POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

It may be noticed that the lathe is slid backwards and not bolted down. Simply put, I move it forwards, bolt it down, use it, unbolt it, clean up, clean the lathe and slide it backwards.

OK, I need to know when you decided to do that so I can check my security cameras: that is basically the same setup I have been using for well over 10 years.

Photos to follow once I’m allowed back in the shop (or office so I can see what photos I already have: library is offloaded on a hard drive to save laptop space).

OK, I need to know when you decided to do that so I can check my security cameras: that is basically the same setup I have been using for well over 10 years.

Photos to follow once I’m allowed back in the shop (or office so I can see what photos I already have: library is offloaded on a hard drive to save laptop space).

@ChazzC

Same method I have used since day one of owning the darn thing.

Once my other lathe is rebuilt, I will be doing exactly the same thing, in exactly the same space. The SC3 will be going bye-bye once the other lathe is finished since I do not have the space for two lathes...

Organizing: As the categories get finer and finer the # of individual locations grows rapidly. Things used often need to be easily accessible. Then there are those two things that haven't been used since the last eclipse that I might use, someday. They got moved during the last 4 shop rearrangements/organizations. There's not enough active space in my brain or I have given up trying to remember every item's last location. Hell to get old.

Organizing: As the categories get finer and finer the # of individual locations grows rapidly. Things used often need to be easily accessible. Then there are those two things that haven't been used since the last eclipse that I might use, someday. They got moved during the last 4 shop rearrangements/organizations. There's not enough active space in my brain or I have given up trying to remember every item's last location. Hell to get old.

With my lathe tool cabinet, high use tools are in the upper drawers, lesser used / rare-use tools (milling slide/steady rest et-al are stored lower down in the cabinet in a "top down" method of organisation. It is a method that has worked for me for well over 30 years of owning tools and toolboxes.

It could be argued to be a hirarchical system, but I am not sure I would go that far.

Need to make some complex shaped aluminum parts on the CNC but not enough for dedicated fixtures, so some new vise jaws for the Kurt’s. I got a set of Saunders Machine Works castle grips to test out. Now to see how they work. Also making smooth bars to use them as step jaws. IMG_6950.jpeg

had to fix my come along, we exceeded the capacity easily. The pulley and ratchet failed.
Made a new solid pulley and welded the ratchet. It was only tacked by the manufacturer. This should last a while.

Attachments

• PXL_20240929_182941428.jpg
    PXL_20240929_182941428.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 7f711f2a-2f51-4425-a7f7-af28c88cfb7b.jpg
    7f711f2a-2f51-4425-a7f7-af28c88cfb7b.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 16
  • c7dbcaa1-117c-4825-9142-78f41b4bd8cc.jpg
    c7dbcaa1-117c-4825-9142-78f41b4bd8cc.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 16
Finished the cabinet dolly. Just have to finish the handle and window.. might be a few weeks for that.
I also have to figure out what I am doing with the drawers. These stupid things have holes in the bottom, very much like my small parts bins made by SteelMaster

Attachments

• PXL_20240929_205351920.jpg
    PXL_20240929_205351920.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240929_205340308.jpg
    PXL_20240929_205340308.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240929_200619276.jpg
    PXL_20240929_200619276.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240929_200555781.jpg
    PXL_20240929_200555781.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 21
Have your wife look. It's embarrassing, but often works. Mike
If I ask my wife to look, right after she's gone on a hunt to find it in some remote location, it magically turns up. There was a time I was stupid enough to start using it right away. I have since learned that it is critical to then go start looking for the wife. And yet another hunt begins ...

If I ask my wife to look, right after she's gone on a hunt to find it in some remote location, it magically turns up. There was a time I was stupid enough to start using it right away. I have since learned that it is critical to then go start looking for the wife. And yet another hunt begins ...
Similar experience. When I was a CAD monkey, no matter how long I studied the display for things to be "fixed", the instant I sent it to the printer (large format) I would see something. Rinse and repeat, maybe 3 or 4 times. That wasted a lot of paper, etc. LOL

Similar experience. When I was a CAD monkey, no matter how long I studied the display for things to be "fixed", the instant I sent it to the printer (large format) I would see something. Rinse and repeat, maybe 3 or 4 times. That wasted a lot of paper, etc. LOL

That’s why I always checked all of the sheets (including electrical) in a set of plans on a project while they were also being checked by someone not working on the project: usually found something three others had missed (and quite often something stupid, like a wall location like this 15’ 4-63/128”; designer/engineer/architect forgot to change the default units).

Back