The Voron kit build thread

Mainsail is accessed as a web server. Once Mainsail is installed and running you connect to it from another computer using a web browser.

KIAUH looks like a good way to manage the software install. MainsailOS is great if you have a Raspberry Pi. For other hardware it may not be well suited.

Sorry you are having trouble. There is a lot to learn if this is your first experience with Linux.

Did the instructions at https://3dpandme.com/2022/09/03/tutorial-orange-pi-pc-klipper-install/ work?

Is that the Orange Pi board you are working with?
Sorry you are having trouble. There is a lot to learn if this is your first experience with Linux.

Did the instructions at https://3dpandme.com/2022/09/03/tutorial-orange-pi-pc-klipper-install/ work?

Is that the Orange Pi board you are working with?

My Orange Pi is the Orange Pi 4 lts.

Its a bigger, newer version, but very similar to the one in that link.

The instructions in that link are pretty much exactly what I did, except that Armbian would not boot up at all. I used Debian, downloaded from the OrangePi 4 LTS support site.

Everything boots up, and Klipperscreen runs.

I was having trouble figuring out Mainsail.
So, I have that figured out now, I think.

Basically, there is no mainsail UI program on the Orange Pi.

To access mainsail, you type the Orange Pi's ip address into a browser in your (phone, laptop, whatever) and the browswer accesses the Orange Pi as if its a router.

So, i have it working. I think.

So, this is all internet based stuff? That brings up another issue I'll have to deal with. I don't have a wifi signal out in the shop where I keep my 3d printer.

I guess i'll be able to access it via my phones wifi hotspot, or just run it directly from the Orange Pi's touchscreen with "klipperscreen".

But, I now appear to have Mainsail and Klipper all set up and working. Just need to get Klipper installed on my Octopus boards MCU, then get the printer built and the config file loaded into mainsail.

Last edited:
Good progress there Ken226. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Mainsail, Fluidd and Octoprint are local network based. They can be setup for remote internet access, but that is a different level and not something I would recommend. But the idea is to use the local network to support submitting print jobs, monitoring status and controlling the printer from a local web browser based phone, computer or tablet. It doesn't have to be wifi, a wired network is fine also. When a print job is submitted it is first copied to local storage and then printed from there, so the network is not involved in the printing process.

My workflow is to run a slicer on either my laptop or my desktop. I start with an STL from my own CAD, or one downloaded from the usual sources.

I mostly use Prusa Slicer these days, but have used Cura and Simplify 3D as well. In the slicer the model is loaded, and then selections are made as to filament type, layer height, quality settings, support settings, model orientation, etc. Then the model is sliced and the results reviewed. How much filament is required, how long will it take to print, etc. I then check the printer to make sure the bed is clear and ready and the proper filament is loaded and that there is enough filament on the spool (a good way of estimating the remaining filament on a spool is useful). Then I send the print job from the slicer to the printer with the load and start printing button in the slicer. The camera is useful to monitor the printing, the most critical time is at the start.

Last edited:
If there is no internet in the shop, one possibility is to run a hotspot setup right on the Orange Pi. This would create a local wifi network for the printer. Then the phone, tablet or laptop could locally connect to the printer's Mainsail via this local wifi network. There are scripts for the Raspberry Pi that should work for the Orange Pi. I've seen them set up to connect to a local wifi but when it is not available they create a local wifi network. So when the printer is in the house it connects to the wifi there, when it is in the shop or elsewhere it makes it's own wifi network. Convenient for a printer that gets moved or taken portable.

If there is no internet in the shop, one possibility is to run a hotspot setup right on the Orange Pi. This would create a local wifi network for the printer. Then the phone, tablet or laptop could locally connect to the printer's Mainsail via this local wifi network. There are scripts for the Raspberry Pi that should work for the Orange Pi. I've seen them set up to log into a local wifi but when it is not available they create a local wifi network. So when the printer is in the house it connects to the wifi there, when it is in the shop or elsewhere it makes it's own wifi network. Convenient for a printer that gets moved or taken portable.

Thats right!! The Orange Pi has a wifi-hotspot!! Genius. (If i can get it to work).

In my learning process so far, I've managaed to screw up several times by following internet based directions, from various sites.

Like, about an hour ago. My icon for Klipperscreen disappeared from the OrangePi desktop. I googled it, found something saying to run the command "-sudo-systemctl-set-default-multi-user-target", which resulted in endless boot cycle.

I cooked breakfast, fed the dogs and had two cups of coffee while it tried to boot. So now, back to reinstalling everything from scratch.

I figured out that connecting the orange Pi to ethernet cable, and running putty from my laptop while sitting on the couch is definitely the way-to-go! running apt update and apt upgrade now, downloading all of the update install files for Debian.

One thing to think about is getting updates to the printer. The phone hotspot may be a good way to do this, or bringing it back into the house and connecting to the network there, or using a wired connection that reaches to the internet.

An interesting setup might be to have the Orange Pi on a wired connection to the house internet and also setup a wifi hotspot on it. That would provide wifi in the shop, and if the routing was set up in the Orange Pi it could allow accessing the internet from that wifi.

Our postings overlapped. Unfortunately not all internet suggestions are helpful. The devil is in the details.

I received my printed parts today! A whole week earlier than predicted.

Attachments

• PXL_20221121_202526133.jpg
    PXL_20221121_202526133.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20221121_202340474.jpg
    PXL_20221121_202340474.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 64
Nice! Haven't had time yet to work on this project today. Getting ready for guests. Next Trident step is rail lubrication.

Decided to try a variation on Nero's technique for lubing the LDO rail carriages. Nero has been using a spray white lithium grease recently on his, injecting it through a mounting hole positioned over the center of the carriage. This way the lube is applied inside of the end seals and has direct access to the balls. I have exactly the same product on my shelf, it was recommended for the garage door system and a single application silenced the door support system, and it has lasted a good long time. My own twist was to punch a small hole in the sealed plastic sleeve on each rail and inject the lubricant into the rail while it is still in the package, then wrapping that with a paper towel section to catch the bit that comes out and keep the rail storage box cleaner. The LDO rails come in a box with separate slots for each rail, a really excellent packaging setup. Very clean and neat way to apply grease. These are stainless rails but they still need lubrication and don't appear to have grease from the factory.

Back