The Voron kit build thread

Slice support has been discontinued by Voron Designers since Slice came down on small Voron dealers over their Mosquito patent (which is probably invalid due to prior art), and the Mosquito heater block is so wide it tends to radiate heat into and melt parts cooling ducts. You will have better luck with other hotends on the Voron.

I got a Mosquito with the Railcore, I'm going to use it there.

The Rapido is Phaetus's answer to the Revo. It looks good and uses standard nozzles which is nice. It surprisingly costs slightly more than the Revo which is unusual for a Chinese product vs a UK product. But the savings in nozzle replacements will be substantial, and the variety of available nozzles for the V6 ecosystem that works on the Rapido is useful.

The Octopus has a 5V output to power the Pi as I recall. So a separate supply is optional, depending on what you want.

I suspect the weights are for the larger models and they just don't bother adjusting them. I ordered a 250 so the panels and extrusions are smaller and lighter, and the overall size might be reduced if they have packaging optimized.

On the Voron I'm planning to use an LDO Orbiter V2 extruder in the StealthBurner toolhead with the Revo Voron hotend. Not quite stock.

I'm surprised that you are using the Revo. It is such a closed ecosystem. I have learned my lesson over the years not to become captured with proprietary systems.

I have the power supply coming for my Orange Pi because I want to mess around with it before I get my printer built.

My printer just showed up!! WOOT.
To answer an earlier question about packaged dimensions, the box measures 22x24x12 inches and lands right at 50lbs. Just a "little" more than my Prusa :weight:

PXL_20221117_151644495.jpgPXL_20221117_151932241.jpgPXL_20221117_151939117.jpgPXL_20221117_152044593.jpgPXL_20221117_152100983.jpgPXL_20221117_152119633.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221117_152208111.jpg
    PXL_20221117_152208111.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 53
My printer just showed up!! WOOT.
To answer an earlier question about packaged dimensions, the box measures 22x24x12 inches and lands right at 50lbs. Just a "little" more than my Prusa :weight:

Mines out for delivery today.

My Orange Pi should be here tomorrow.
The one I ordered comes with the ac/dc adapter.

I'm surprised that you are using the Revo. It is such a closed ecosystem. I have learned my lesson over the years not to become captured with proprietary systems.

I have the power supply coming for my Orange Pi because I want to mess around with it before I get my printer built.

I generally prefer open systems, the E3D Revo is partially closed but Slice is a patent bully. I ordered the Mosquito before Slice misbehaved, otherwise I would not have one. Easy enough to swap a hotend out if needed on these printers. I have Dragons, DragonFly's and V6's on hand as well as the Revos. I'm attracted to the no-tools nozzle change, but not sure how often I'll change nozzles in reality. I have a Slice nozzle torque wrench that makes changing nozzles easier, though the V6 heater block stabilization is still a hassle. The Dragon solves that, as does the Rapido or Mosquito. I currently have a Dragon on the Prusa MK3 and it has been flawless. Access to nozzle 20 packs for under $10 is handy, but when a nozzle lasts me 6 months it actually doesn't matter much if it costs a bit more. High quality nozzles are often costly and may be worthwhile.

Some folks like to keep the Pi powered when the printer is off, another reason for a separate power supply. It might be fun to setup the Pi to control printer power..

Last edited:
I see the Prusa XL is further delayed. Perhaps a Voron 2.4 350 should be in the plans instead. It would be nice to have a tool changer or IDEX, but how practical are they really? An MMU would probably handle most of my needs. I make a few 2 color parts.

There is an MMU for Vorons, the Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder (ERCF). Kits are available. It is modular so you can make it various sizes. They have code worked out for Klipper of course. It should work with any Klipperized printer.

On Hotends, the Phaetus Rapido came out after I had already invested in these others, so I didn't order one yet. My parts collection is probably larger than it should be already. At first I started collecting parts for a Voron Switchwire, then I changed to the 1.8 250 then the Trident replaced that model and I shifted to that. Then the LDO Trident kit was available in 250. Along the way the Salad Fork kits were available. And the Bear Frame for the Prusa MK3 much earlier in the series. I've given one 3D printer away already (and started him on the 3d printing journey), and I may have to do that again. In the longer term the Switchwire seems redundant, but most of the parts are collected. A 350 size printer would be handy at times. Have to clear out some space in the garage for a small print farm. Ultimately it might be nice to have just the 150mm Salad Fork (small Trident) in my office and the rest of the machines in the garage. But the Trident 250 has to be first as that is what I have printed parts for. :)

50 pounds is a lot more than my Prusa. Wonder how much of that is box. The panels add quite a bit of weight too. The Railcore is pretty light with the smaller extrusions and HDPE panels. But I don't have the thick aluminum build plate installed yet. 300x300x6mm will add some weight to the package.

Enjoy your builds!

Back