POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

One messy job completed yesterday . Did the rear differential in the truck . Nice working conditions .........95 degrees on an asphalt driveway . Was going to put new pads on the 4Runner rears today but currently watching the storms coming . Ordered the window motor for the Honda for another day when I'm bored . LOL , I thought retirement was suppose to be easy . :rolleyes:
It is! If you were still working, your neighbors would be dropping off their cars! Now you get to work on just your stuff!

Repurposed a 10”x66” machine guard into a shelf. It is made of 1-1/2” angle iron and expanded metal. I need to get some heavier brackets for it. It was scrap from work along with 2 pieces of 2-1/2” x 1/4” wall and a piece of 2” x 2” x 1/4” wall square tubing. All of the material in the corner was saved from the scrap dumpster at work. One company’s scrap is my next shop project.

IMG_3017.jpeg

The lathe got a larger shelf above it and I added some hooks to the bottom of the cabinet to hold my chuck keys. I added a second 220V outlet so that I can leave the mill and lathe plugged in when I’m jumping back and forth between them or I can run the AC while machining

IMG_3018.jpeg

Let me help you out.

I've got a place you can store it and still use anytime you want.

Nice job
Thank You! Storage? Hmm. That could be a win/win situation. Always wanted to see Montana. Wait. 2000+ miles one way. Hmm. That could get time consuming and a mite pricey...

Removed the quill readout from my drill press and started to fit it to my mill. I was able to use one of the brackets to mount the readout. Need to make a bracket to attach the scale.

IMG_3020.jpeg

Yesterday, I also replaced the halogen bulb in the light with an LED. It runs much cooler now. It was a heat lamp with the halogen bulb.

Last edited:
The local saw mill bringing me some work. They need 3 pins made. I had to dig into my 1" drive stuff to find a socket big enough for the large nut.
The pins are 2.5" in diameter.
pin.jpg
pin2.jpg
nut.jpg

That’s pretty much them all the time unless they’re chasing squirrels

A little bit of crane progress. Scraped off the paint drips on mating surfaces (mostly through holes where parts bolt on).

MostlyThinking.jpg

Then a lot of thinking about this process, and getting things oriented for the lift operation. The reality is these are only 600lbs each. I finally decided the plan will be to open a hole in the shop ceiling, and put the chain fall in the attic to get the needed headroom. Then a strap in the center, which will allow lifting them and swinging them into place on the rails.

Once they're in the air, I'll have to paint more parts before assembling them. But first I need to work on a couple of cars, as the beams have been blocking the lift for way too long now...

Blackberries are staring now too, so will be dealing with that for the next week+...

Last edited:
Back