Tour of Hoarders Machine shop and Auctions coming up for the next year or 2

I wonder how the auction firm gets paid? Is it only from the % added to the winning bids or is there also a daily rate for organization and listing?
Someone commented on a thread on the PM forum recently that auctioneers charge the seller too. The price of that depends what is being auctioned, for his shop, they charged 40%. If it’s a bunch of lower quality, worn out equipment, they would charge more, but a nice high dollar shop might have a lower rate.

Yes, auctioneers typically make a percentage off of both the buyer and seller.

Wow, I thought I was bad. I've still got room in the shop to walk around and I haven't moved any into the house. I'm going to get rid of some stuff as well, but selling things it somewhat of a pain.

Selling is always less fun than buying. How many of us upgrade a tool, but the old one hangs on because selling is a chore, and occassionally it is still useful to have.

Obviously an extreme case but for all we know one of those rooms was his "to sell" room and he inconveniently got ill and died before getting around to it.

It is also possible he arranged the auction company as part of his end of life plans.

A lot we don't know.

This is in my neck of the woods. Judging by what things have already been bid up to (and early in the auction time), they're getting good visibility on this auction due to their promo video. My wife and I have banned me from any more auctions this season, which is fortunate, because I probably can't afford much in that shop anyway. Doesn't mean I won't watch though!

He did a nice job keeping things fairly orderly in there despite the huge volume of stuff, plus it sounds like things actually got used, so not sure if the hoarder title quite fits.

I didn't watch the entire video...was there an engine lathe somewhere in there (and I don't mean the old South Bend).
No idea what he paid for all that stuff, but unless he "stole" most of it IMO most of what I saw will sell for very little.

How many collectors of old school watchmaker's lathes are there?

Outside of us old farts that are sentimental about our old school manual machines, there's just not a large market for a lot of the "stuff" I saw there outside of the collectors' market. I can appreciate the uniqueness of much of it- but whether there's enough of a market out there that'll pay a premium for it, guess we'll find out.

after what the auction company will take, and the smalls that will likely just get pocketed by people, the widow won't see any more than her husband spent on it all, if that.

I didn't watch the entire video...was there an engine lathe somewhere in there (and I don't mean the old South Bend).
He has a fully outfitted Hardinge HVL--N I think it was, with what looked like 50-75 tool holders.

He has a fully outfitted Hardinge HVL--N I think it was, with what looked like 50-75 tool holders.
See it now- no doubt an exquisite machine as a toolmaker's lathe, and actually has chips on it unlike most of the other machines I saw.

Back