POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Actually finished this Saturday night. A friend bought a Blackstone propane griddle, and has been extolling the virtues of cooking on it, saying smash burgers are especially tasty.
I happened to be rummaging through my metal stock (mostly scrap and some drops bought on sale) when I spotted this 6" round stock drop, about 5/8" thick, thought that would make a good burger press and/or bacon press, so pulled it out to make one up for him.
After facing one side, turning out a recess on the other for pressing burgers, started trying to figure the handle. Came up with that idea, and the other, finally decided to keep it simple. So, add in a couple pieces of 3/8"x 7" bar (a bit of flame strawing to the 3/8" bar stock)
, some 1/2" round stock, a repurposed tool handle blank (got about a dozen different ones at a flea mkt) and 4 Allen head bolts, - and got a press!

Attachments

• press 1.jpg
    press 1.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 31
  • press 2.jpg
    press 2.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 31
  • press 3.jpg
    press 3.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 31
Also got to the AC units in the Honda and truck yesterday . Had to go to WallyMart for some recharge units . 2 18oz cans and nozzles $86 . I need more to complete the truck . Figure I may as well go this route . The cabin filter in the Honda was quite filthy , waiting on one to arrive today . The window motor should be here tomorrow .

Sitting minding my own business binge watching an old series I like (Criminal minds, don't judge me!) when a Friend rang at 2pm today.

"'Ello bud, I'm on my lunch break, but rang to ask a quick favour of you and your lathe.. Can you make something for me? I need a pair of parts made from aluminium"

"Will 6082-T6 do?"

"Sure, I imagine that will be just fine. Heres the measurements of what I need".

"When do you need 'em?"

"When you have made them, no hurry"

"Ok, I'll let you know when they are done and posted. Catch you later".

A chunk of 2" diameter by 4 inch long 6082-T6 an hour of machining and an hour of cleaning later, job is completed, bits will be in the post tomorrow (Tuesday 6/8/24). Had to turn down from 2" to (grrrrrr) 18.5mm and creep down to 18mm dead-nuts diameter in multiple passes.

Friend explained what they are for, but I have to keep schtum (keep mum?) on what they are for, for now......

SAM_0144.JPG SAM_0145.JPG

And the mess this created before I got to cleaing it up... Yes, there was a lot of string and these phots only show part of the mess!

SAM_0138.JPGSAM_0139.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work. Too bad you had to turn off so much material. But I totally understand using what you have. Been there, done that...
I need more raw stock and a bigger place to keep it.....and a bigger shop budget. :)

Nice work. Too bad you had to turn off so much material. But I totally understand using what you have. Been there, done that...
I need more raw stock and a bigger place to keep it.....and a bigger shop budget. :)

Not overly worried about turning so much off, not like I was using the off-cut for much else. Just the mess that bugs me. The pleasant black-cherry fragrance is just a pleasant after aroma.

Would have made them from stainless, but "aluminium" was requested, so that is what my friend got. Needed the parts for something to do with a particular job where he currently works. Interesting work too, not that I can discuss unfortunately.

Could have done with a reamer too, but they are still "on the shopping list"..... Gues I better get some bought as I have an idea I may be making more of these parts in the future to a slightly different design..

Now, where did I put that 4mm boring bar?

Further to this, see post 7,346 (<<< LINK) where I have made a start on a full set).

Last edited:
A little bit of crane progress. Scraped off the paint drips on mating surfaces (mostly through holes where parts bolt on).

View attachment 498986

Then a lot of thinking about this process, and getting things oriented for the lift operation. The reality is these are only 600lbs each. I finally decided the plan will be to open a hole in the shop ceiling, and put the chain fall in the attic to get the needed headroom. Then a strap in the center, which will allow lifting them and swinging them into place on the rails.

Once they're in the air, I'll have to paint more parts before assembling them. But first I need to work on a couple of cars, as the beams have been blocking the lift for way too long now...

Blackberries are staring now too, so will be dealing with that for the next week+...

Please send lots of blackberries to my mom. She can convert them into a blackberry cobbler that is unworldly.

Add vanilla (Bluebell) ice cream to that cobbler and well…….. I’m traveling Labor Day weekend to visit my mom, She will probably send me home with a couple. :drool:

Back