internal corner angles are square but also have a fair amount of HSS smaller tooling for my, existing AXA post tool holder so bought some extra holders from Labworks.
Maybe the 4 piece set is fine.
Just something to check. I rechecked the listings and is definitely from the same seller.

I have sent a request as to what to do next to the seller.

Again I Hope your set is Perfect. Probably would not have posted this but, It is just that you didn't mention mounting any tooling in the holders yet.

thanks, I'll check it. I visibly checked, but may have missed.

Most all the Chinese tooling is made in maybe one or two factories.. with lots of cnc machines running. The batches are probably run and changed, moved on to another product, then come back when stock is low and reordered. So you may get a dud. Same can happen here in the USA, but the diff is QA mostly.. Some made in USA products that are not so great pass through.

If I have to recut no big deal.. I can grind it too if it's hard..

I bought one of another repairmans stash, he passed a few months ago and had several stashes.
He primarily worked on smaller machines Bridgeports,Hardinge, Clausings and BP clones.
I had to buy it all to get what I wanted but I truly had no idea what I was getting!20231126_105054.jpg20231126_105117.jpg20231125_113512.jpg20231125_113736.jpg20231126_105058.jpg20231126_105108.jpg

I really didn't need or want all this stuff.
I had my eyes on his 10 inch clausing lathe and his new bridgeport and servo parts,
Ok...and two bridge straight edges.
There are 5 BP variable speed heads in peices and an enco variable speed head, I think.
Many loose used BP parts, a new slide and compound I don't know what it fits.
Two dividing heads one is a sine dividing head. New screws and nuts, southbend tailstock, 10 4 jaw chucks 5 - 10 face plates,
Milling attachments for lathe, Motors.
and I am only two loads in, there are Motors, scales and I am not sure what else on the messaging.
If anyone is looking for anything please inquire. I have a bay to inventory and divide for a short period of time.

thanks, I'll check it. I visibly checked, but may have missed.

Most all the Chinese tooling is made in maybe one or two factories.. with lots of cnc machines running. The batches are probably run and changed, moved on to another product, then come back when stock is low and reordered. So you may get a dud. Same can happen here in the USA, but the diff is QA mostly.. Some made in USA products that are not so great pass through.

If I have to recut no big deal.. I can grind it too if it's hard..
@455dan So I just checked the holders. I wonder if you are hitting a slight radius at the back of the groove.
If I push the tool to the back wall, it does not sit square since there is an ever so slight radius. If I just let it sit on the bottom ledge as far back as it will go without hitting the radius it sits square.. I checked against a bunch of other holders I have, and they all exhibit the radius, so I don't believe there's a problem.

@455dan So I just checked the holders. I wonder if you are hitting a slight radius at the back of the groove.
If I push the tool to the back wall, it does not sit square since there is an ever so slight radius. If I just let it sit on the bottom ledge as far back as it will go without hitting the radius it sits square.. I checked against a bunch of other holders I have, and they all exhibit the radius, so I don't believe there's a problem.
Could be. I never noticed it with my BXA holders or my older AXA ones though.

here is a pic and I agree it may just be a bit more pronounced on the ones I got I had to set the tooling away- but also look at the light under the tooling even with space instead of against the wall. This is close up and a bit over exposed.
that is also cranked down tight. It is still rotating the tooling somewhat as well. I tested this same tooling in my BXA holders and they do not show this kind of fit.
I thought that using the back wall as a contact area is desirable? More contact should make for better support?
ps. These were very inexpensive so not expecting perfection ... Probably If I had not bought the Greenmood BXA holders first, it would not bother me. But the larger BXA ebay holders do fit far better along with holders that came with the old lathe.

Attachments

• PXL_20231126_210537189_exported_11870~2.jpg
    PXL_20231126_210537189_exported_11870~2.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

here is a pic and I agree it may just be a bit more pronounced on the ones I got I had to set the tooling away- but also look at the light under the tooling even with space instead of against the wall. This is close up and a bit over exposed.
that is also cranked down tight. It is still rotating the tooling somewhat as well. I tested this same tooling in my BXA holders and they do not show this kind of fit.
I thought that using the back wall as a contact area is desirable? More contact should make for better support?
ps. These were very inexpensive so not expecting perfection ... Probably If I had not bought the Greenmood BXA holders first, it would not bother me. But the larger BXA ebay holders do fit far better along with holders that came with the old lathe.
The pic makes it hard to see what is going on. Mine are AXA holders. I have no idea what the Greenmood company is. Is it made outside of China?

Here's a couple of pics of mine. All appear to be the same.
I put a depth mic on the HSS to the block, top and bottom measure the same stick out.. so square as far as I am concerned.
That's a piece of MoMax HSS, I checked it for square, and it is.

Attachments

• PXL_20231127_161010958.jpg
    PXL_20231127_161010958.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20231127_161036960.jpg
    PXL_20231127_161036960.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 21
Back