POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

@extropic

With all due respect, how is a live centre of any use in a mill spindle? it is not like the tip would do anything.
Could a previous owner have used a threaded arbor in the live center not understanding the intended purpose ? It is possible the PO removed the ejection pins for some reason and lost them! It might be a one size fits all thing, at least a threaded ejection pin will make it work!
I don't give two hoots as to what the thread is for, I just need the thing to eject from the T/stock without using a mallet to knock it out.
The thread is used to hold the hooting ejection pin in place so you don’t need a mallet to eject the tool!

Last edited:
Reactions: rwm
If you as are looking for a new lathe, you might also look at the PM-1440-2SM-V, larger spindle bore, heavier lathe with variable speed. Are you upgrading from your G4003G lathe?
The PM's are on backorder and I'm not inclined to wait. There are a number of innovations and upgrades on the PM vs the G0709. I like the flat V belt drive. I sold the G4003G like 8 years ago and dropped out of machining altogether. Bad hip (that was 18 months of hell). About the time I healed up from the hip replacement my day job went nuts, director to managing director which became all consuming. Finally I retired about 6 months ago and started getting back into machining.

Finished today on making a new rocker arm for the wife's Excalibur scroll saw. We were moving it yesterday and adjusting the height of the stand when it happened. Never lift on the upper arm of the saw when moving it. It will cause great mechanical damage. (now they tell me)
IMG_3649.JPG

As you can see the cast aluminum didn't take much to destroy it.
An online search brought up a new rocker arm for sale but at $159.95 plus shipping I was not inclined to order.

Cut a piece of 6061 to the outside dimensions and then started cutting away anything that didn't look like the arm.
IMG_3653.JPG
Finished project and I reused the original needle bearings.
I think that I could probably now pick up the saw by the top arm with out damage but I am not going to try it.

Ray

Started to convert my hybrid, 'sitting at/bandsaw/grinding' workbench into a plain workbench to mount my Warco Minor mill on.

Yesterday it looked like this:

20240209_211527.jpg
20240209_211218.jpg

Now it looks like this:

20240811_191734.jpg
You'll notice there's a gap in the top layer. I ran out of 1" ply. Got to get some more tomorrow. So, 2" hardwood ply top with a 600 x 400 x 6mm mild steel plate between the mill base and the ply top.

That should be okay for an RF25 type, yeah?

Could a previous owner have used a threaded arbor in the live center not understanding the intended purpose ? It is possible the PO removed the ejection pins for some reason and lost them! It might be a one size fits all thing, at least a threaded ejection pin will make it work!

The thread is used to hold the hooting ejection pin in place so you don’t need a mallet to eject the tool!
The live centre was brand new, which is why it having a threaded end confused me. Again though, the arbour is fully part of the body of the centre.

We got a sales contract on the old house... I have been fixing everything that came up in the inspection... The big stuff, like replacing a few broken roof tiles, I left to a professional...

But stuff like replacing a toilet, leaking angle stop valves, GFCI outlet, removing some creative stuff my father-in-law did outside of code :D :rolleyes:, applying grout, etc.

Hoping all goes well and we can sell it by the end of the month...

Last edited:
Bad hip (that was 18 months of hell).
Was that 18 months from the start of your injury to recovery or, 18 months to recover from the surgery? Mishap after surgery?
I had my left hip replaced Thursday which was 5 months from when the pain made me realize I had a bad hip. Procedure started at 7:30 and I was sent home at 10:30, able to use a walker! I started using a cane 50% of the time today and I’m paranoid about messing up!

Finished today on making a new rocker arm for the wife's Excalibur scroll saw. snip>
I'm wondering if the rest of the system will accommodate the increased mass of the new arm? Do you think you might have to do some whittling on it to get the reciprocating mass down?

Was that 18 months from the start of your injury to recovery or, 18 months to recover from the surgery? Mishap after surgery?
I had my left hip replaced Thursday which was 5 months from when the pain made me realize I had a bad hip. Procedure started at 7:30 and I was sent home at 10:30, able to use a walker! I started using a cane 50% of the time today and I’m paranoid about messing up!
Seriously they sent you home same day? They kept me in the hospital for 3 days. Now the surgeon did say, (it was worse than we thought). I was like what does that mean? :confused: My recovery was quick, I was off the walker after a couple of weeks. Just take it easy and follow the instructions about turning your foot inward. As gruesome and barbaric as this surgery is I was surprised how fast I healed up. The 18 months was from the start of the hip pain until they finally agreed to do the surgery.

Last edited:
Started to convert my hybrid, 'sitting at/bandsaw/grinding' workbench into a plain workbench to mount my Warco Minor mill on.

View attachment 499531
Before I discuss your question: what is the model of the Warco horizontal bandsaw? While I could find room for the Grizzly 2x42 belt grinder, I could find room somewhere for a small vertical bandsaw if it's really as sturdy as that appears to be.

So, 2" hardwood ply top with a 600 x 400 x 6mm mild steel plate between the mill base and the ply top.

That should be okay for an RF25 type, yeah?
Can't answer your question about the load bearing capability of the new top as I don't have enough data (weight & footprint of the new mill, dimensions of the top, details of the frame supporting the top, where on the top will the mill be placed and how you are "laminating the two 1" think plywood layers – two continuous sheets tightly glued would be stronger than the multiple piece layout you have). My 124 lbs. LMS 3990 Mini-Mill is mounted on a heavy-duty legal-size two-drawer file cabinet with welded 16ga steel box frame construction; the cabinet is 18" W x 26-1/2" D:

20240811 Chazzs Mini-Mill Base post.jpg
Sitting atop the cabinet are:
  • Two, 18" x 26-1/2" layers of 3/4" particle board (glued together in a vacuum press).
  • 15" W x 18" D, 16ga Steel Chip Tray.
  • Three, 12-1/2" W x 15" D layers of 3/4" HW plywood (also glued-up in a vacuum press).
    The three-layer plywood plinth is just to make it possible to use the Y-Axis hand wheel.
In the distant past this cabinet with the particle board top successfully supported a RF-25 style mill with no issues.

Back