The Voron kit build thread

I flashed the MCU on my Octopus board this morning.

Obviously, I don't have the printer set up to test everything, but it appears that Mainsail is communicating with the Octopus board.

Looks like this Orange Pi thing is actually going to work! :)

Excellent!

I just ran across a video talking about five under $50 alternatives to the Raspberry Pi.

I see some Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W's trickling out in Germany and Canada. This is a small Pi, half the size of the Pi4, but it has a quadcore processor at about the level of a Pi3 so it is enough for Klipper. It would be especially good where space is a constraint such as in the smaller printers like a 0.1, Micron or Salad Fork. There are also CM4's available from Germany. Those can plug directly into a Manta controller or into a carrier board and run Klipper. Even the units without wifi can be equipped with a USB wifi dongle easily enough. Their eMMC memory is more reliable and faster than a microSD card. The Zero 2 W is way under $50 and many of the CM4 boards are also under that price point.

I saw a comment recently from a user who was having problems with his Klipper setup until he went to a high quality fast microSD card. Klipper is writing the card quite a bit so make sure a good card is selected. Backups of configuration files are also important if the card gets corrupted those files can be a lot of work to recreate.

Have you folks looked at the mods that allow access to the Voron electronics from the top instead of having to flip the printer over? There are mods for the Trident, and for the 2.4. On the 2.4 there is a hinged setup for the print platform and base to allow access, on the Trident the divider piece lifts out. Top access might be convenient, otherwise a lot of printer inversion exercises will be performed. :)

https://mods.vorondesign.com/detail/pXkXHVIUbqSWqQKJISczw trident version

Last edited:
Excellent!

I saw a comment recently from a user who was having problems with his Klipper setup until he went to a high quality fast microSD card. Klipper is writing the card quite a bit so make sure a good card is selected. Backups of configuration files are also important if the card gets corrupted those files can be a lot of work to recreate.

Should I be running Klipper from an SD card? If so, why?

It's probably habit, from 20 years of building Windows PCs for CAD use, but first thing I did when the Orange pi booted up from the SD card was to put the Operating System on the internal Emmc, and remove the SD card.

I've had it running for 3 days now, and it seems to boot and run fine with the OS on the internal drive. Is running it from the SD card beneficial?

Should I be running Klipper from an SD card? If so, why?

It's probably habit, from 20 years of building Windows PCs for CAD use, but first thing I did when the Orange pi booted up from the SD card was to put the Operating System on the internal Emmc, and remove the SD card.

I've had it running for 3 days now, and it seems to boot and run fine with the OS on the internal drive. Is running it from the SD card beneficial?
Personally I'd run off the EMMC. SD is pretty slow.

On all my 3 RPI4's I boot direct from SSD. Much, much faster than SD. I just use a super cheap 128GB SATA SSD and a USB3 SATA adapter. Makes these SBC's a lot more tolerable.

eMMC or SSD is better than SD. Most folks with Raspberry Pi setups run from microSD. If a good card is used it works adequately.

My Octoprint setup runs from Pi3 with microSD and has for years. Most of my Raspberry Pi systems run from microSD just fine. If they had onboard eMMC I would use it. But adding SSD is expensive and cumbersome. So it is only worthwhile when it matters. I generally go to SSD when it is something that I log into and actively use. For most Pi setups they have a set of tasks and I don't notice the benefits of faster local storage, so I don't bother. I have over a dozen Pi's in service, so adding stuff to each of them is quite a bit of bulk and cost. Many of them are in very small packages so there is no room. But I never mess with junky cheap uSD cards.

I do have fast solid state storage on a few of them. The Pi400 has a fast USB stick on it, not cheap but more compact. The 8GB Pi4 is in an Argon One case that supports an internal M.2 SSD. Those are both systems that are used more like small desktop computers. It is more worthwhile there. However I found those systems, even with fast storage, were a bit slow so I got a mini PC to use instead. It is a little more expensive (about double the cost of a fully outfitted Pi4-8), but with a Ryzen 5 it is many times faster than any Pi4. I wish the Pi5 had come out, but it did not, and the Pi's we are are able to buy are a bit slow for personal use. They make great dedicated machines but not really very good for interactive uses. This is not to say they are insufficient for 3d printing, that is a dedicated use and they are fine for that. But browsing the web or using them for other interactive purposes is generally not the best experience.

Last edited:
eMMC or SSD is better than SD. Most folks with Raspberry Pi setups run from microSD. If a good card is used it works adequately.

My Octoprint setup runs from Pi3 with microSD and has for years. Most of my Raspberry Pi systems run from microSD just fine. If they had onboard eMMC I would use it. But adding SSD is expensive and cumbersome. So it is only worthwhile when it matters. I generally go to SSD when it is something that I log into and actively use. For most Pi setups they have a set of tasks and I don't notice the benefits of faster local storage, so I don't bother. I have over a dozen Pi's in service, so adding stuff to each of them is quite a bit of bulk and cost. Many of them are in very small packages so there is no room. But I never mess with junky cheap uSD cards.
My OctoPi (RPi3B), Print Server (RPi2B), and Sprinkler Controller (RPi2B) all run from uSD. They are all low end controllers. My RPi4's are on SSD. The RPi4's are at least 5x faster running off SSD than uSD. Way faster boot times. I only buy decent name brand uSD cards, not worth the trouble with junk cards.

The Aluminum extruder pars all went together well, with no problems.

I got the LED's installed in my stealthburner head. It was a bit of a pain in the butt printing a clear diffuser to go behind the logo, but after jacking with the settings to get clear PETG to print, I finally got a good one.

There were no issues getting the stealthburner onto the aluminum Clockwork1 extruder. It fits pretty well.

Nice!

Today I got a cutting mat to use on the marble round. Nice to have a little padding when not trying to square something up.

DSC_0518.JPG

Last edited:
Back