The Voron kit build thread

was able to get it done without a keyboard. I used my phone asa hotspot, connected my laptop and the orange pi both to the phones wifi hotspot. Then used putty to SSH into the Orange pi.

The Nand-sata-install command did the trick.

Android is gone, and now it boots into Debian without having the SD card installed.

Now it's time to jack around with Klipper.

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_113334797.jpg
    IMG_20221120_113334797.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 57
Thanks @WobblyHand. I will check it out.

I got it to boot from the SD card, but not from the Armbian image I got from Armbian.

It worked when I used the Debian image from Orange Pi's website.

I'making progress, but stuck untill I can get a keyboard. Debian doesn't give me an on-screen keypad like a droid did.
You/we could switch to Debian without issue I would think. My earlier post referencing issues with Orange Pi and Armbian may have some merit after all.
I am sitting on my deer stand at the moment but I am going to experiment with Debian. I have an extra USB monitor, mouse and keyboard along with a good power supply so I am good to go.

was able to get it done without a keyboard. I used my phone asa hotspot, connected my laptop and the orange pi both to the phones wifi hotspot. Then used putty to SSH into the Orange pi.

The Nand-sata-install command did the trick.

Android is gone, and now it boots into Debian without having the SD card installed.

Now it's time to jack around with Klipper.
that is awesome Ken!

Can you explain this furth @Ken226? So, the Orange Pi was using a WIFI hotspot? If so, could I utilize my home wireless for this?
Wait... So you did this for the sole reason of using the keyboard on your laptop as a pseudo keyboard for the Orange Pi? Also, do I need to utilize SSH and Putty if I have the keyboard and mouse hooked up?

Can you explain this furth @Ken226? So, the Orange Pi was using a WIFI hotspot? If so, could I utilize my home wireless for this?
Wait... So you did this for the sole reason of using the keyboard on your laptop as a pseudo keyboard for the Orange Pi? Also, do I need to utilize SSH and Putty if I have the keyboard and mouse hooked up?
If you have a display, keyboard and mouse hooked up to the Orange Pi, you do not need ssh. If you want to remotely connect to the Orange Pi, for some reason, you may need ssh.

Edit:
@7milesup Say you wanted to update your Orange Pi, which was in another room, with some new software. Instead of tying up a display, mouse and keyboard, you could ssh into your Orange Pi from your Windows computer, at your desk. Then you would need putty.exe and ssh. I usually have ssh on all my machines, so I can remotely administer all the computers and PI's in the house. Makes it a lot easier to do it all from one place. I have a print server, a sprinkler controller, a file server, a shop computer and OctoPi. Much easier to ssh in and keep them up to date than walk around and haul stuff with me.

Last edited:
Great progress there.

I'm in the one step forward two steps back mode. The LDO T Nuts don't go easily into the LDO extrusions. I found a trick for getting them in using a spring loaded punch. Make sure to wear eye protection, one went flying when it wasn't done properly.

I was looking at the LDO instructions, and realized this kit came with nut strips for the rails. They need to be installed into the extrusions before frame assembly. It did not require much disassembly to get them in, but should have noticed that sooner. Working from multiple sets of instructions is extra fun...

Using a local keyboard/mouse/screen on the SBC makes a lot of things easier initially, but having SSH and/or a VNC setup makes future maintenance a lot more convenient.

Using Putty to SSH into the Orange Pi, I was able to get Klipper, Moonraker, Mainsail and Klipperscreen installed.

Just to make sure, I ran the Kiauh program from the Orange Pi's terminal and it also shows all that stuff installed.

I have no idea how to use any of it though. I still don't see any Icons, buttons or anything to indicate that the programs are even there.

Being a lifelong Windows user, every version since 3.1, this Linux stuff is very weird.

So, how do you start and run any of these programs?

There no button for Mainsail (the user interface for Klipper ?:dunno:)

I'm kinda hard wired with the concept of, once you've installed a program, you click the start button and there it is, ready to run.

Using Putty to SSH into the Orange Pi, I was able to get Klipper, Moonraker, Mainsail and Klipperscreen installed.

Just to make sure, I ran the Kiauh program from the Orange Pi's terminal and it also shows all that stuff installed.

I have no idea how to use any of it though. I still don't see any Icons, buttons or anything to indicate that the programs are even there.

Being a lifelong Windows user, every version since 3.1, this Linux stuff is very weird.

So, how do you start and run any of these programs?

There no button for Mainsail (the user interface for Klipper ?:dunno:)
I just spent a whole bunch of time trying to get Armbian on my Orange Pi. It seems like I would make some progress by getting it loaded onto the emmc, but when I reboot, it would not accept my password. I re-flashed that emmc I don't know how many times. I downloaded Debian and installed that, which was easy peasy and has a Windows feel to it. But then what?
This electronics side of the build is going to kick my butt.
You have made substantial progress. Hopefully you can get it to the finish line.

i had to do it that way for some pretty stupid reasons.

My internet provider is Comcast, and apparently the router no longer has some kind of security certificate so access is blocked by all modern web browsers. Basically, i couldnt use it.

I used my phone as a wifi hotspot, connected both the orange pi and my laptop to my phones hotspot, then used putty to do all the work via SSH.

There were probably a hundred better ways to do it, but the most easily understandable instructions i could find, instructed to do it via SSH.

I posted this reply from my Orange Pi :)

Back