Ultra S/P cutting oil

There must be something caused by the heat, the smoke was a thick dark brown. When I shut down for the night, and came out in the morning the whole chuck was rust red. I have a fan running, so I got upwind of the smoke, and can't tell you what it smelled like.
I'm using flood coolant now in the deep drilling operation every 3 inches to cool the material.

There must be something caused by the heat, the smoke was a thick dark brown. When I shut down for the night, and came out in the morning the whole chuck was rust red. I have a fan running, so I got upwind of the smoke, and can't tell you what it smelled like.
I'm using flood coolant now in the deep drilling operation every 3 inches to cool the material.

As @Batmanacw asked: which product are you talking about that caused the problem?

Ultra S/P cutting oil​

Sorry for the big letters it was a copy, and paste.

I had this issue cutting stainless, discolored my tools.

I had this issue cutting stainless, discolored my tools.

Using Anchor Lube or Ultra S/P or Tap Magic or WD-40 or something else?

Anchor Lube has been noted to discolor steel if not cleaned up promptly after use, but I haven’t seen any reports of brown smoke (and haven’t seen it when I’ve used it.

Using Anchor Lube or Ultra S/P or Tap Magic or WD-40 or something else?

Anchor Lube has been noted to discolor steel if not cleaned up promptly after use, but I haven’t seen any reports of brown smoke (and haven’t seen it when I’ve used it.
304 cutting with carbide used tap magic at first but it didn't seem to help, cut most of it with the flood cooling running with a water soluble oil as I enjoy that mess. I believe the discoloring occurred when I ran without anything though, this was a large part that I had to work between the chuck and the carriage because it was too big to pass under my cross slide.

304 cutting with carbide used tap magic at first but it didn't seem to help, cut most of it with the flood cooling running with a water soluble oil as I enjoy that mess. I believe the discoloring occurred when I ran without anything though, this was a large part that I had to work between the chuck and the carriage because it was too big to pass under my cross slide.

Discoloring with no coolant/cutting fluid sounds like overheating.

Discoloring with no coolant/cutting fluid sounds like overheating.
I suspect you are correct; but the only time I have seen/ had this happen was with the stainless... I am planning to install a mist cooling system on my lathe, I really do not like flood cooling.

Back