POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

“brassic:” had to look that one up!

On the plus side, my Little Shop is only about 90 minutes away, and another hour to America’s oldest brewery (which has great lager). And if you visit in early January we’ll take you to Cabin Fever!

Try looking up "Bernie" then if Brassic had you searching. The english language is great, but cockney is also fun, if a bit confusing to those unfamiliar with it.

Anywhoosle, time for some rosy before heading to bedfordshire. Luckily I don't have apples, so my biscuits and cheese are safe, but that don't mean my plates ain't sore from two days under the current bun doin what equated to an all day ball of chalk whilst doling out various amounts sugar and honey.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I actually meant did YOU need to back out after walking in, or did you have a small area large enough to turn around?
Plenty of room to move around. It’ll be even better once I get the small stuff better organized.

Biggest thing is full access to the 42” mechanics roller cab. Can pull the drawers all the way out without hitting the car.

John

Last edited:
Little more work on the crane. Cleaned up the drive shaft. A good bit of mineral spirits to wipe it down, then some scotch brite pads, then a good coat of LPS 3 to prevent rust. This drive shaft can't be painted, so LPS 3 or similar was the only option. Also opted not to paint the sliding collar that holds the bearing and chain drive for the drive shaft, giving it a good coat of LPS3 also.

Shaft3.jpg Shaft4.jpg

Getting that bugger up there, was a challenge. Had to carry it up the ladder with bearings, bearing supports, and sliding collar. Probably around 50 or more lbs. Once near the top, the chain fall carriage held one end, while the scaffold held the other. Getting the bolts through the beam into the bearing supports required a second person. Just no way to hold a bolt, the shaft/bearing support, and spin a nut on. That second person turned out to be the wife, who of course is severely afraid of heights. The second smaller driveshaft was added once this one was installed. that one did get painted white also.

Shaft2.jpg Shaft1.jpg

Lastly, mounted the drive sprocket, and idler sprockets on both ends. A lot of fiddling around with small parts, so time consuming even if it's easy work. In some of the images you can see the sloppy painting. Don't look too close! lol.
DriveParts.jpg

Final steps will be to get the roller chain installed on both rails, and then the handwheel drive mechanism painted and installed, and aligned properly. There is some light at the end of the tunnel after all!

Finally upgraded the Sieg SC3 from a 3" flanged spindle to 4" flanged spindle. At least I regain the 3/4" back from not having to use a 3" to 4" adapter backplate, that was so annoying! Glad I ordered when I did as it is now shown as "out of stock, back ordered".

Ordered Wednesday last week (11th sept) arrived this morning (16th Sept). Quick international shipping at its best.

For those wondering, yes, it was from LittleMachineShop.com (L.M.S), part# 5579 (<<< LINK) on the website.

*** EDIT TO ADD PHOTS ***

Photos of the fitted 4" flange spindle. As can be seen in the below phots, the original 3" flanged spindle is coated in storage oil, wrapped and sealed in a plastic outer bag.

The Red dykem line is a single centre-punch mark to indicate where a 4 bolt chuck lines up with the two top bolts level when the marks is at TDC, the Blue dykem mark is two centre-punch marks to indicate where a three bolt chuck mounts up with a single bolt at the top when the mark is at TDC. It should be that the blue is for the 4 bolt and red for three bolt chucks, so it needs changing. It is based on a simple map of red has 3 letters, blue has 4 letters, so red = 3 bolt and blue = 4 bolt. It is a simple but effective way to just glance, clock the spindle and then mount the chuck without having to think about it.

Each chuck also has a centre-punch mark/s that align/s with the spindle marks, only added once all possible positions have been checked and the best balance is achieved.

Yes, the flange of the new spindle has a coating of oil to protect it between uses. It gets wiped off before a chuck is mounted.

Already had the ER32 faceplate and 4JIP on it after it was fitted, finishing up a part was working on (Nothing worthy of a post TBF)

4" flange certainly makes life easier, just need to source the allen grub screws and nuts for all the chucks now. Previously with the adapter, it was a case of swapping the adapter, using SHCS to secure the chuck to the adapter befoire fitting to the spindle. A lot of messing around that would eat up time I would rather spend on the project at hand.

s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpgs4.jpg

*** EDIT TO ADD PHOTS ***

Last edited:
Try looking up "Bernie" then if Brassic had you searching. The english language is great, but cockney is also fun, if a bit confusing to those unfamiliar with it.

Anywhoosle, time for some rosy before heading to bedfordshire. Luckily I don't have apples, so my biscuits and cheese are safe, but that don't mean my plates ain't sore from two days under the current bun doin what equated to an all day ball of chalk whilst doling out various amounts sugar and honey.

If you run out of sugar & honey, just go to the hole in the wall.

Almost finished with the cabinet.
Already scratched the top by putting a piece of cardboard on top and moving it... must have had something sharp, and the paint is not fully cured... still in the green state.

I am working on the dolly for the wheels, and then bringing it downstairs ...
From This: 20220829_180636.jpg To This: PXL_20240916_184057722.jpg

Back