Tour of Hoarders Machine shop and Auctions coming up for the next year or 2

Kinda cool and sad at the same time. Hoarding is a sickness, I have a friend that hoards motorcycles and cars. His house is buried in stuff and keeps buying more. How much tooling and indicators do you need? Got a hole somewhere. Hope the wife goes on a cruise.

It doesn't look like hoarding to me, it looks like a well equipped shop that was functional and used. Perhaps he had more gear than absolutely necessary but I'd just call that being safe.

Quite the collection. Glad the widow hired a company to get it disposed of properly and into our hands.

That is impressive. This man obviously could afford this endeavor. I say good for him. It must have brought much enjoyment using all that equipment.

I would be in a similar boat if I had any discretionary cash. I don’t and never will. So I still feel blessed having the stuff I have scrounged. I get great pleasure escaping to my little Bat Cave.

He still deserves

You Suck!

Cutting oil is my blood.

It doesn't look like hoarding to me, it looks like a well equipped shop that was functional and used. Perhaps he had more gear than absolutely necessary but I'd just call that being safe.
Anyone whos kitchen is full of machine tools is a hoarder to me, pile on pile of redundant tools is also a sign, apparently you have a different definition which is OK by me.

Anyone whos kitchen is full of machine tools is a hoarder to me, pile on pile of redundant tools is also a sign, apparently you have a different definition which is OK by me.
Yeah, hoarder for sure. Like was mentioned amazing and sad. 90% couldn’t be used because it was buried. Crazy how they filled a 20’ container and only got walk space at the entry. Like those watch lathes stuffed in cubby holes. He sounded like a brilliant man but obviously kinda went off the rails. It was amazing that even though it was so cluttered there was not a speck of trash. I wonder if his 10yr fight with cancer had anything to do with it. My compunction would be to get rid of stuff if I knew I was going down. If nothing else to get my wife some $$ and take burden of getting rid of all that stuff. Maybe he was hedging his longevity by buying tools?

I'm going to just say hoarder or not, that is the cleanest most pristine "pile" of anything hoarded I've ever seen.

Even though auction companies are both good and bad, in this case, I think everyone involved will do well. Throwing it all away just doesn't look like any kind of option and it's far too much for any family member or amateur help to deal with. It's just... so.... much.

He was non-standard for sure. I'm not knocking it in the least.
I bet he enjoyed having each piece, each time it crossed his eyeline or his thoughts.
He seems to have had a few orders of magnitude greater re$ource$ than most of us.
He died at only 60 years of age.
Here is a link to one publication of the man's obituary.

A couple Slocomb tools in there . I let @JTSlocomb know about them . :encourage:

Thank you very much for the heads up!

That micrometer set is a great find, and just from the pictures has helped us in our research!

We actually have this exact set, albeit complete with all rods. It was unclear to us on whether or not the wood case was a factory produced item, or if someone made it themselves. Seeing this exact same set, case and all confirms that Slocomb did make them.

We will be watching the auction, and maybe will be able to add this to the collection!

If anyone sees any other Slocomb tooling or ephemera (especially catalogs and other printed material) Please let us know~!

Back