[Newbie] Boxford CNC came home with me, what next?

An old PC with parallel port will be the cheapest way to go. Not that hard to setup, a little learning curve but not too hard.

John

I had looked at Linux, if I went this route would it just be finding the newest PC with a Parallel port. Can most PC's run Linux? Would the PC see the Lathe and be able to feed it code?
-Brad

I like Linux for a lot of reasons but you need to be willing to put the time into learning it, not that hard but will take a little time. I can point you in the direction of a training course I worked on if you're interested. One added bonus though is Linux and Unix are almost the same as far as commands so you'll have a much better understanding of your Mac if you learn a few Linux commands.

As for hardware, you can find PCIe parallel cards cheap that will go into refurb PC's easy.

I haven't found a PC that won't run Linux yet and I've been at it since 1993, you can make it work on a MAC too but that's kinda redundant. There are tons of used, free PC's out there but there's something to be said for starting with a refurbished unit that is known working.

You'll need to check the Linux CNC Wiki to make sure the card you choose will work (I didn't with the one above but if you get one that doesn't it's not hard to exchange it).

If you go the Windows route, Mach 3 is easy to setup but it's no longer being developed, and it's proprietary software with a limited license.

Choice is up to you.

You can also look for a controller card that works with ethernet, might cost a little more and there are some reasons parallel might be better in this application but again, search the Linux CNC wiki and forum for tons of info on what hardware works good.

John

Trying to work out as many issues I can before I decide what path to take.

The spindle motor will not run in forward, reverse does run, It looks like a issue with the relay. It is a latching relay and hear & see it tripping the relay when I switch between forward and reverse. A 4 pole relay using a socket, the part looks obsolete and expensive. I might try using 2- 2 pole relays in its place.

The rotary tool turret was not lining up with the spindle, I took it apart to see if I could tell what was happening. I found 3 loose washers inside ( still not sure what they were used for). I looks like there was a spring or something missing from the ratchet mechanism that pushes the pawl out ( I put a spare spring in and seems to be working. The pawl gets pushed out as it rotates forward and after it clears the ratchet briefly goes in rev and stops at the back side of the ratchet.
IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

The X axis was sluggish when using the rapid movement. It seems worst lower down. I figured I would clean the drive screw and as I pulled out the screw and bearings out popped a couple very small ball bearings ( do the go here were I've indicated?, hopefully they didn't come from inside the bearing )
After I did this I noticed the gibs, that might have been the answer. I'll know after I put it back together.
IMG_1228.JPG

Are the screws on the little "X" and "Y" plaques some kind of adjustment?
IMG_1220_2.jpg

I found about 6 more of those tiny ball bearing that had fallen out, so not were I guessed the came from.

Total rookie mistake, the ball bearings were from the ball screw. I went to far when unthreading it.
I was able to get them all back in and all is good!

I got the lathe working manually now. After spending a bit of time looking online at a CNC update. I'm leaning toward a Centroid Acorn controller, Stepperonline stepper motors and drivers. It will require a inexpensive PC and their lathe software. The looks like a easier path to get this up and running.
I can do this for about $700. I will try to use the existing spindle motor and speed controller, hopefully be able to run the speed controller through the Acorn controller.

Back