POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Yep John on Doubleboost has a rich brogue.
Takes a while to get what he is on about sometimes.

Yep John on Doubleboost has a rich brogue.
Takes a while to get what he is on about sometimes.
we speak the same language, but when I first started listening I was wondering if we really do. I am used to many British words , so I convert most easily, but I had trouble for a while. Now I can listen to him at 1.5 to 1.75... can't go to 2 I lose it. Many youtubers I speed watch through. My adblocker is not blocking ads though the last week, and it's killing me. I get 3 minutes of content, and then 2 ads or more.. makes it hard to speed watch. I like John, he's a bit of a hack on some things, but on others I learn about steam and other small tidbits. And just helping him get views.

we speak the same language, but when I first started listening I was wondering if we really do. I am used to many British words , so I convert most easily, but I had trouble for a while. Now I can listen to him at 1.5 to 1.75... can't go to 2 I lose it. Many youtubers I speed watch through. My adblocker is not blocking ads though the last week, and it's killing me. I get 3 minutes of content, and then 2 ads or more.. makes it hard to speed watch. I like John, he's a bit of a hack on some things, but on others I learn about steam and other small tidbits. And just helping him get views.
The only thing "I" <smile> subscribe to is YouTube. No ads. I too speed watch, often on mute with closed captioning. I can read faster than they talk. With the paid version you can also see what parts have been watched the most, can help to find the relevant rather that all the chit-chat.

I haven't been able to get out to the shop much lately while dealing with some health issues, but I finally hit a point where I could begin. I picked up a little, tiny King Seely wood lathe years ago for free (it was given with a table saw purchase). The bearing surfaces were terrible (0.513" opening, spindle was 0.496", and that is a lot of play). So, the little thing sat for years because it was just not very usable. It is a perfect size for pen-making, so moving the pen-making mandrel to this little thing and away from my larger wood lathe would free up that one for other things.

I ordered a 1/2" ER16 collet spindle for a router that was 4" long on the shaft. Turns out that, as much advertisement they do on imperial measurements, they still can't identify it as a 12mm diameter shaft properly. So, purchasing some roller bearings and thrust bearings from McMaster-Carr, I jigged the headstock for the tiny thing up in my mini mill, and bored out each end for the roller bearings.

20240914_152924.jpg

20240916_123837.jpg

20240916_123852.jpg

20240916_123915.jpg

I still need to thread the rear end of the spindle and drill it out length-wise to allow the pen mandrel to be set farther in (and make the corresponding nut on the rear side), but I think this is going to work.

After the spindle/headstock modification for this little thing, I still have to make an actual morse #0 tailstock spindle, and make some solid nuts (mill clamping nut style) so I don't have to reach underneath to move the tool post all the time. The above boring job was enough to wear me out for days, so this project will take more time.

I ordered a 1/2" ER16 collet spindle for a router that was 4" long on the shaft. Turns out that, as much advertisement they do on imperial measurements, they still can't identify it as a 12mm diameter shaft properly.
We have one of the little carbide3D nomad CNC mill/routers/toys. It uses one of the 8mm ER collet spindles on pretty standard 8mm ID Bearings. Nothing special there. A Belleville washer to provide some preload to the bearings, and off they go. We've rebuilt the spindle a few times now. We use it to mill abrasive stuff we don't want near the HAAS.

Saw a new one yesterday, boy did they get big no longer a racecar in a box.
If they have I kind of didn’t notice.?.?.? Subaru has been using their “SGP” (Subaru Global Platform) for a few years now. That may have contributed to the size increase you’re noticing.
I really don’t feel like the car is any bigger than the 2015 WRX I owned. Then again, like you said even the 15-22s were good sized cars.

The “race car” thing is a whole other discussion. I have never felt that’s what a WRX is. I probably stand in a very small group with that one though.

All of that being said, the car is very nice & it can be really fun to drive. I would like to take it for a track day at Mid Ohio one of these days.

If they have I kind of didn’t notice.?.?.? Subaru has been using their “SGP” (Subaru Global Platform) for a few years now. That may have contributed to the size increase you’re noticing.
I really don’t feel like the car is any bigger than the 2015 WRX I owned. Then again, like you said even the 15-22s were good sized cars.

The “race car” thing is a whole other discussion. I have never felt that’s what a WRX is. I probably stand in a very small group with that one though.

All of that being said, the car is very nice & it can be really fun to drive. I would like to take it for a track day at Mid Ohio one of these days.
well it's the closest thing to buying a race car off the shelf in the affordable range.
I had a coworker that owned one. He said it was a hoot.

Back