What Did You Buy Today?

Here's a couple of pics of mine. All appear to be the same.
I put a depth mic on the HSS to the block, top and bottom measure the same stick out.. so square as far as I am concerned.
That's a piece of MoMax HSS, I checked it for square, and it is.
Yours look good to me. I would be just fine with that.

The light under the tooling is really there on the ones I received, even though it is a poorly taken pic and the focus accentuated the amount of light , the floor is just not flat, contact is made only on the outer edge and inner corner edge of the tooling I tried, even with square tooling moved out from the wall. Greennmood (I misspelled it in previous posts) is just a different china? tool holder seller on ebay. Their BXA set was about $180 for an 11 piece set doing the same light test with the same cutter no light is getting under the tooling and does not exhibit the slight rotation of the tool to make contact with the outer floor edge when tightened down. It just sits flat, like the pics of yours.
No biggie. Sorry for thread drift.

Another purchase on the way. I want to modify my old TLB to have a hydraulic thumb on the backhoe. So a Rube Goldberg idea to be tested.

Already added the mechanical thumb a year or two back. But is a beast to pin and re pin it weighs almost 120 lb
Don't have a power beyond available so going to try this self contained 12 volt pump/reservoir

https://www.vevor.com/hydraulic-pow...Pyvr4oeIIhpHnWhULNQ4v5Vi8eB8mNPxoCrVcQAvD_BwE

and a 3" Bore x 16" Stroke double acting cylinder

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_224115619.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231125_224115619.MP.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20231125_225145109.jpg
    PXL_20231125_225145109.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Could be. I never noticed it with my BXA holders or my older AXA ones though.

here is a pic and I agree it may just be a bit more pronounced on the ones I got I had to set the tooling away- but also look at the light under the tooling even with space instead of against the wall. This is close up and a bit over exposed.
that is also cranked down tight. It is still rotating the tooling somewhat as well. I tested this same tooling in my BXA holders and they do not show this kind of fit.
I thought that using the back wall as a contact area is desirable? More contact should make for better support?
ps. These were very inexpensive so not expecting perfection ... Probably If I had not bought the Greenmood BXA holders first, it would not bother me. But the larger BXA ebay holders do fit far better along with holders that came with the old lathe.
Send 'em back.

A couple of Milwaukee batteries and a Packout™ compact wall plate:

1701117629266.png

A pretty sweet deal on these items, delivered free to my doorstep :cupcake:

My Fowler-branded mics up to 4” have served me well enough, but I have to admit that they are not the soul of repeatability when measuring tenths (and they have tenth-reading verniers). I bought them many years ago and thought they might be Japanese, but I’ve changed my mind on that.

I needed a metric-reading mic for clock work and picked up a couple of the 0-25 Soviet-era mics, which are excellent and really made me realize the Fowlers were a bit squishy.

My bigger mics are all Lufkins, and are probably pictured upthread.

But I have misplaced the 0-1 Fowler temporarily, and I decided I needed redundancy. Plus, I’ve been confined to home with the flu and eBay is just too convenient. So, I started fishing for old Starrett mics. I avoid Mitutoyo because they are too often fakes, and Mahr is just too expensive.

I ended up with these:

IMG_1087.jpeg

What the heck, it’s a mix of plain, ratchet, and friction, but they all work perfectly and are spot on. Only the 1-2 doesn’t have carbide anvils, but I’m a careful guy. I ended up with two 0-1’s when I saw a deal I couldn’t pass up on the T230XRL after having bought the T230L. I got a T230L, a T230XRL, a T2RL 1-2, a T436XRL 2-3, and a T436XFL 3-4. Used manual-reading Starrett mics are a good enough deal that there’s no reason to buy less, it seems to me. These are on a par with the premium USSR mics. Old and good.

But back to Mahr. I did scratch the Mahr itch with this:

IMG_1088.jpeg

Yup, these are better than Starrett. Amazing feel. Bigger ones exceeded my itch-scratching budget, however.

I can spread these around.

And I bought a bevy of Starrett machinist clamps, a pair of 161-A, a pair of 161-C, and a 161-E. Can’t have too many of those.

Finally, this:

image.jpg

This is a 0.251-0.500 gauge pin set branded Ralmike’s. You guys probably saw these on eBay. It’s missing a few and a couple are replacements. The index is chintzy styrofoam with (now faint) size markings in a metal case, but these were well under the import set prices. The key gap is around 3/8, but I can replace those individually from Vermont, which probably made these. The question I had was whether these were plus or minus, but the measure to be +0.0001/-0.0000 in my spot checks, which I call neutral. Abundantly good for what I do. They extend my good sets of Meyer minus pins below a quarter inch. They are all shop-grade, but that’s fine with me.

I also picked up a couple of 1940’s Stanley planes to refurbish—not old enough to be collectible and expensive but old enough to be good quality. Pennies on the fancy-brand dollar and they will make good users for cellulose-composite machining. Yeah, wrong forum :)

Rick “man with two mics never knows what size the part is” Denney

Last edited:
Heh. I just spent my purchase price again filling in the blanks with Vermont Gage onesies. Probably could have done with just a few for now. Oh, well!

And the replacements are minus-size; my usual preference. I’ll have to mark then carefully.

Rick “goofy” Denney

The wife and I just got back from Hobby Lobby. I had noticed they sell 4” square mirrors. I need 1 to finish up my Geo. Scherr toolbox. I also found in the remnants a yard of green felt. As I plan on re-felting a Gerstner I picked up a few weeks ago. Not Grerstner quality felt bay any stretch. But for $3.69 I will give it a go. I am not restoring it so I am fine with that the mirrors were 2 for 1.99

042f2b4a32c308da7114c5124413344e.jpg

Here is the mirror installed.
6b2ab9fbbc6e89b884da3897d87932e6.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

I've been putting off buying gage pins, but All Industrial Tool Supply had a deal I couldn't pass up. A 690 pc set, 1.061-0.750 Minus for $334.01 to my doorstep. They arrived this evening.
Gage Pin Cases.jpgGage Pins.jpg

I just ordered a surface plate from Woodcraft. Free shipping until December18th and then I got another 10% off using code "Happy November 2023 Birthday!"

I just ordered a surface plate from Woodcraft. Free shipping until December18th and then I got another 10% off using code "Happy November 2023 Birthday!"

I have the same one. Very pleased with it.

On other news. Bought this today... was looking for the small vise set, and this showed up on eBay... 79.00 for everything.

I already have a telescopic gauge set, but one of those inexpensive ones. Figured it was a fair deal for both sets.

Pin Vise Set.jpg

Back