Spindle or flex arm lights for mill

I tried 2 ring lites a small one tight to the quill and a bigger one. Bigger one worked better. With that said I still use the old style lights. As others have said the more light the better.

I've got two of the sewing machine lights. They came as a "set." The magnets are pretty strong and they stay in place on each side of the column. I don't often need to adjust them but if they need to be moved much it takes two hands. Good lighting.

I used 2 of those “sewing lights” you mentioned. One on either side of the quill, the light is great & I definitely wouldn’t be without them.
I took a picture while setting up the machine with the shop lights turned off…51744A0F-E553-40F5-8224-F5AD42E00486.jpeg

I'm 70 and the more light the better as I age. I love the spindle light and have 2 lamps with LED bulbs also (one lamp is behind the collet rack in the pic).

View attachment 497635
Nice setup. Do you have 2 DRO's on your machine? I see Igage displays and a large display? I see you extended your Y axis crank out as well, I did that and hung an accordion style cover over it attached to the carriage to cover the front Y Axis ways.
Accordian.jpg

I made a ring light for my BP mill several years ago and have been less than impressed with it. It provides plenty of bright light as long as the quill is retracted. But the further the quill is extended, the more it blocks the light. I think some sort of a flexible goose neck light would be more advantageous.
Ted
Same. Also I find that the light gets in my eyes when I'm setting things up.

Empty shop floor space! You better do something about that really soon! The guys here can help .;)
That picture is a few months old (5 or 6…who’s counting?). I moved A LOT of stuff to clear a spot out for the mill. The plus side is I now have shelving in the basement with a lot of stuff “normal people” would usually keep in their garage.
Another way to put it, is I now feel like the walls are closing in on me & pretty quickly.
No matter, if I didn’t think it was fun, I most certainly wouldn’t be doing it.

Back