POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Ok this didn't just happen today but today I finished the last bike and last set of bags.
If you ride you may enjoy this.

I ride street, dirt, and everything in-between and have been for 51 years and I have seen a lot of motorcycles and a lot of setups for touring motocamping and just getting lost for days weeks and yes months. Some of my bikes are just what you see YZ WR "race bikes" but some have to do it all under me...

I now have more then 8 bikes and 5 different sets of bags that can go on and come off in under 1 minute and mount to anyone one of my bikes. The only bags that can't are for the CRF1000 and I can mount all 3 in under 1 minute and that don't move even in the hard rocky ST I ride in PA.

If you ever had to pack a bike for a LD ride you know how big this is. All of the bikes only have a small mount on each side
20240712_140256.jpg
And the CRF1000 has Quick connect racks that when they are off the bike you only have 4 small mounts on the bike so when I take it in the woods like I'm on my YZ/WR their is nothing sticking out to hit trees and I can ride it like it's a toy.

20240529_111848.jpg

It's raining and you stop for the day but you have to unpack your bike and your wet and beat up from a long day. Yeah I got this all off in under 1 minute and I don't have to check it all day it never moves..

20230429_122107.jpg

Okay it's time to pack for another BDR weekend I wish I could do something about tires we seem to eat them up faster than I can buy them..

Ran an Ethernet cable from the router at one end of the house through the attic and down inside a wall at the other end of the house (which was a “@$&? of a job). Lost about five pounds in sweat.

Then crimped the end into a wall socket, hooked up a second router and set it as an access point. First time for all of that! Now we have reliable WiFi in the living room :)

Any other suggestions? I'm just about to start putting paint on the crane project (Finally!). Using the hardware store version of Rustoleum, primer followed by paint. This isn't dead clean, and I'm not spending the time to get it there. Wire wheeled the surfaces to remove as much junk as possible. What's left isn't loose.

I'll wipe it down once or twice, and paint with a oil based paint. Brush and small roller.

View attachment 496717

On a side note, when the wire wheel starts to throw shrapnel everywhere, it's probably due to be replaced... lol.
View attachment 496716
That's how I prepped and painted mine. I used rustoleum primer and a Sherwin Williams topcoat. Seems to be holding up fine. Really once you get it assembled it is indoors and out of the way of random mechanical wear on the paint, so I don't think any exotic considerations are necessary.

Cast some oar lock holders for an aluminum rowboat.
1720886780245.png

1720886818428.png

Best part was that I did it on vacation using scrounged parts including a hair dryer and charcoal. Lost foam technique. It all worked shockingly well.

Ran an Ethernet cable from the router at one end of the house through the attic and down inside a wall at the other end of the house (which was a “@$&? of a job). Lost about five pounds in sweat.

Then crimped the end into a wall socket, hooked up a second router and set it as an access point. First time for all of that! Now we have reliable WiFi in the living room :)
Certainly overkill, but for anything semi-permanent I've gone to running made to order fiber. Single mode fiber, LC connectors to wallplates. Does mean buying devices that support SFP modules, which are pretty cheap for a lot of devices these days. That way upgrading to 10Gbps or faster is trivial. Admittedly I'm a tech geek, but I hate crawling through the attic or crawl space twice. And it has some RFI/surge protection advantages.

I ran 10G fiber the the latest PC. That required running in an attic with blown in insulation. I think it saved me any damage on that computer during the last lightning damage. Lost $3K worth of hardware, but all the computers on fiber and Tripp lite surge suppressors continued along just fine.

You will probably note, it a little twitchy about long copper runs anymore. This is the third event where we lost hardware...

The shop gets smaller and smaller…

Upgraded the lathe with TouchDRO but the tablet hasn’t found a permanent home yet.

10e1eefa6dd8468938bbeecbfdf665d8.jpg

Decided to make a small adapter stand for the end of a ball-socket articulated arm.

1) Form up the stand.

ef0b5d083e1fdc365eb2122d7cef3c98.jpg

97316f8fc4d7f5bf1a5861c4f15d06ff.jpg

Needs some sort of adapter…

2) Free hand a ball for the socket with a piece of mystery metal from the scrap bin. The end was bored out quite a bit so welding to the thinner sheet metal later should work a little better.

896514afce46639835fdbc47d334cfb8.jpg

93d6272e808243ba7c51582153323a49.jpg

0427ca96b8793bf4618969f7ca74dd21.jpg

I cheated at the end and found a ground bit from the Pass Around Box that was close enough to the socket radius.

3) Weld (meh…let’s go with stick together) the adapter to the holder. I was right at the end of my spool so I was able to sneak a couple of horrible tacks in place. But it held.

74f2b3e8ff7944e96b80781cb94da2b6.jpg

e542844d18eb3b8940db43afa148cf1e.jpg

It works! Tablet is off the table which represents about 1/2 sqft of valuable real estate up here in Vermont.

a719f842f51961cf2d60e7c463e90a2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in the shop, but I did use lots of tools. Electric hookup for new hot tub, on new deck, next to new ADU.

IMG_4984.jpeg

IMG_4985.jpeg

Fought me the whole way so ended up spending the whole day and making about 5 trips to the hardware store.

John

Picked up an old dividing head. The seller said it was a Brown and Sharpe No.2 but it appears to be a bit earlier than those but similar construction. Patent date is April 30, 1907 for the input shaft. It came with a really old skinner chuck. The whole head was seized up, I got the spindle to move. I fully disengaged the worm and that moves great but the spindle barely moves. I need to move it from vertical to horizontal but it is rusted in place. I fully removed the locking bolts but it still won’t budge. I have some evaporust on it currently but not enough. Tomorrow I’ll buy some more and soak the entire thing.

Attachments

• IMG_7081.jpeg
    IMG_7081.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7082.jpeg
    IMG_7082.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7083.jpeg
    IMG_7083.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7084.jpeg
    IMG_7084.jpeg