POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Now get out the Oxpho blue and get that nice blue finish
You know, I've been meaning to get some Oxpho Blue for a long time. It always slips my mind when ordering stuff.
This particular clamp is going to get polished.
I still need to make the retainer clip, but I'll post a picture when it's finished.

Shop "Improvement" Project
In between getting all the necessary accoutrements for the mill, I cut apart two display cases for the slat board I've been tripping over for more than a year. I can't do perfect, as much as I want too. So I went for usable as it will probably never be done. The backs made decent shelves. Have a few more to put up then move the cased tools from where they are squirrelled away around the shop.

The bottom row of shelves are old steel Craftsman table saw stamped wings. Something for the indicator holders to clamp onto. I've had a plan to try Unistrut to hold 3D printed tool holders. That's now mounted, at least temporarily. The back of the Monarch is to the front of the Logan. I need to either rotate the Monarch or put them on something portable. Have a few more drawer cases to hang on the French cleat. And moved the mill to where a step stool will fit between the Logan and the Clausing.

1000007358.jpg

That’s what I figured.

Ithaca, Syracuse, Oswago, Rochester or Buffalo?
Camp is in Stratford NY inside ADK Park . Went up to Old Forge for a day and the leaves were in peak . Did the 30 mile dirt road thru the woods which was great as always .

Camp is in Stratford NY inside ADK Park . Went up to Old Forge for a day and the leaves were in peak . Did the 30 mile dirt road thru the woods which was great as always .
That’s at the south end of the park. My only experience in Adirondack Park is around Lake Placid, where I participated in the Ironman USA back in 2000. I got a good exposure to the Adirondack High Peaks during that 112 miles on the bike :)

There is no better swimming lake on the planet than Mirror Lake in Lake Placid, but the it’s all mountains.

You had mentioned the Ausable River before you last trip—that runs along one long leg of that bike course. The descent from Lake Placid to Keene along the river was fun. Climbing back up in front of Whiteface Mountain? Not so much.

Rick “and the there was the marathon” Denney

Made a spacer for the surface grinder. The spindle is 1” and all of my wheels are 1 1/4” so a simple job. I made the bore a thou under so I could heat it up and slide it on. The od is a few tenths undersized. The tolerances are pretty good for the south bend.IMG_7303.jpeg
The stock I used was an old bushing
IMG_7304.jpeg
Here’s the finished partIMG_7305.jpeg
On the spindle IMG_7306.jpeg
All assembled

I made this last week but didn’t get around to posting it. The surface grinder had the remnants of a jib crane. I kept the lower parts and welded on a plate. Bolted the bench grinder on it so two of the dirty machines can be hooked up to the same shop vac. I’ll get a little bold one just for these to keep the grit out of the air and away from the other machines.IMG_7288.jpeg

Made an adapter to use my geometric die head on my Hardinge lathe. The head was getting tossed at work so I snatched it up. Material is 1144 stressproof. One end of the adapter is #2 Morse taper and the other end is 1.000” ID. To cut the taper, I indicated my live center in the 4-jaw chuck, then aligned the compound to the taper on the center. When checking the fit to the tailstock taper, I found that the taper in the tailstock has a couple galled spots where a drill chuck has apparently been spun.

IMG_3228.jpegIMG_3227.jpegIMG_3226.jpeg

Back