POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Interesting series of posts. Bakelite is Phenol-formaldehyde resin mixed with some filler. Wood dust originally. Heat is the process to cause the setting reaction. Not long after Bakelite became commercially used, paper became the filler and Formica was born. This resin has been used with about every filler material known to man. Widely used in musical instruments, gears, billiard balls etc. The East Germans even made car bodies out of it. Information from Wikipedia. The dust from machining is not good for your lungs.

@Larry$

Hence my comment about a mask and a hoover that I made prior..

Much like certain other materials, cast-iron included!

With bakelite, I would be wearing a proper full face mask and having a hoover running to contain swarf and particulates, just as with cast-iron.

Just got home from a Lever Bros / Unilever breakfast with all the old ex-coworkers . About 35 mechanics/machinists and electricians showed up this year . I haven't seen this many crafts people in years but was good to see that most are doing well health wise . All are retired other than the youngest who was the oiler . A great time was had by all that attended , and I think I pawned off a few more tools from the garage . :encourage::grin:
I've been abusing you over on the "Northern" forum.

I've been abusing you over on the "Northern" forum.
LOL , I'm abused everywhere and used to it ! :grin: I have to load up some of my Starrett stuff on their site for Stelster soon . Just got back from Upstate NY , the tress were impressive but not quite peak on the property . Heading back up in 2 weeks . Oh , I'll check out your abuse later on tonight also , haven't been on there in a while with traveling .

Interesting series of posts. Bakelite is Phenol-formaldehyde resin mixed with some filler. Wood dust originally. Heat is the process to cause the setting reaction. Not long after Bakelite became commercially used, paper became the filler and Formica was born. This resin has been used with about every filler material known to man. Widely used in musical instruments, gears, billiard balls etc. The East Germans even made car bodies out of it. Information from Wikipedia. The dust from machining is not good for your lungs.
I have a fair bit of Tufnol, (offcuts) which I think is a bit like bakelite.

The bits I have would make good bodies for AIO vape boxes.

I've looked at the data sheets and have been meaning to contact the manufacturers to check if there are any saftey problems with this usage.

LOL , I'm abused everywhere and used to it ! :grin: I have to load up some of my Starrett stuff on their site for Stelster soon . Just got back from Upstate NY , the tress were impressive but not quite peak on the property . Heading back up in 2 weeks . Oh , I'll check out your abuse later on tonight also , haven't been on there in a while with traveling .
That’s what I figured.

Ithaca, Syracuse, Oswago, Rochester or Buffalo?

I have a fair bit of Tufnol, (offcuts) which I think is a bit like bakelite.

The bits I have would make good bodies for AIO vape boxes.

I've looked at the data sheets and have been meaning to contact the manufacturers to check if there are any saftey problems with this usage.
Tufnol is resin either blended with fibers or laminated with fabric. Pure Bakelite is just resin, but there were/are versions had powders mixed in as a filler material.

Any of the blended material can give you white lung and phenolic dust is hazardous.

Back