POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Finally finished the head for the lathe.
All in all things were in good shape, just needed some clean up and TLC.
Started with this
IMG_7383.jpeg
Finished with this.
IMG_8681.jpeg

IMG_8684.jpeg

Bed is the only thing left now. Going to leave the chip tray and stand as is.
IMG_8667.jpeg

Last edited:
A few days ago, I bought a rusty Sjogren 5C speed chuck off a seller on OWWM...

Screenshot_20241004_210601_Chrome.jpg

It was ugly, but worked good. I'm planning to use it on my South Bend 14½" lathe.

Yesterday morning, I disassembled it and soaked and scrubbed all the old oil and gunk off, then set it out to air dry.

This morning, I used Rem oil, scotchbrite, and 0000 steel wool to remove the rust. It is still stained, but not crusty, anyway.

I started to put it back together... but when I would tap the back half in place, it would lock the entire mechanism up. After fooling with it for an hour or more, disassembling/ reassembling a half dozen times, I finally discovered the gears have to be timed... there is two 'o's stamped on the center gear and punch marks on the 'planet' gears... if you line all these marks up, it works!

20241008_101334.jpg

After assembly, it looks much better...

20241008_102236.jpg

I already had a 2⅜- 6 tpi backplate blank that will fit my South Bend, so I chucked it up in the Hendey gearhead to rough about four inches off the OD.

After roughing...

20241008_111602.jpg

Now I need to thread it onto the spindle on the South Bend and finish fitting it to the chuck.

The more I use the old Hendey gearhead, the more I like it... it's a long way from being perfect, but it runs and machines great. I was machining this backplate at 400 RPM, probably .010 feed per revolution (guesstimated), and .200 DOC... it took it, no complaints, no sweat... my SB couldn't do anywhere near that without severe chatter.

-Bear

Finally finished the head for the lathe.
All in all things were in good shape, just needed some clean up and TLC.
Started with this

Finished with this.

View attachment 505046

Bed is the only thing left now. Going to leave the chip tray and stand as is.
I know nothing about Clausing lathes, or much else for that matter. Interesting the REV|OFF|FWD is reverse of my Monarch and most, all?, of the drum switches I've seen.

Fixed a friends trailer ramp for him. If that breaks he has other problems :)View attachment 504582View attachment 504583
Doing the same to mine when all this weather is back to normal... Poor trailer needs a lot of tlc.

Yesterday, since the weather was perfect, I dug where the sprinklers run so the guys doing the electrical and the folks doing the concrete for the driveway, do not have to deal with that...

Sprinkler-2.jpeg
Sprinkler-1.jpeg

Replaced the crap-tastic quill DRO on my PM-30 mill with an iGaging unit with a far better display, which hopefully won't have the same nasty habit of deciding it's time to turn off in the middle of an operation like the original. The original was also very difficult to see if your eyes were not on the same level as the display, plus it had to be 'in the mood' to turn off, on or re-zero; and it ate those batteries like they were Necco wafer candies. Easy-peasy swap out.

This is unlikely to be the final home for the display. Think I'll re-route the cabling and mount it closer to the main DRO display. Maybe on that horizontal arm, below the LT bottom corner of the display.

20241010_144737.jpg

Back