[Newbie] Replacing or reusing old motor control?

I really don't have any specific CNC knowlege, just general electronical stuff, and I have worked with Arduino and steppers a little
I can't compile a sketch to save my life tho LOL

I would probably keep the motor and speed controller- save some cash there
In fact you can probably keep most of that stuff and just change the computer interface board and get new software.
You might even be able to use LinuxCNC
This lathe needs to be able to run in reverse, so the reversing relays would need to stay. If my electronics knowledge was better, I would have more confidence.
I decided against going the Linux route, I'm already trying to learn machining and wanted one less hurdle, so going with Acorn.
A VFD sounds like a possibility but any 700W AC motors I found look to big to fit. The motor needs to be less than 6" diameter.

You should be able to use Acorn with the hardware you have I would think
I don't see any good reason to replace the motor and controller, and the stepper drivers probably use standard signals
(I posted the datasheet for them, post #9)
I would make a list of reasons to keep the stuff rather than a list of things to rip out
I think it would be cheaper and easier to just interface with what's there rather than replace everything
but it depends on what you want/expect- you might actually enjoy learning some electronics; it's pretty much unavoidable
no matter which direction you go in

Last edited:
You should be able to use Acorn with the hardware you have I would think
I don't see any good reason to replace the motor and controller, and the stepper drivers probably use standard signals
(I posted the datasheet for them, post #9)
I would make a list of reasons to keep the stuff rather than a list of things to rip out
I think it would be cheaper and easier to just interface with what's there rather than replace everything
but it depends on what you want/expect- you might actually enjoy learning some electronics
Sorry, I missed seeing the data sheet, thanks! I will give some more thought on reusing all the existing speed control components, I guess there might not be to much to loss if I don't fry the motor.

For me personally I would find a CNC milling machine to be far more useful than a CNC lathe.
For the kind of onesie-twosie lathe parts I make it wouldn't be worth the programming and setup time.
Just something to consider- it's good to keep the "big picture" in perspective
A good reason not to want to spend a lot of money on it- I think we are on the same page there

Last edited:
I spend some more time looking at wiring and think I have a better idea of what is going on with the motor and controller.
I'm now trying to figure out the braking, Any clue looking at the schematic?
If anyone wanted the PDF instructions for the speed controller, I would be happy to share it if that might help.
The instructions with the controller are not clear, mostly my lack of knowledge.
-Brad
Lenze 530 speed controller.jpg

Last edited:
The terminals I and K might be braking, or it could be a temperature sensor
The unit might have some form of dynamic braking, not enough info to tell
Post whatever diagrams you have, I'll take a look

Last edited:
The terminals I and K might be braking, or it could be a temperature sensor
The unit might have some form of dynamic braking, not enough info to tell
Post whatever diagrams you have, I'll take a look
Looking at the schematic my first thought was the same that terminals I and K, but those terminals are not even being used.
I wish there was a schematic for this lathe.
Here is the pdf for the speed controller. (my speed controller is the 534 model) The braking info starts on pg 28 of the pdf manual and is referenced as Electrodynamic braking

Attachments

• 530_Speed_controllers_1202_EN.pdf
    344.8 KB · Views: 1
I think I did see a manual with schematics somewhere online for about 75$.
I believe the operating manual is available free from a couple sites
I'll post a link if I can find it again

This is going to be an advanced project and may take more investment in time than you want to put in
Think about it- what are you planning to use this machine for?

I think I did see a manual with schematics somewhere online for about 75$.
I believe the operating manual is available free from a couple sites
I'll post a link if I can find it again

This is going to be an advanced project and may take more investment in time than you want to put in
Think about it- what are you planning to use this machine for?
And, can you achieve what you want without going down this rabbit hole.

Not that that can't be enjoyable, you just need to be clear how much effort you want to put into the original electronics. You can do all the same things with newer, supported devices. There's nothing special about running a spindle, or motion control for steppers, there are many paths to get where you want to be.

Ultimately we're talking about a small training machine. If you were working on a full size VMC or CNC lathe that was going to be used in production for making money the benefits of figuring all these bits out might be more worthwhile. For a little hobby machine I'd say swap out all the controllers and get familiar with Linux CNC or Mach 3. Life is short....

JMHO,

John

Back