POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

GOt my scales mounted today, tomorrow im going tonwire up my vfd and see if thats the way i want to go with it, scoot it into its home. And spend however long leveling and aligning my lathe finally. Lost a couple weeks to a kidney stone, brw dont get one in central illinois not enough pp docs foe the work.....
1000003948.jpg1000003949.jpg

AFAIK, nobody from my generation (and probably GrifterGuru's generation) called them rim brakes here in the UK. They're called caliper brakes this side of the pond.
Iirc that’s what we called them in the Mid-Atlantic states in the 60’s as well!

Last edited:
It finally feels like some crane progress! Of course, getting there meant digging out the scaffold again. And of course it wouldn't fit under the crane with the rollers in place!

The first steps were to mount the cross braces between the beams that make the bridge. Which wasn't a big deal, until mounting the ones that are X'd out. Those are A LOT heavier, and the shoulders are still hurting, so the lift was not fun. Holding them overhead while sneaking bolts and nuts into place, 0 out of 5 stars. Not recommended!
FirstStep.jpg

Once all the cross braces were mounted on one side, the second beam could be slid up to the braces, and bolted up. That was a little easier although it took a couple of tries to get the two beams aligned. At this point it really started to look like a bridge crane!
GettingThere.jpg

Last step, was pretty sketchy. Had to jack up the each end of the bridge, and roll the trucks underneath then bolt them up. That was accomplished one end at a time with a floor jack, 10 foot 2x6 with a cross piece, and my wife's assistance. Once the bolts were in place on the trucks, it was a matter of snugging up all the bolts, which pulled the bridge back into square. Surprisingly few problems.

You can just see the truck on the far end. Now that it's on the trucks, I'm surprised how easily they allow the bridge to roll. Had to block it in place until the driveshaft and clocking chains are in place.
Trucks.jpg

Next steps are to paint the driveshaft, driveshaft bearing supports, and chain fall carriage, and the driveshaft handwheel carriage.

Really happy with white paint on this. It's bright enough to not loose any light when the crane is under the lamps. Also, the crane clears the ceiling with the expected 1-1/2" of clearance. This 3D cad stuff really works! :)

It finally feels like some crane progress! Of course, getting there meant digging out the scaffold again. And of course it wouldn't fit under the crane with the rollers in place!

The first steps were to mount the cross braces between the beams that make the bridge. Which wasn't a big deal, until mounting the ones that are X'd out. Those are A LOT heavier, and the shoulders are still hurting, so the lift was not fun. Holding them overhead while sneaking bolts and nuts into place, 0 out of 5 stars. Not recommended!
View attachment 500270

Once all the cross braces were mounted on one side, the second beam could be slid up to the braces, and bolted up. That was a little easier although it took a couple of tries to get the two beams aligned. At this point it really started to look like a bridge crane!
View attachment 500269

Last step, was pretty sketchy. Had to jack up the each end of the bridge, and roll the trucks underneath then bolt them up. That was accomplished one end at a time with a floor jack, 10 foot 2x6 with a cross piece, and my wife's assistance. Once the bolts were in place on the trucks, it was a matter of snugging up all the bolts, which pulled the bridge back into square. Surprisingly few problems.

You can just see the truck on the far end. Now that it's on the trucks, I'm surprised how easily they allow the bridge to roll. Had to block it in place until the driveshaft and clocking chains are in place.
View attachment 500268

Next steps are to paint the driveshaft, driveshaft bearing supports, and chain fall carriage, and the driveshaft handwheel carriage.

Really happy with white paint on this. It's bright enough to not loose any light when the crane is under the lamps. Also, the crane clears the ceiling with the expected 1-1/2" of clearance. This 3D cad stuff really works! :)
Congrats on progress. I know what you mean about that CAD/clearance issue. Hard to be totally confident it will all work out, and the idea of having to redo any of that work is ugly.

3D Cardboard Aided Design? :laughing:

Seriously though, that is a very nice setup and a well proven good choice for the white on the gantry.

@dkemppai
Great progress. Glad it went well.

I'm wondering if you previously posted about the mounting the long grey beams on the walls.
If you posted about that, in this thread, can you reply with an approximate date to narrow the search?

3D Cardboard Aided Design?
Don't laugh, Cardboard Aided Design was used!
A few of the parts were traced out, then cut from the template... Not everything needs that fancy computer CAD stuff! lol.

I'm wondering if you previously posted about the mounting the long grey beams on the walls.
Honestly, have been avoiding posting those details. I chose a mounting scheme that I would not want anyone copying without doing engineering/testing on. I'm 100% comfortable with what was done, but concerned someone might try to copy it without understanding the design intent or subtilties of the design. (Even then, I plan on a stout load test at the wall before I'll call it done.)

They went into place before the walls were insulated and board installed. Wanted a clean wall below the crane for cabinets, or anything else to hang on the wall. Just like the low overhead design, it was optimized for my particular 'needs' (Or my OCD!).

Eldest daughter is heading to college today, so I wanted to make her a locking skewer for the front wheel on her bike. All went smoothly until I realized the front axle was M5, not M6, so I had to drill out the axle a scotch. Still plenty of meat left thoughView attachment 500219View attachment 500220View attachment 500221View attachment 500222
Congratulations on the daughter being college bound. Ours was visiting this weekend with her boyfriend, they’re both engineers and great to have around.

John

Back