POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Very nice looking pieces. Will be interested in seeing how they all fit together.

Getting things ready for paint.
Pulled the bed off the stand pedestals.
Having castors on the benches has worked out extremely well. Just rolled it over to hoist and set the bed down on the bench then rolled it back.
IMG_8691.jpeg

Removed the risers so I can clean and prep.
IMG_8693.jpeg

Placed the risers back on the pedestals until I am ready to deal with them.
IMG_8694.jpeg

Spent some time re-organizing the drawer for my inserts.

Evicted the tooling from the left hand endand moved it to a half width drawer above instead after evicting the "junk" (non-tooling items) out of that drawer.

There are 37 cases total out of the 39 that there should be (two are in the post as were omitted from the original parcel). There will, I dare say, be more in the future as tooling gets added and the need for inserts for it.

Carbide Inserts drawer.jpg

Took a bit longer than normal as switched a lot of the cases from the ones they were supplied in to keep with my "colour coding" system.

Last edited:

Evicted the tooling from the left hand endand moved it to a half width drawer above instead after evicting the "junk" (non-tooling items) out of that drawer.

There are 37 cases total out of the 39 that there should be (two are in the post as were omitted from the original parcel). There will, I dare say, be more in the future as tooling gets added and the need for inserts for it.

View attachment 505435

Took a bit longer than normal as switched a lot of the cases from the ones they were supplied in to keep with my "colour coding" system.
Organized as expected, but many more than I have.

Organized as expected, but many more than I have.

@ChazzC

To be fair, that little lot will last me a fair while. I bought in bulk to save myself time and and it will pay dividends given things will be going up in cost again before too long. It also means that the duplicate tools can carry different type inserts so I don't waste time swapping inserts out as I am working. I should also mention I have multiple tools that use the same insert type, so there is a need for a good supply to be at-hand.

I still need to sort out some HSS blanks so I can grind a couple of specific tools. Much as I enjoy the convenience of carbide insert tooling, I still prefer HSS for certain work.

Now all I have to do is "Tetris" the tool holders into the small half drawer until I sort a proper tool cabinet/box for my metrology equipment that is hogging some much needed space that I could otherwise use for the tooling.

Just pulled out my copy of Best's Insert book to double check what I've got. Going to use your idea to label them.

Just pulled out my copy of Best's Insert book to double check what I've got. Going to use your idea to label them.

@Shiseiji

Certainly helps me keep track, stops any confusion and makes it easier to grab the insert I want without having to try and read tiny microscopic (it seems) lettering on the end of the case.

I went with a "simple" colour code for now (Red / White / Blue) . If/when I can acquire the relevant cases, I will switch to the below scheme.

I created a label listing the PHMKSNO details and stuck it on the lip of my drawer v(p =steel etc), then a separate label with P =Blue etc.

BTW, this might help.....

material lists for inserts.png

Any system is better than no system! Appreciate the share. I have a Logan 820 and the motor is behind the lathe, leaving ~ 16" of space to the wall. Don't want to store things there I might be tempted to go after while the lathe is under power. Now I'm thinking it would be a good place to store inserts and HHS. I just hung up a small set of drawers on French cleats, so easy to relocate. Inserts & HHS may be the best usage for it. Thanks again!

Any system is better than no system! Appreciate the share. I have a Logan 820 and the motor is behind the lathe, leaving ~ 16" of space to the wall. Don't want to store things there I might be tempted to go after while the lathe is under power. Now I'm thinking it would be a good place to store inserts and HHS. I just hung up a small set of drawers on French cleats, so easy to relocate. Inserts & HHS may be the best usage for it. Thanks again!

@Shiseiji

Whatever you do, however you do it, so long as you understand it and can follow it, that is all that matters. ;)

As for me? I need a certain amount of order and organisation otherwise it drives me N U T S !! So much for H/F ASD with a side order of OCD being helpful!

Constant re-organising just to get everything "right" can be highly annoying, but the results are often very pleasing..

Back