POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

You win some...
You lose some...
And some just get rained out.

I posted this the other day...

A few days ago, I bought a rusty Sjogren 5C speed chuck off a seller on OWWM...

View attachment 505155

It was ugly, but worked good. I'm planning to use it on my South Bend 14½" lathe.

Yesterday morning, I disassembled it and soaked and scrubbed all the old oil and gunk off, then set it out to air dry.

This morning, I used Rem oil, scotchbrite, and 0000 steel wool to remove the rust. It is still stained, but not crusty, anyway.

I started to put it back together... but when I would tap the back half in place, it would lock the entire mechanism up. After fooling with it for an hour or more, disassembling/ reassembling a half dozen times, I finally discovered the gears have to be timed... there is two 'o's stamped on the center gear and punch marks on the 'planet' gears... if you line all these marks up, it works!

View attachment 505156

After assembly, it looks much better...

View attachment 505158

I already had a 2⅜- 6 tpi backplate blank that will fit my South Bend, so I chucked it up in the Hendey gearhead to rough about four inches off the OD.

After roughing...

View attachment 505160

Now I need to thread it onto the spindle on the South Bend and finish fitting it to the chuck.

The more I use the old Hendey gearhead, the more I like it... it's a long way from being perfect, but it runs and machines great. I was machining this backplate at 400 RPM, probably .010 feed per revolution (guesstimated), and .200 DOC... it took it, no complaints, no sweat... my SB couldn't do anywhere near that without severe chatter.

-Bear

The day after I posted that, I mounted the backplate on my South Bend and finished the machining on it, then clamped it on the mill and drilled and tapped the mounting holes.

I then assembled the chuck to the backplate and mounted it on the SB...

20241009_124513.jpg

20241009_124520.jpg

I was pretty excited about it... I pulled a ½" 5C collet out of the drawer and a .500" guage pin to check the runout with, and...

Crap...

5C collets won't fit this chuck...

This is the ad that I bought this chuck from...

Screenshot_20241014_223623_Chrome.jpg

After researching, I've discovered that this chuck takes 1J collets. 1J collets are the same diameter and thread as 5C, but are about ½" shorter and have a different angle on the nose...

I sent the seller a message last week, but haven't heard back from them. The seller's profile says they haven't been back on since then... maybe eventually they will get my message and contact me...

-Bear

You win some...
You lose some...
And some just get rained out.

I posted this the other day...

The day after I posted that, I mounted the backplate on my South Bend and finished the machining on it, then clamped it on the mill and drilled and tapped the mounting holes.

I then assembled the chuck to the backplate and mounted it on the SB...

View attachment 505887

View attachment 505888

I was pretty excited about it... I pulled a ½" 5C collet out of the drawer and a .500" guage pin to check the runout with, and...

Crap...

5C collets won't fit this chuck...

This is the ad that I bought this chuck from...

View attachment 505890

After researching, I've discovered that this chuck takes 1J collets. 1J collets are the same diameter and thread as 5C, but are about ½" shorter and have a different angle on the nose...

I sent the seller a message last week, but haven't heard back from them. The seller's profile says they haven't been back on since then... maybe eventually they will get my message and contact me...

-Bear
What site did you purchase on and how did you pay? If the Seller is a ghost, the site and payment processor should be able to help to some degree.

-Bear
Two questions come to mind:

Can the chuck be modified to accept 5C collets?
Can 5C collets be modified to become 1J?

Two questions come to mind:

Can the chuck be modified to accept 5C collets?
Can 5C collets be modified to become 1J?

I wouldn't modify the collets... I use them in multiple fixtures...

I have looked at modifying the chuck... but I would have to be able to very accurately grind a different angle in the nose of the chuck... it's doable, but if it gets screwed up, it won't be repairable, the chuck would be scrap.

He shouldn't have to modify it. The seller probably knew... if this was ebay, file a claim if they don't respond. If paypal you can also file a claim.

I bought it from a seller on OWWM forum classifieds, and paid by paypal. I have no recourse through the website, but can file a claim through paypal if necessary.

However, the listing was worded in a way that leads me to believe the seller was simply 'flipping' a chuck that he had just acquired... and considering how similar 1J and 5C collets are, I would rather give the seller the 'benefit of a doubt' and assume that they didn't realize the difference. I'm waiting to hear back from them...

It was $170 shipped... not a small amount, but not a life-changing amount, either... maybe I'll just spend the next 10 years searching and scrounging for collets...

Nah... I'm more likely to attempt to regrind the chuck nose to fit 5C collets.

-Bear

Daft question: can a 1/2" spacer be added between the chuck halves to get the extra amount required for 5C once the nose taper is re-ground??

Like I said, daft question, but assuming it can be split, that raised the question in my mind whether that was a potential option.

I wouldn't modify the collets... I use them in multiple fixtures...

I have looked at modifying the chuck... but I would have to be able to very accurately grind a different angle in the nose of the chuck... it's doable, but if it gets screwed up, it won't be repairable, the chuck would be scrap.

I bought it from a seller on OWWM forum classifieds, and paid by paypal. I have no recourse through the website, but can file a claim through paypal if necessary.

However, the listing was worded in a way that leads me to believe the seller was simply 'flipping' a chuck that he had just acquired... and considering how similar 1J and 5C collets are, I would rather give the seller the 'benefit of a doubt' and assume that they didn't realize the difference. I'm waiting to hear back from them...

It was $170 shipped... not a small amount, but not a life-changing amount, either... maybe I'll just spend the next 10 years searching and scrounging for collets...

Nah... I'm more likely to attempt to regrind the chuck nose to fit 5C collets.

-Bear
If he was acting in good faith, he should have said something along the lines of “appears to be a 5C chuck” and not note that he also had 5C collets. Since you cleaned it up for him, he should accept the return (and IMO pay for return shipping, but I wouldn’t push it - you can probably ship it back for less than the $20 if you check around).

Assuming you didn’t use the “friends & family” payment on PayPal they should honor a refund with you returning the chuck.

Back