POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

My session with the Long Island Medium (Jack Daniels) was successful. After a complex and protracted conversation I looked in the last place I expected to find the nuts and tool.

The “spirits” were with me. The quest ended successfully with both the rivnuts and installation tool in hand. Now all I have to do is install them.

Last edited:
m
My session with the Long Island Medium (Jack Daniels) was successful. After a complex and protracted conversation I looked in the last place I expected to find the nuts and tool.

The “spirits” were with me. The quest ended successfully with both the rivnuts and installation tool in hand. Now all I have to do is install them.

You’re welcome!

Now that the crane parts are out of the way, time for some dreaded work with my second worse enemy. Rust!

This old car is getting two new wheel bearings, a CV shaft, four sway bar links, and the brakes cleaned up. Probably also a new oil pan, or at least a fresh layer of RTV (what the factory used) between the pan and block.

It might get a new driveshaft (if the drive doesn't quiet up after the noisy bearings), and maybe, just maybe a new Cat back exhaust (If the new owner wants it). I hate selling cars to relatives... But at least I'm not paying for the parts.
PileORust.jpg

I did get to exercise a tool that's been in the toolbox, just waiting for a day like this. South Main Auto youtube channel refers to this one as "Big Nasty", and boy is it ever! It'll rattle rust off things and knock loose rusty parts. Just don't let it go wild, it will forcibly damage things if you let it. Great for getting at things that are hard to hit with a 3lbs persuader.

BigNasty.jpg

@ChazzC

Same method I have used since day one of owning the darn thing.

Once my other lathe is rebuilt, I will be doing exactly the same thing, in exactly the same space. The SC3 will be going bye-bye once the other lathe is finished since I do not have the space for two lathes...

Have had this basic arrangement (with a few tweaks) since mid-2014.

Lathe in operating position at the front of the bench (blue CoroPlast background for article photo, there's a sheet metal backsplash-ish behind it):
Lead Photo Lathe w TDROs rfs.jpg
The lathe baseboard is bolted to the workbench top with two, 1/4-20 hex bolts & threaded inserts.

Lathe pushed back under a shelf so I have a little worktop space (TouchDRO tablet is on a camera dovetail mount, so it comes off and is stowed nearby):
Lathe Stowed rfs.jpg
There's a filler piece (pinkish board) level with the bench top between the back of the top and the wall; I periodically use paste wax on the bench top to keep it clean and just slippery enough so the lathe assembly slides easily.

Have had this basic arrangement (with a few tweaks) since mid-2014.

Lathe in operating position at the front of the bench (blue CoroPlast background for article photo, there's a sheet metal backsplash-ish behind it):
View attachment 504195
The lathe baseboard is bolted to the workbench top with two, 1/4-20 hex bolts & threaded inserts.

Lathe pushed back under a shelf so I have a little worktop space (TouchDRO tablet is on a camera dovetail mount, so it comes off and is stowed nearby):
View attachment 504196
There's a filler piece (pinkish board) level with the bench top between the back of the top and the wall; I periodically use paste wax on the bench top to keep it clean and just slippery enough so the lathe assembly slides easily.

You have a heck of a lot more room fo ryourt lathe than I do! I literally have 4" more width than the lathe and that is only at the t/stock end. It makes for some fun manouevers if I want to use the change gears or remove the tailstock.

Talking of tailstocks, I have a 6" handwheel for the t/stock of the lathe I am rebuilding. Makes it easier to run the quill back in just by a sharp spin of the handwheel. Not like I have room for a handle on it unless I use a fold-away one. Overkill? maybe, but it also makes the quill a little more sensitive when trying to drill slowly.

Back