The Voron kit build thread

Very nice!

I haven't used Cura in years. I think Prusa Slicer has Voron configurations. I'll stick with that.

Is that normal for the cable chains to rise up like that? Some I see do that, others are more parallel with the arc at the ends. Do they wear in after awhile?

I've been sorting out the LDO "mods" today. Two steps forward and one step back.

Very nice!

I haven't used Cura in years. I think Prusa Slicer has Voron configurations. I'll stick with that.

Is that normal for the cable chains to rise up like that? Some I see do that, others are more parallel with the arc at the ends. Do they wear in after awhile?

I've been sorting out the LDO "mods" today. Two steps forward and one step back.

I have no idea if that's normal or not. There's a little "spring" to them. If I push down on those spots, they pop back up.

I think its beause there are so many wires inside. They are literally, stuffed full. If I had used a toolhead PCB or canbus, I could have got away with alot less wires and they would probably lay flat under their own weight.

Ill download Prusa Slicer tomorrow and try it out. Maybe it'll be more like what I'm accustomed to.

I've wondered about the way the chains move. Perhaps they are filled beyond the specifications, generally specs call for quite a lot of free space. I haven't heard of full cable chains on Vorons, hope it isn't a problem. The type of wire is critical in chains for long life, either PTFE or FEP insulation is recommended. Quality cable chain wire is not cheap. It is one area where a kit might cut corners. Early on the Voron developers and builders used various types of wire that were not good in cable chains, and they had a lot of cable failures. So they learned the hard way.

Canbus would certainly cut the cabling way down, and the canbus boards generally have an accelerometer for input shaping built right in, very convenient. The Salad Fork kit has Canbus included. It is another layer of complexity for configuration and updating, so there is some downside.

Early on I bought a partial wiring kit with those flat flexible printed type cables to replace the cable chains. Many printers such as the Artillery Sidewinder use them. It makes for a very clean cable management setup. They don't seem to have become popular on the Vorons. Hopefully I will be able to use them someday.

Prusa Slicer has a lot of features, it can be set into simple, advanced or expert modes and this exposes more or less of the interface. It has divided the parameters into different groups such as Print, Filament or Printer settings which is convenient once you get used to it, especially if you have more than one printer, and we all have more than one print and filament to work with, so it is a useful grouping. It also allows to save everything into a project file so you can keep your customized settings along with the object files for a complete package. There is a bit of a learning curve with all slicers.

Unlike most slicer developers, Prusa has a large printer farm using it's own printers and software. So they really live by their own features and performance. With 14 developers on Prusa Slicer and hundreds of printers in the farm running 24x7 they have more invested than most companies and they benefit directly from improvements they make.

Last edited:
The reason that those cable chains may not lay flat is three-fold...
1.) Too many wires in the cable chain.
2.) Wires, not spec'd for short radius flexibility. I suspect that this might be the leading culprit here, as these Chinese el-cheapo wires are not of great quality. I was considering using silicone high-strand count wiring in mine, but that would require me to take the time to make new wire harnesses.
3.) Poor quality cable chain resulting in the links not moving freely.

I hope to get back to my build soon but have been very busy with work and other pressing projects. I needed to get my snowplow ready for my tractor and get some more lights on it so I can see at night. I spent nearly the entire weekend building outdoor Christmas trees for my wife. They are quite large (8ft, 7ft & 6ft along with three at 5ft) so that took a bunch of time. Oh, I had to upgrade my computer's hard drive the other night too.

The link that you provided has the STEP files, but I do not see the STL files. What am I missing?
This may have been brought up, but step files are better than stl, and just slice them. Leave the triangles in the past!

This may have been brought up, but step files are better than stl, and just slice them. Leave the triangles in the past!

That's never been an option for me before with Flashprint. So, Cura and Prusaslicer are able to slice .step files?

The Voron users have had trouble with silicone insulated wire in cable chains. Also PVC experience was not good. Only PTFE and FEP insulation are recommended for cable chains. I just checked the Voron BOM and they call for PTFE insulated wire there. Discussions on Reddit mention that FEP wire insulation is also good.

More Information about cable chain wiring fill is on the IGUS site: https://www.igus.eu/info/energy-chains-filling-cables-and-hoses#section_10

I agree that STEP files are much better. I imported the whole Voron design into Solidworks utilizing STEP files. I wasn't really asking what, but rather where; as in where are the files so I can download and hit print since I wasn't changing anything on the design.
I appreciate your input though! :)

Back