POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

@Janderso - I have had bad experience with Al and SS when it gets wet. If water gets in between these parts may weld together in time. Especially if salt water (road salt?)

A paid job!!
Made a set of spring shackle bushings for a guy I used to work with.

6061 aluminum and 303 Stainless

I am assuming that the guy knows to use an anti-sieze between the metals to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion?

You only have to look at early series landrovers to know what that looks like and the problems it causes!.

I also have questions over how the ally will stand up to the abuse of steel applying pressure in a single area and how much wallowing of the material will occur as a result....

Look at the second photo, hang on... let me do one thing. I hope that the OP doesn't mind this...

Look at the end of the tool, lower left middle of the photo. The insert on the tool is an aluminium insert. (I circled it).

View attachment 505788
Those positive rake tool bits cut like magic.
They are very brittle on steel though. Ask me how I know:), oops.

Those positive rake tool bits cut like magic.
They are very brittle on steel though. Ask me how I know:), oops.

Now, I use "G" inserts on steel and don't have issues of breakage. dulling yes, breaking tips? no. It is more to do with how much pressure you use combined with DOC.

I actually prefer aluminium specific inserts for turning Silver steel / drill rod and normal, mild, steels as it makes a much cleaner cut and I actually use them for single pointing too. Then again, I always use "04" or "02" tip sizes and that makes a difference as well.

What I also find strange is that a normal insert designed for steel works better for me on brass.

Back