POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Ok For all you organizer fanatics I need some help. I purchased some rivet nuts and an installation tool 11 years ago for a 1-time modification on our motorhome. As you might suspect after all these years, I need them again to make an additional modification.

Where do I start looking? After at least a dozen shop rearrangements, I have no idea where to start. My memory is great, it's just short.
I recommend looking in the last place you put them.

Wow!! I appreciate all the suggestions. I think my next course of action will be to contact the Long Island Medium. Maybe he/she can contact the proper spirits that can direct me to the last place I used them.

I’ve looked in on and under the most obvious places with no results

Wow!! I appreciate all the suggestions. I think my next course of action will be to contact the Long Island Medium. Maybe he/she can contact the proper spirits that can direct me to the last place I used them.

I’ve looked in on and under the most obvious places with no results

@projectnut

How about the "not obvious" places?

Have you looked inside that suitcase in the loft? How about under the kitchen sink or in the back of your wardrobe? :laughing:

More to the point.... What did you last use it for and where were you when you used it??

I last used them in the driveway 11 years ago to modify the retainers that hold the water heater closed on the motorhome. The door is hinged at the top and was held closed by 2 sheet metal screws through tabs to the cabinet frame. Since we drain the heater after every trip I replaced the screws with rivnuts and 1/4-20 thumb screws

I had the gas spring on another door shear the mounting rivets. I want to replace the rivets with rivnuts and 1/4-20 socket head bolts.

I know I’ll find everything in the last place I look so I should look there next

"First order retrievability"
This is somewhat the approach I have chosen here :encourage: Only the most generic stuff goes on the pegboards above the main workbench. The specialty stuff will go to the drawers or the tool trolleys based on the specialtiness of the stuff :grin: Bicycle specific tools will have their own dedicated area in the shop, so that they won't be in the way when working on non-bicycle related projects.

I wouldn’t put too much time into “getting it right the first time”. As your shop grows it will undoubtedly be rearranged many times. I started with 2 machines many years ago and am currently at 24. There are still a couple on the”would like to have list” but space is getting short. I can’t count the times the shop has been rearranged.

Each machine requires new tools and tooling. It’s a never ending job
I have a clear scope for my current shop (with very little space) and will try to get it right in the current location Flustered When I get a bigger shop, rearranging is naturally needed.

I last used them in the driveway 11 years ago to modify the retainers that hold the water heater closed on the motorhome. The door is hinged at the top and was held closed by 2 sheet metal screws through tabs to the cabinet frame. Since we drain the heater after every trip I replaced the screws with rivnuts and 1/4-20 thumb screws

I had the gas spring on another door shear the mounting rivets. I want to replace the rivets with rivnuts and 1/4-20 socket head bolts.

I know I’ll find everything in the last place I look so I should look there next
Do you carry a tool kit in the motorhome? You may have decided to keep the RivNuts with the other motorhome fix-it stuff.

Alternatively, if you purchase replacements, the originals will probably reappear shortly after you render the new ones unreturnable.

Here we go again!

This is the start of a longer feedscrew for the compound slide on the 7x I am rebuilding and, again, it is from 17mm O/D silver steel, starting with an offcut from a prior project. I have left it "in the lathe" as it were as it is safer there than anywhere and it means I do not disturb the concentricity should I need to turn the section down further before running the die down it.

SAM_0234.JPG

Why longer? well the original feed screw is not the same length as the compound rest for one thing, for another, I am carrying out the obligatotry "add bearings to this b*tch" mod and needed a longer end on the dial side, so why not make the screw section the correct length whilst I am there?

Plans are all done, now I just need to knuckle down and do the work.

Yes, I still have to complete the cross-slide feedscrew, but I am waiting on a tap and die (7/16-18 BSF R/H split die and 3 pc tap set if anyone is interested) as well as some stock (brass hex and steel round) )to arrive so that I can finish that and in the meantime, I want to keep the momentum going on the work that needs to be done.

I have all of the required stock required for the compound screw mod since that is only a section of aluminium plate, bearings and the silver- steel for the new feedscrew but again, I am awaiting a die to cut the threads (3/8-20 R/H split die). Whilst I could do this single-point, I prefer the use of a die for things like feed screws and that is just my personal preference. Once the threading is done, I will then be able to concentrate on the (easy) remainder of the work.

It may be noticed that the lathe is slid backwards and not bolted down. Simply put, I move it forwards, bolt it down, use it, unbolt it, clean up, clean the lathe and slide it backwards.

Here it is in "stored" mode...

Yes, there are two saddles on the bed... The one on the right is the one for the lathe I am rebuilding. It is easier and safer to store it sat on the lathe than anywhere else and it keeps it where I can easily get to it. It is a wierd sight at first, but to be honest, I actually find it rather amusing.

SAM_0235.JPG SAM_0236.JPG

As an aside, some may have noticed the "circle" on the top of the compound slide riser section on the compound for the lathe I am rebuilding. That is is about a mod I want to do, but will need access to a mill to complete since my milling slide/vice/compound setup is not rigid enough for the task and the slide is just over the maximum swing of the 7x.

Last edited:
Made a set of T-Nuts for my super tiny rotary table. There were some poorly made ones that came with it. Since i need to use the rotary table real soon, i decided to make a set for myself. Tapped 10/32, made out of some 47xx-PH SS I had in my bins. They're much nicer than what came with it. IMG_0004.jpegIMG_0003.jpeg

Back