POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Crane progress. Mostly painting a few small odds and ends. No images, 'cause it's UGLY! But it does have paint on it...

Finally did a quick clearance check on the driveshaft handwheel parts of the crane. Had a window open just a little, and moisture settled on these parts, rusting them. Will clean them up and paint or otherwise protect them.

This test was more about the rollers that carry this part because the paint turned out pretty thick on the beams. As expected some paint 'crunched off the beam when the rollers went over it. Maybe I'll try touch that up with a light spray of rattle can white. But it really isn't a big deal. I can brush a little LPS or similar to slow down any rust on the bare metal if I don't feel like painting it

Everything else clears too. Of course that was checked while this was on the floor...
Clear1.jpg Clear2.jpg

And a quick video of the chain spinning the gearbox, because my dad was standing there.

View attachment VID_20240828_190800063.mp4

Everything else clears too. Of course that was checked while this was on the floor...
View attachment 501270 View attachment 501269
I know folks get upset when I make statements like this, but here goes – did you have a Structural Engineer confirm that the "web thinning" was acceptable? I've seen the aftermath of too many "little modifications" not be be cautious.

I know folks get upset when I make statements like this, but here goes – did you have a Structural Engineer confirm that the "web thinning" was acceptable? I've seen the aftermath of too many "little modifications" not be be cautious.
Chazz, I believe that is only holding the two beams together, they are not load bearing, and only are there to keep alignment and to keep the two load bearing beams from separating.

Chazz, I believe that is only holding the two beams together, they are not load bearing, and only are there to keep alignment and to keep the two load bearing beams from separating.
Loads work in a number of directions, so there are reactions at all connections. However, DK and I have discussed my concern off-line: there is a plate that's not visible and he has things covered.

Edit: Moved to the correct thread...long days. lol.

Some more crane progress. Over a few days I literally slobbered yellow paint on the carriage. Drips and runs, and poor coverage, but it's fine for what it is. (I really need to set up a small paint booth!).

Everything clears, as expected, based on the fact that it cleared when it was on the ground.
UglyPaint.jpg

The carriage rolls easily. Four 2" rollers for the load, and 4 rollers for alignment (Now shown in the images.) I couldn't resist trying to pick *something* up. The little JD was sitting there so it was first. The front end is plenty light, so no worries about that weight. Next I lifted the back of the brush hog, as I'm going to pull the blades and sharpen them up.
LittleLift-Messy.jpg

Next steps will be to loosen a couple bolts on the carriage put some weight on it and then snug and torque them. Want to make sure everything is settled in before applying full torque.

After that, all of the bolts on the bridge and trucks will get torqued. They're pretty snug now, so just need to put a torque wrench on them, and give them a 'click' to be sure they're fully tight. There are 78 bolts to torque, so that may take a while.

Got my whole house generator, and moved it so my wife can park again... I wish it wasn't 1-2 months for the first permit
24abd9e68c78563b1939aad5b4c3424b.jpg
6e94717bb25b28be5dc2da64f6c7b0fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back