POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Window motor going in now . Got the wrong unit and got the correct one for a Coupe . Tested and the old one was definately bad . The vapor barrier is a PITA but getting taped in . I'm in the shade so not a bad job now. :encourage:

I'm in the shade so not a bad job now. :encourage:
New assembly is installed and working ! :encourage: Now to fill the little Honda up with gas to triple the value ! :grin::grin: This is my beater vehicle and it gets about 35 MPG . Although I don't drive much since being retired , I like having this vehicle around . Beats a $700 car/truck payment every month .

New assembly is installed and working ! :encourage: Now to fill the little Honda up with gas to triple the value ! :grin::grin: This is my beater vehicle and it gets about 35 MPG . Although I don't drive much since being retired , I like having this vehicle around . Beats a $700 car/truck payment every month .

I should have gotten something like that when I was commuting to Reading instead of putting 110+ miles a day on my Catera.

Spent the last day upgrading the VFD in my mill, the factory VFD was a 3 phase input and was undersized to run on single phase despite the manufacturer stating it could be run on single phase, The previous standard was to up-size a 3 phase input VFD by 1.7 to run on single phase, but the current standard is a minimum of 2 and sometime higher as VFD's have less reserve capacity to handle the increased THD when running on single phase. My mill uses a 3 Hp TEBC vector motor which draws 8.5A (FLA) and runs from 20-200 Hz. The factory VFD had a 12A rating in heavy duty mode (constant torque) so was a bit undersized and was prone to trigger an over voltage fault when stopping from higher RPM's. I recently was able to pick up a larger new Yaskawa V1000 at about 1/4 of list price and it is rated for 20A 3 phase output. Fitting it into my existing VFD cabinet with a modified control system was challenging due to the tight space and it just fit. I also replaced the braking resistor with a lower ohm unit specified for the larger VFD. The new VFD had different mounting hole locations so used my DRO for drilling coordinates using some phenolic board as a template to drill mounting holes on the back plate.

Install took some time as some of the wiring needed to be modified and programmed the VFD. With the larger VFD I no longer have any fault condition from too quick stopping and I use a 3 second acceleration/deceleration time frame. There is a lot of inertia in the system when spinning at 4500 RPM.

Factory VFD with heavily modified control system. I also added a DC buss choke at that time, which decreases the THD and increases the VFD capacity when running on single phase. I added a timer relay to shut off the motor's electric fan after the motor stops, as the default setup has it running continuously.
Factory installed VFD 12A three phase output.jpg

Replacement larger VFD.
New VFD and braking resistor  20 A three phase output.jpg

Rebuilt the other arbor press. (Back story in this early post)
As delivered:
main shaft was 2.296",
casting bore: 2.335"
gear bore: 2.331"
lock ring: 2.336"
handle 2.347"
With 51 thou slop between the handle and the shaft it pivots on, it makes for a sloppy feel. Add in that the shaft and casting have another 40 thou clearance, and the whole thing felt like a limp noodle.

I sleeved the shaft with a bronze bushing, and reduce those clearances to about 4 thou by boring out the gear and handle. Didn't take pictures of the details this time around, pretty much the same as last round.

IMG_5532.JPG
IMG_5533.JPG

I wanted to replace the M8 bolts that hold the handle together, and take up the play in the press bar, since the factory ones were ridiculously long (40mm when 20 suffices). I went with brass ones, because why not?

Now I need to sell the first one. Just takes up space in the shop but not a fan of dealing with a parade of tire kickers. Unfortunately too big to easily ship.

Last edited:
Eldest daughter is heading to college today, so I wanted to make her a locking skewer for the front wheel on her bike. All went smoothly until I realized the front axle was M5, not M6, so I had to drill out the axle a scotch. Still plenty of meat left thoughIMG_3905.jpegIMG_3906.jpegIMG_3909.jpegIMG_3910.jpeg

Back