Shop made 4 way tool post help

That would make the half inch shot at the center line. Meaning a half inch tool would be a 1/4” too high. Unless you shimmed the block a 1/4” up.
Ugh you’re right, guess I wasn’t thinking.

Unless you can grind every tool bit to be exactly the same height as the top of the shank the cutting tip will be below centerline. That is why the slot for the tool bit has to be bigger than 1/2" with a portion above centerline and the rest below centerline. Make it at least 9/16. 5/8 would be better. That way you have room to shim the tool bit so the the tip of the tool bit is on centerline. The actual size of the slot is not critical.

To eliminate having to fiddle with shims every time you change a tool bit you can glue the shims to be bottom of the shank. A poor man's QCTP. Maybe we should call it a quick change tool bit. QCTB.

You can use an end mill in the chuck to cut the slot. You just need to shim the 4 way to get the slot at the proper height. Hog out most of the slot with a drill and do the final cut to size on the lathe.

Another thought. You could make a Norman style QCTP in the same amount of time as making a 4 way. I was researching how to make a 4 way when I stumbled on to making a Norman style QCTP. Here is my thread on the Norman. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/norman-style-qctp.79705/

Unless you can grind every tool bit to be exactly the same height as the top of the shank the cutting tip will be below centerline. That is why the slot for the tool bit has to be bigger than 1/2" with a portion above centerline and the rest below centerline. Make it at least 9/16. 5/8 would be better. That way you have room to shim the tool bit so the the tip of the tool bit is on centerline. The actual size of the slot is not critical.

To eliminate having to fiddle with shims every time you change a tool bit you can glue the shims to be bottom of the shank. A poor man's QCTP. Maybe we should call it a quick change tool bit. QCTB.

You can use an end mill in the chuck to cut the slot. You just need to shim the 4 way to get the slot at the proper height. Hog out most of the slot with a drill and do the final cut to size on the lathe.

Another thought. You could make a Norman style QCTP in the same amount of time as making a 4 way. I was researching how to make a 4 way when I stumbled on to making a Norman style QCTP. Here is my thread on the Norman. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/norman-style-qctp.79705/
Thanks, I’ll have to look that up. I just wanted a 4 way tool post. I never had one, mainly just wanted to try one for giggles while giving me a project to complete. I have 2 QCTP and a bunch of holders. I thought about keeping all my hss tools in the 4 way and using the quick change for all my carbide tooling. It’s not set in stone though.

My lathe came with a 4 way and I was looking for another one with the plan to have up to 8 tool bits all set to go when I saw the Norman. Just swivel the 4 way around to get the tool bit I needed. I am currently thinking about making a 3 way or 4 way tool holder for my Norman. Still in the dream about it stage.

A four way is about the last thing I want, and I have a really solid one for the Takisawa that I don’t need. The Taki is a 14” lathe. Lemme know, anybody who is interested.

My lathe came with a 4 way and I was looking for another one with the plan to have up to 8 tool bits all set to go when I saw the Norman. Just swivel the 4 way around to get the tool bit I needed. I am currently thinking about making a 3 way or 4 way tool holder for my Norman. Still in the dream about it stage.
Ahh, the "crown of thorns" toolpost! That's one of my favorites for chugging out parts, but like leaving a center in the tailstock, is the cause of too many blood stains on the ways...

Here's one. Not sure if it's a Norman or an older Dorian style.

220284.jpg

A four way is about the last thing I want
Despite having real Aloris QCTP and Dixon QCTP (and offshore QCTP, I regularly use my 4-way. It is far more rigid than even my 14lb Dixon. All my tools are ground to be at the perfect centre height for the 4-way, so I don't need the adjustment of a QCTP.

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you.

Well the 4 way project is coming along nicely, I am ready to start cutting the slots. Has anyone added a thrust washer under the handle or is it even needed? Any suggestions for adding any features to the 4 way itself? I am finding ones with ball bearings underneath them for multi positioning also.

hey @Brad125 this 2 part video might be interesting to you:

Back