The Voron kit build thread

I spotted some info on the Voron documentation site recommending using an audio spectrometer app to tighten the belts.

Run the gantry to the bottom, the pluck the belts like a guitar string. Adjust the tension to 140hz.

I found an app on the play store. I'll try the method after work this evening.

Anyone done this?

Last edited:
I have not used the resonant technique. I saw 110 hz mentioned, it depends on the free length of the belt, and is subject to some disagreement. I plan to stick with a tension gauge. I might calibrate the gauge against force which is not hard to do.

I've decided to reprint some of the recently printed PLA pieces in PETG. They will hold up much better in the warmer places. They are not critical parts, those are already PIF ABS. But some of them are going to get fairly warm when this printer prints ABS at chamber temperatures of 50C. Some are below the deck panel and for those PETG or maybe even PLA should be fine long-term. Three parts are above the deck panel and near the heated bed so those will be subject to higher temperatures. I plan to print ABS replacements when the printer is working, but for now I will upgrade to PETG for those parts.

I suspect PLA would be fine for the skirt pieces. They better not get too hot... But PETG would be better.

Yes, I know that. Not what the conversation was about.

Wasn't clear. Most slicers cannot read STEP files, it is a recent addition to Cura and Prusa Slicer. So not many 3D printing sources provide them, some CAD packages don't even use or export STEP.. If they are not in the Github repository you could request them on the Voron discord.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how, but tightening my xy belts made a huge difference in gantry levelling time. I'm getting it levelled in half the time now. This thing likes the belts run tight. All of them.

@7milesup

I think you got the same kit that I did. If your kit came with the same Z endstop microswitch as mine, go ahead and throw it in the garbage now. Save yourself some built plate scars!

At best, its + or - .3mm accuracy. Anyone know of an alternative that can get me closer to about .05mm or better?

Ouch, 0.3mm plus or minus is awful. The recommended switches in the BOM should be adequate.

Back