The Voron kit build thread

I just spent a whole bunch of time trying to get Armbian on my Orange Pi. It seems like I would make some progress by getting it loaded onto the emmc, but when I reboot, it would not accept my password. I re-flashed that emmc I don't know how many times. I downloaded Debian and installed that, which was easy peasy and has a Windows feel to it. But then what?
This electronics side of the build is going to kick my butt.
You have made substantial progress. Hopefully you can get it to the finish line.

Well, I have everything installed, but i have no idea how any of this will interface with the 3d printer. I still don't see any Klipper, Moonraker, Mainsail stuff anywhere on this thing.

So far, all I can do with it is post on Hobbymachinist.

I just spent a whole bunch of time trying to get Armbian on my Orange Pi. It seems like I would make some progress by getting it loaded onto the emmc, but when I reboot, it would not accept my password. I re-flashed that emmc I don't know how many times. I downloaded Debian and installed that, which was easy peasy and has a Windows feel to it. But then what?
This electronics side of the build is going to kick my butt.
You have made substantial progress. Hopefully you can get it to the finish line.

Yea, that's exactly why I ended up using SSH with putty. I had no trouble finding detailed instructions for that route.

Once you get the Orange Pi on the same Wifi connection with a windows computer, and figure out the orange Pi's ip address, it's easy to get Kiauh installed, which will make getting everything else installed easy.

Yea, that's exactly why I ended up using SSH with putty. I had no trouble finding detailed instructions for that route.

Once you get the Orange Pi on the same Wifi connection with a windows computer, and figure out the orange Pi's ip address, it's easy to get Kiauh installed, which will make getting everything else installed easy.
I may take a look at that tomorrow. Do you have a link for the instructions? I probably have it already, but my brain is mush.

I may take a look at that tomorrow. Do you have a link for the instructions? I probably have it already, but my brain is mush.

I watched some YouTube videos on how to connect to the Orange Pi with putty.

After installing putty on my laptop, connecting the laptop and Orange Pi to the same Wifi connection, and figuring out what the IP address for the orange Pi is and finally getting it connected

I used these instructions for Kiauh and installing the other stuff.

I copied each command from the site and pasted it into putty.

Once Kiauh is installed, after each program was installed, I entered the command:

./kiauh/kiauh.sh

To start Kiauh again, then install the next program.

To re

Great progress there with the Orange Pi's. I haven't worked on that part yet, though I've done a number of Pi projects but never with the Orange flavor. There are linux crontab settings for programs that you always want to run on bootup, but I don't know if that's what's generally done for Klipper and Mainsail. The connection to the control board will be either serial or USB. Then Klipper will generate a file for the controller which you transfer to an SD or MicroSD and that is plugged into the controller. That in turn loads the controller's program memory. From then on the controller takes orders from the Pi via the USB or serial. There are quite a few videos that get into the details there..

Not as much progress on the frame here today, next step is the linear rails. They are stainless and seem pretty dry so I'll have to grease them first, I'll start on that tomorrow.

Using Putty to SSH into the Orange Pi, I was able to get Klipper, Moonraker, Mainsail and Klipperscreen installed.

Just to make sure, I ran the Kiauh program from the Orange Pi's terminal and it also shows all that stuff installed.

I have no idea how to use any of it though. I still don't see any Icons, buttons or anything to indicate that the programs are even there.

Being a lifelong Windows user, every version since 3.1, this Linux stuff is very weird.

So, how do you start and run any of these programs?

There no button for Mainsail (the user interface for Klipper ?:dunno:)

I'm kinda hard wired with the concept of, once you've installed a program, you click the start button and there it is, ready to run.
Are you trying to run a program through putty? What was the ssh command? ssh -X user@orangepi ? or just ssh user@orangepi ?
If there is no icon, usually all that is necessary is to type in a text window the name of the program. Like: $ myprogram <enter>. If that does not work, then something like $ /usr/bin/myprogram <enter>. If the program is in some non-standard place, you have to search around for where it is. Also in linux, there are no .exe files. Just files, some of which are executable. You can get the file permissions by typing $ ls -alg<enter> this give a listing of the directory and tells you what every entry is in the directory, with permissions. If the permissions has an x then it is executable. If there is a d then it is a directory. The command also tells you who the owner is, it's size, the file date and the file name in alphabetical order.

If you have a graphic display, like you are using vnc, you can open a terminal (text) window and type stuff in, like above. Or maybe there is an icon, or a way to navigate to your application. Sometimes there is a magic spot on the screen with some sort of icon if clicked then you see various system stuff, like apps or even categories of stuff. Not familiar with the various OS's on Orange Pi.

Are you trying to run a program through putty? What was the ssh command? ssh -X user@orangepi ? or just ssh user@orangepi ?
If there is no icon, usually all that is necessary is to type in a text window the name of the program. Like: $ myprogram <enter>. If that does not work, then something like $ /usr/bin/myprogram <enter>. If the program is in some non-standard place, you have to search around for where it is. Also in linux, there are no .exe files. Just files, some of which are executable. You can get the file permissions by typing $ ls -alg<enter> this give a listing of the directory and tells you what every entry is in the directory, with permissions. If the permissions has an x then it is executable. If there is a d then it is a directory. The command also tells you who the owner is, it's size, the file date and the file name in alphabetical order.

If you have a graphic display, like you are using vnc, you can open a terminal (text) window and type stuff in, like above. Or maybe there is an icon, or a way to navigate to your application. Sometimes there is a magic spot on the screen with some sort of icon if clicked then you see various system stuff, like apps or even categories of stuff. Not familiar with the various OS's on Orange Pi.

Yea, I've tried all of that. The "Mainsail" I installed doesn't appear to exist.

And I think I may be figuring out why.

Mainsail isn't a program run on Debian, Mainsail IS the OS. It replaces Debian. I should have installed Mainsail, not Debian.

Apparently, It needs to be flashed onto an SD card, the pi booted up. Then you use Putty to SSH into the Pi's Mainsail OS, and install Klipper, etc.

I could still be mistaken, but I may have wasted all that time installing Debian.

Yea, I've tried all of that. The "Mainsail" I installed doesn't appear to exist.

And I think I may be figuring out why.

Mainsail isn't a program run on Debian, Mainsail IS the OS. It replaces Debian. I should have installed Mainsail, not Debian.

Apparently, It needs to be flashed onto an SD card, the pi booted up. Then you use Putty to SSH into the Pi's Mainsail OS, and install Klipper, etc.

I could still be mistaken, but I may have wasted all that time installing Debian.
Tough getting started in a new area, isn't it? Feel the same way starting out with 3d printing. So much new stuff, with lots of little details that are important, but unknown.

If indeed Mainsail is a custom OS, then yes, you need to flash it onto the SD. Your Debian install will be totally overwritten.

Last edited:
Back