Shop made 4 way tool post help

I own an Enco 4-sided toolpost. Those have a thick base which is supposed to be milled to bring the slot down to the correct height. An old trick is to take apart a set of feeler gages to use as shims.

hey @Brad125 this 2 part video might be interesting to you:

Already watched that video, I am subscribed to the channel. That’s where I seen about the thrust washer. Obviously his machine are much larger than mine so I don’t know wether a theist washer is necessary.

@metalmagpie Is your Enco an indexing one with ball bearing detents? Mine has 24 positions, I think.

All my holders are sized to never need shims. I haven't use a shim on any of my 3 4-way toolposts in 40 years.

@Brad125 None of my 4-way tool posts have the thrust washer, but it is a great idea!

I own an Enco 4-sided toolpost. Those have a thick base which is supposed to be milled to bring the slot down to the correct height. An old trick is to take apart a set of feeler gages to use as shims.
I measured all my tools, they’re all really close to 1/2”. If I mill this right I shouldn’t even need shims. Yes, I thought about feeler guages especially since I have a Harbor Freight right up the road from me.

Back