POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Cast some oar lock holders for an aluminum rowboat.
Best part was that I did it on vacation using scrounged parts including a hair dryer and charcoal. Lost foam technique. It all worked shockingly well.
What did you use as a refractory material?

Spent some time getting the new leadscrew and Mounting boss to a point of almost (75-80%) finished.

Original cross slide feed screw (top) Vs New cross slide feedscrew taking into account the full backwards travel of the cross slide after the saddle modification.

Both are 3/8 20 L/H. Using a die for that thread was entertaining.... Not often I create a "backwards" (left hand) thread using a die and I have all the fun of making a new feed screw nut and using the left hand tap to come yet!

SAM_0120.JPG

The Part finished carrier boss and the cap blank

SAM_0122.JPG

Yes, that is threaded, it is M34x1mm fine pitch. Easier to get a metric die than faff about single pointing it.

SAM_0122.JPG SAM_0123.JPG

Finally, all the parts together.... I will get these finished next week.

The spigot to the right of the threaded section on the carrier boss is only there as a way to mount it using my collet faceplate, the same with the cap blank. They are both part of the material they were turned down from (2" 6082 T6).

Looking at the new feed screw, from right to left, there is:

Imperial 50 division dial
Bearing race washer (feed screw to be machined so this is a tight sliding fit)
Gap (where bearings would be)
Bearing race washer. (feed screw to be machined so this is a press fit)
Boss between the two races
Bearing Race Washer (press fit)

I have the other bearing race washer, however, I need to skim the feed screw shaft down to a tight sliding fit for that one.

SAM_0121.JPG

Last edited:
A mini follower rest for an Atlas 6" lathe:

atlas_follower_rest_1.jpeg

Idea stolen from Frank Ford, http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Tooling/MiniFollower/minifollower.html

But this one doesn't sit on the tool holder, but just as the Atlas original, on the carriage, replacing the guard.

I mostly work on small parts, often in plastics, including ptfe, so I couldn't have used an original rest even if I had one. This is made of scrap: aluminium profiles, bearings from a discarded laser printer fuser etc. Don't have any router, so all parts hand cut, slots with a jewellers saw.

Bottom view:

atlas_follower_rest_2.jpeg

It just happened, the inside of the U-beam was wide enough for two 0.7 mm steel sheets to protect the sides of the V-groove on the carriage from the locking screws. One long screw across the profile to stabilise its sides.

Mounted in place. To get rid of play in the carriage screw lacking the guard, the brass nut for the carriage slide screw must be kept in place with the guard screw with washers.

atlas_follower_rest_3.jpeg

And running, turning a piece of nylon:

atlas_follower_rest_4.jpeg

First attempt, close enough for its intended use. The small end should have been 2.8 mm, this one is 2.80-2.83, couldn't have done this without the rest:
atlas_follower_rest_5.jpeg

Later on, I'll get me proper low-profile screws to have it fit snugly in place. Probably also make a stop screw agaist the compound rest, to set a max cut depth. I think this one will do just what I need.

Last edited:
Working on making a stand for the Walker-Turner 15” drill press. Using whatever I have here.

Cut the angle iron from racks that I don’t need.

IMG_6712.jpeg
Bolting it all with 1/4” bolts and nuts. Coat of anvil gray paint to match.

IMG_6713.jpeg

Added some casters with locks on 2”x6” secured to the bottom…

IMG_6715.jpeg

I still need to cut the shelves out of 3/4” panels leftover from the workshop…

It is wider than needed… 18”x18”. I did not felt like cutting the shelves side to make it 18”x12”. This way, it gives me some table space to place carp on it…

Last edited:
Working on making a stand for the Walker-Turner 15” drill press. Using whatever I have here.

Cut the angle iron from racks that I don’t need.

View attachment 497054
Bolting it all with 1/4” bolts and nuts. Coat of anvil gray paint to match.

View attachment 497055

Added some casters with locks on 2”x6” secured to the bottom…

View attachment 497056

I still need to cut the shelves out of 3/4” panels leftover from the workshop…

It is wider than needed… 18”x18”. I did not felt like cutting the shelves side to make it 18”x12”. This way, it gives me some table space to place carp on it…
I am curious how stable that will be. Also do the casters have a way of fully locking so they don't move or swivel?

I am curious how stable that will be. Also do the casters have a way of fully locking so they don't move or swivel?
The DP’s base is 18x12. I will place it centered on the top panel.

Caster are what I could find in my stash. All lock from rolling, but not from swivel.

It is going here, replacing that DP that is there. So not like I will be moving it around once I move it there…

IMG_6716.jpeg
I hope it is good enough…

I regret getting rid of the old stand… but too late for that now…

Old photo before I painted the DP.

IMG_6717.jpeg

Still might change the height… easy to do.

Last edited:
Making 6 planters for the backyard out of 1/4” plate.

82a13c4894e60cee0390ec5dcd57ee76.jpg

This one just finished welding.

486c02793e6c96e87a1bbf10d17b9055.jpg

This one is on the paint cart and the wife is painting it.

Lots of plasma, and TIG action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back