POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Thanks; it appears to be the same (or a variant) as the WEN BA4555: https://wenproducts.com/products/wen-ba4555-5-inch-metal-cutting-benchtop-bandsaw

I think I keep looking for a quality horizontal mount for my DeWalt Portaband that lives in a SWAG Vertical Table
Yep that's the one. The vice is a bit crap but other than that, it's been really good.

My concern would be that it appears the right end of the bench is overhanging the end of the frame: I would place it so that all of the base is inside the frame and preferably centered between one of the cross supports and the end of the frame.

That overhang side of the bench will be up against a wall; obviously the table will need space to move left and right, so the base of the mill will be more central. I will mount the base as far over towards the wall as possible, but it'll have to be mounted at least 20-ish inches from the wall, so yeah, well away from that overhang.

That area below that overhang will have a stack of 5" polyprop pipes for bar stock storage and a couple of shelves at the top for square stock.

Last edited:
I made a couple of T-nuts to fit into the slot for the moveable jaw on my HF Horizontal/vertical bandsaw as to use step blocks/toe clamps to hold material going lengthwise with the blade.
Of course they were made because I need them to continue with something else.

not too difficult in theory. I'm using the Caswell LCD method. in practice it's a bit fussy. follow the instructions faithfully and it works exceedingly well. You would need a constant current DC power supply, a glass thermometer, a volt amp meter combo, some small plastic containers, a fish tank air pump, titanium wire, and patience.

Chemicals
battery acid from any auto parts store
ammonia for PH control
Desmut acid from Caswell
dyes and nickel acetate sealer from Caswell

join the Caswell forums and start reading they have all the info you need to get started.
Biggest things are absolutely clean NO OILS, maintain PH in the dyes, 70 F in the acid bath, keep current density at proper levels via 720 rule.

use the Caswell calculator

I find that 0.6 mils anodizing layer works best for dye pickup and is plenty durable.

If you want to buy one of Caswell's kits you get all the stuff at once.
I have no association with Caswell other than a satisfied customer. Happy they tolerate us hobby types and sell small quantity chemicals.

I pieced all my stuff from eBay and surplus auctions. Chemicals from Caswell's Amazon store or Ebay Store.

Happy to discuss. I'm learning too. Not out of the question for anyone who can machine aluminum to anodize their parts to final finish. Hard anodizing is also easily done, just ice the acid bath down to 40 F and follow the current density recommendations. It won't color well though. but is very durable.

Wish I would have started this years ago.

Probably easier to send projects to you…………. :p

One more little project on the drill mill then back to work on the lathe.
Z axis hand wheel upgrade.
Never cared for the plastic fantastic hand wheel.
IMG_8452.jpeg
I picked up a nice aluminum wheel for around $30.
IMG_8513.jpeg
Had to bore the center from .375" to .509"
Tap for a 1/4" set screw and make a .152" spacer
IMG_8518.jpeg

IMG_8530.jpeg

IMG_8551.jpeg

IMG_8558.jpeg

IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_8546.jpeg

IMG_8559.jpeg

Fun and satisfying little project.

Last edited:
Started to convert my hybrid, 'sitting at/bandsaw/grinding' workbench into a plain workbench to mount my Warco Minor mill on.

Yesterday it looked like this:

View attachment 499530
View attachment 499531

Now it looks like this:

View attachment 499529
You'll notice there's a gap in the top layer. I ran out of 1" ply. Got to get some more tomorrow. So, 2" hardwood ply top with a 600 x 400 x 6mm mild steel plate between the mill base and the ply top.

That should be okay for an RF25 type, yeah?
I had an RF30 on a similar style industrial table with some plywood subfloor reinforcement. I think you'll probably be fine with the RF25.

It's been sometime since i've had some free time but i finally found some and i finish clearing out the spare room in my big garage, also i have the smaller bike a pressure wash. And is blue, i've put 0 miles scene i've painted and rebuild the engine its not even put together completely. Getting rid of garbage it's been a real struggle especially old electric equipment, there are places and bins for recyclable electronics but the opening are smaller than an A4 paper. Having couple of CRT monitors and old TV's took some sweet talking to get them trushed for free, one place wanted my entire paycheck to take them. No more leaving trash for later to throw away.
IMG_20240201_195219.jpgIMG_20240203_152539.jpgIMG_20240204_161657.jpgIMG_20240205_155554.jpgIMG_20240205_142906.jpgIMG_20240205_152719.jpg

Seriously they sent you home same day? They kept me in the hospital for 3 days. Now the surgeon did say, (it was worse than we thought). I was like what does that mean? :confused: My recovery was quick, I was off the walker after a couple of weeks. Just take it easy and follow the instructions about turning your foot inward. As gruesome and barbaric as this surgery is I was surprised how fast I healed up. The 18 months was from the start of the hip pain until they finally agreed to do the surgery.
Sometimes the wait is worth it. Back in 1969 I was skiing when a kid out of control put the tip of his pole into my right knee. I got bandaged up at the ski hill and headed home. The next day my knee was the size of a balloon. I went to the hospital, and they wanted to do surgery immediately.

When I started asking questions it was obvious at the time that knee surgery had a long way to go before it was considered mainstream. The cautions were that I would be out of action for at least a year, and when it did heal, they weren't sure if I would still have pain or even a full range of motion.

I opted to wait until the pain was to the point I couldn't take it then revisit the options. Over the years I had 3 minor surgeries cleaning out fragments and realigning things. Finally in 2004 I had the knee replaced. It was now all but an outpatient procedure. It took a month of intense therapy, and all was good to go. 20 years later things are still working fine.

It was so nice to be pain free I went back a few years later for another knee, and again for a hip. The only things left that need work are to replace the left shoulder and replace the brain with something a little more up to date. I'll hold off on the brain transplant for as long as possible. Every time I think of it, I remember the movie Young Frankenstein where Igor (Marty Feldman) took the brain of Abby Normal back to the doctor (Gene Wilder) for his creation.

I think it will be fine as the wife only runs it at a slow speed.

Ray
If the saw does eventually give up, you might want to replace it with something like this. It's a 1943 Delta 40-440 scroll saw. It's almost bullet proof. There's even a fancier model with infinite speed adjustments.

Attachments

• DSCF8028.JPG
    DSCF8028.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF8029.JPG
    DSCF8029.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 27
Back