POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

You have a heck of a lot more room fo ryourt lathe than I do! I literally have 4" more width than the lathe and that is only at the t/stock end. It makes for some fun manouevers if I want to use the change gears or remove the tailstock.
I do have some fun if the tail stock is at the right end of its travel and the mill X-Axis power feed ia all the way to its left; kind of like a dance.

Talking of tailstocks, I have a 6" handwheel for the t/stock of the lathe I am rebuilding. Makes it easier to run the quill back in just by a sharp spin of the handwheel. Not like I have room for a handle on it unless I use a fold-away one. Overkill? maybe, but it also makes the quill a little more sensitive when trying to drill slowly.
I saw that in an earlier post; wouldn't work with mine as it has rotary encoder DRO which adds some drag (and also sometimes loses its location if the hand wheel is turned too fast).

I do have some fun if the tail stock is at the right end of its travel and the mill X-Axis power feed ia all the way to its left; kind of like a dance.

I saw that in an earlier post; wouldn't work with mine as it has rotary encoder DRO which adds some drag (and also sometimes loses its location if the hand wheel is turned too fast).

Still does not mean a bigger handwheel could not be fitted for more sensitivity though, surely?

As for rotary encoders? I'll stick to a modified "very-near" thanks. Those rotary encoders, to me, are a waste of time not just because of the flaw you mention about losing location, but also due to the excessive space they take up.

Damn. Probably had 20+ hrs into that part....

Final turning operation, natch.

Dang, I didn't mean to post that I liked it, but clicked something wrong. I meant to express sorrow....

I made a comedy of errors. That's what i made in my shop this afternoon.
Mounted up the rotary table, centered it up, clamped workpiece (tight enough to hold loose enough to align), lined it up (DTI, within .0005") with my X axis, threw an end mill in the spindle, lowered the head down...,...,...& i didn't put any packing underneath the work piece! Wow!
Fixed that & milled the radius. It most definitely didn't come out as planned but it's not terrible for my first time doing anything on a rotary table.
I most definitely could have made my alignment pin to a little better tolerance. It definitely had some play & I'm sure it moved a little while cutting the radius. One side cut further than the other. Next time, if the pin has play, I'm going to make it over again.
I may try to fix it with a file, but I also may leave it how it is as a reminder of things not to do.
IMG_0008.jpegIMG_0007.jpegIMG_0009.jpeg

Put the plasma table to work today and cut a bunch of parts for the Cub
Cat 0 3 point project.
Most were 1/4" but a few are from 3/8" stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, i know. But at the same time, that's the problem.
Yes, I know the feeling; 30 years ago I faked a miter on the cove molding on our kitchen cabinets: I think the last time I looked at it was during the Covid Shutdown.

I admire those who casually set ip their RT for rounding rod ends, and admire how easy Joe Pie makes using a RT look. Myself, I blue up the stock, trace a radius around a convenient washer, head up to the garage where the belt grinders live and then buff up the results on the deburring wheel.

I made a comedy of errors. That's what i made in my shop this afternoon.
Mounted up the rotary table, centered it up, clamped workpiece (tight enough to hold loose enough to align), lined it up (DTI, within .0005") with my X axis, threw an end mill in the spindle, lowered the head down...,...,...& i didn't put any packing underneath the work piece! Wow!
Fixed that & milled the radius. It most definitely didn't come out as planned but it's not terrible for my first time doing anything on a rotary table.
I most definitely could have made my alignment pin to a little better tolerance. It definitely had some play & I'm sure it moved a little while cutting the radius. One side cut further than the other. Next time, if the pin has play, I'm going to make it over again.
I may try to fix it with a file, but I also may leave it how it is as a reminder of things not to do.
View attachment 504333View attachment 504334View attachment 504335
Is that 1" square stock for the uprights?

Back