POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Made a mess today.
I am a good painter if I do say so myself, I can spray a nice finish. Usually...
Not today. Been refinishing a cabinet that I got maybe 2 years ago. 11 drawers... finishing it in my son's preferred colors so he can take it when I am no longer able to play with my toys.
So for the last week or so, I stripped the cabinet by sanding to bare metal, primed it in rustoleum rusty metal, then reprimed over that in clean metal (white) so I could get a nicer base for the blue.. redid the inside of all the drawers rustoleum smoke gray.. Everything has been good up until today. All primer coats sanded to a baby's smooth ass .

Today I started on the Sherwin Williams enamel. I bought it in 4/21 and used it on a map cabinet I gave my son for tools. It came out awesome.
Well, I could not figure out why the paint wasn't laying down. It was somewhat orange peeled. Somewhat gritty. I thought it was me. I kept doing things that should resolve the issue, but weren't. I went wetter, more flow, less air... more air, finer spray.. All were the same result. Added more mineral spirits... same.

I just kept going.. pot runs out, and then I noticed the pot. I hadn't really looked carefully ..The same grit it's spraying is on the walls of the pot.WTF.
this paint is not that old. Well, now I have an answer. It may not have been me. It may have been the paint. Straining which I always do was not taking it out. Chalk it up to if you instinct tells you something is wrong, don't always blame yourself.. sometimes it's the product.

I'll have to sand it out, and use it as a base coat, and get more of the color.

Attachments

• PXL_20240827_194729412.jpg
    PXL_20240827_194729412.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240827_194738396.jpg
    PXL_20240827_194738396.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 22
May be a daft question, but what size micron filters are you using?

I learnt the hard way to use the lowest micron filters (UPOL 125 micron) I could get but I went a step further and purchased some 60 micron sheet that I cut down into squares that sit in a paint only funnel. That ultra-fine mesh has save my ass more times than I can count in situations just like what you were facing.

I must admit, I am looking at having a dance with some 30 and 20 micron sheet since I have an inclination to see the results of the straining.

Yep, this is coarse, I am usually only worried about dried paint in The can. Never had this B4.
I could try a finer filter

Last edited:
Fascinating. Trying to wrap my head around obtaining a cove with a defined 7/8" radius, precise location on the stock and a specific depth, cut by a 10" diameter saw blade. And finish scraping it by hand with my total lack of woodworking skills doesn't sound like a recipe for success. I'll sure keep this in mind if the need should ever arise again though!

And thanks for the advice on the molding head. The spinning saw blade is bad enough for this amateur.....
YouTube….

Made a mess today.
I am a good painter if I do say so myself, I can spray a nice finish. Usually...
Not today. Been refinishing a cabinet that I got maybe 2 years ago. 11 drawers... finishing it in my son's preferred colors so he can take it when I am no longer able to play with my toys.
So for the last week or so, I stripped the cabinet by sanding to bare metal, primed it in rustoleum rusty metal, then reprimed over that in clean metal (white) so I could get a nicer base for the blue.. redid the inside of all the drawers rustoleum smoke gray.. Everything has been good up until today. All primer coats sanded to a baby's smooth ass .

Today I started on the Sherwin Williams enamel. I bought it in 4/21 and used it on a map cabinet I gave my son for tools. It came out awesome.
Well, I could not figure out why the paint wasn't laying down. It was somewhat orange peeled. Somewhat gritty. I thought it was me. I kept doing things that should resolve the issue, but weren't. I went wetter, more flow, less air... more air, finer spray.. All were the same result. Added more mineral spirits... same.

I just kept going.. pot runs out, and then I noticed the pot. I hadn't really looked carefully ..The same grit it's spraying is on the walls of the pot.WTF.
this paint is not that old. Well, now I have an answer. It may not have been me. It may have been the paint. Straining which I always do was not taking it out. Chalk it up to if you instinct tells you something is wrong, don't always blame yourself.. sometimes it's the product.

I'll have to sand it out, and use it as a base coat, and get more of the color.
First time I tried painting a bumper in my car... it cost me an arm and a leg and two shoes. Oh, and some paint remover to clean the tiles in the garage... and and... never knew, until then, how hard it was to remove car paint from my skin...

dscn0569_800x600.jpg

dscn0526_800x600.jpg

Had to take the parts to a professional that proceeded to undo the mess I made and painted everything to perfection (color matched and everything)...

And I have not tried using a spray gun since on any auto body parts... only on rims...

First time I tried painting a bumper in my car... it cost me an arm and a leg and two shoes. Oh, and some paint remover to clean the tiles in the garage... and and... never knew, until then, how hard it was to remove car paint from my skin...

View attachment 501158

View attachment 501157

Had to take the parts to a professional that proceeded to undo the mess I made and painted everything to perfection (color matched and everything)...

And I have not tried using a spray gun since on any auto body parts... only on rims...
when you do a bumper, you need to add plasticizer to the paint so it remains flexible.

Tore apart this totaled Mavic R-Sys wheelset:

IMG_6645.jpeg

IMG_6644.jpeg

I volunteer at a local bike kitchen (Länsi-Vantaan Pyöräpaja) and somebody brought these wheels in as spares after being ran over by a car :guilty:

The unroadworthy carbon Tracomp spokes will be reused as bag stiffeners as I agreed to give them to a friend who makes bags for cycling. Other than those and a set of NSK bearings, there wasn’t much to salvage.

And of course I had to source some really specific tools for the project, as we all do know that the French copy no one and no one copies the French :grin:

Last edited:
Got a voicemail yesterday from the guy who bought my big saw and Hardinge lathe . He said he was looking for more crap . I've got it ! :big grin:

as we all do know that the French copy no one and no one copies the French
Hahaha, that’s a great line! Will have to remember that one.

I’ve been binge-watching reruns of early 2000’s Paris-Roubaix and Tour de Flandres on YouTube lately. Never really watched much cycle racing before — it’s pretty exciting.

Tore apart this totaled Mavic R-Sys wheelset:

View attachment 501184

View attachment 501185

I volunteer at a local bike kitchen (Länsi-Vantaan Pyöräpaja) and somebody brought these wheels in as spares after being ran over by a car :guilty:

The unroadworthy carbon Tracomp spokes will be reused as bag stiffeners as I agreed to give them to a friend who makes bags for cycling. Other than those and a set of NSK bearings, there wasn’t much to salvage.

And of course I had to source some really specific tools for the project, as we all do know that the French copy no one and no one copies the French :grin:

My friend Dick (who owns French cars, has a home in France and is married to a Cajun) always to said this too. “The French follow no one, and no one follows the French”

John

Back