POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I am always in awe of people who can do this.
I am terrible, my workshop is a mess.
I blame it on always having a flunkie to clear up behind me all day throughout my working career.

I blame it on always having a flunkie to clear up behind me all day throughout my working career.

It is a state of mind. Once you plan to cleanup after yourself, you allow enough time. If I am working on the lathe, I know I need to have at least an hour minimum to give myself time to clean and pack-up tools, clean up the mess from working on the lathe, then clean and relube the lathe. Yes, it takes away from working time, but then, starting with a clean workspace and leaving it clean afterwards is just as much about safety as it is about being tidy. As for tools always being put away, I always know where specific tools are when I need them without having to go hunting for them.

I have different toolboxes specific to tools for specific jobs (Carepentry / plumbing / general household / bicycle specific/ model building / air tools / compressor tools /Hot box for my braizing kit and blowtorches / dremel tooling / sander sheets / a set of drawers for all Wet n Dry sandpaper / the tool cabinet for my lathe tools and tooling etc etc) Every time a tool is used, it is placed back exactly where it came from in the specific toolbox it came from. Saves me a lot of headaches and I always know where things are to boot.

Lucky bugger! :grin:

My level of tidiness is directly proportional to the level of setbacks I encounter. If things are going well, I'm pretty good, if not so (especially if I have to walk away for a bit to clear my head), the shop gets notably less tidy for a while until I say, "enough" to myself and have a clear up.

Interestingly, having that clear up often helps me 'tidy' my mind and things start to go more smoothly.

If I've left the shop in a state overnight (that only happens if I've hit 'bedtime' during a tricky period), the first job of the next day is to tidy. Starting a session with the workshop in a reasonably orderly state helps.

Generally, for some reason, things tend to get untidy. Usually, I try to clean up every session. But I get interruptions, and life happens. Once things start interfering with shop work flow, I step back, and do a clean up. I do find the process of getting things organized helps a whole lot when starting to work again. Somehow the process also organizes your mind and the order of operations becomes clearer.

Some of you are far more organized than I am, I marvel at your abilities. But I manage to muddle along and sometimes a decent result occurs. When that happens it gives me pleasure and a feeling of accomplishment.

Generally, for some reason, things tend to get untidy. Usually, I try to clean up every session. But I get interruptions, and life happens. Once things start interfering with shop work flow, I step back, and do a clean up. I do find the process of getting things organized helps a whole lot when starting to work again. Somehow the process also organizes your mind and the order of operations becomes clearer.

Some of you are far more organized than I am, I marvel at your abilities. But I manage to muddle along and sometimes a decent result occurs. When that happens it gives me pleasure and a feeling of accomplishment.

Oh yes, life happens, thats a given.

Regarding organisation, it is something that is learnt from a young age or through bitter experience of never finding anything when you need or want it.

I grew up with a fairly systematic organisation to things, so it tended to rub-off on me from a young age. My brother on the other hand? well, lets just say he is a little more "Laissez-faire" with things and, frankly, I envy him that, I honestly do. Sometimes I just want to kick back and relax, but no, I have to tidy up if something is out of place before I can think of relaxing.

Ok For all you organizer fanatics I need some help. I purchased some rivet nuts and an installation tool 11 years ago for a 1-time modification on our motorhome. As you might suspect after all these years, I need them again to make an additional modification.

Where do I start looking? After at least a dozen shop rearrangements, I have no idea where to start. My memory is great, it's just short.

Ok For all you organizer fanatics I need some help. I purchased some rivet nuts and an installation tool 11 years ago for a 1-time modification on our motorhome. As you might suspect after all these years, I need them again to make an additional modification.

Where do I start looking? After at least a dozen shop rearrangements, I have no idea where to start. My memory is great, it's just short.

Look first in the tool cabinets/toolboxes/cabinets/storage boxes/shelves or place/s that you have not look into for months or longer.

Look BEHIND and UNDER things as well as ON TOP of things you know you have not moved in months or longer.

I always put tools up right after I use them. That is unless I get distracted and then it ... "SQUIRREL" ...

Have you tried reaching out to the Long Island Medium?

This is why I label everything and try to keep like things together; also, this is one time having a small shop is a good (-ish) thing. I used my Rivnut tool & inserts 3 years ago, but I know exactly where they are because I see the labels at least once a week.

Back